HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:21 AM
Ok, were is my plane?
West Jordan, UT USA
Joined Dec 2002
228 Posts
Just stumbled onto thread were do you guys fly at?

Chad
Magnolene is offline Find More Posts by Magnolene
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 09:54 AM
Ok, were is my plane?
West Jordan, UT USA
Joined Dec 2002
228 Posts
I just bought me a unicorn
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:57 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Hey Chad! Welcome to the thread! Congrats on buying one of the coolest planes on the market.

We're currently flying weekly at two locations. On Tuesdays and Fridays we do lunch flies at Orem Business Park, which is a right turn off the freeway at the UVSC exit. Just head west on University Parkway and you'll hit the park, which has a walking track that's wide one side for a landing strip.

On Saturday mornings we fly in Lehi, usually starting at 8:30 or 9 a.m. Just take the main Lehi exit, head west through town for about five minutes, and there's a middle school on the north side of the road. We fly at their field, which has a nice track that we use for runway.

As you can see reading through the thread, we generally get on here the day prior and arrange the sessions, let everybody know who's coming and not. We occasionally fly at other times and places too. You're welcome to come down and join us any time, the more the merrier. If you have any questions on configuration or flying the corn, we're always willing to help any way we can.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2004, 12:34 PM
Crash happens! :)
Utah
Joined Jun 2002
2,161 Posts
Arrow is offline Find More Posts by Arrow
Last edited by Arrow; Feb 18, 2007 at 10:53 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:29 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Yeah, the little wing I was flying is called the Gryphon. Made by the same guy that does the Unicorn. It is, in fact, just a mini Unicorn. It's an awesome plane. http://www.unicornwings.net

You can set it up cheaply with a brushed motor, and then soup it up later with a brushless. Mine is brushless, and the motor & speed controller together come to about $110. If you could get a CD-rom motor mounted you could probably just tear down an old CD and make it work with some effort. The wing kit is cheap, like $45 I think. Good instructions. It's my favorite solo plane right now.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2004, 02:47 PM
Me hover rong time
Salt Lake City Intl, Utah, United States
Joined Aug 2001
147 Posts
Ordering my wing now. How much of that covering tape will I need, or what are other methods for covering that work well?

thanks!

Brandon
BrandoUno is offline Find More Posts by BrandoUno
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:16 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
1 roll of tape will easily cover a unicorn but you will want 2 colors so you know when its upside down. Also you need some super 77 spray as tape doesnt hold to epp foam.

A lot of us have gone to ultra coat. I think it makes it fly a bit better and looks cool! You still need the spray though.
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Nov 07, 2004, 04:58 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
Brandon, if you can afford ultracote, it stays on a lot better than tape and looks 1000% better, plus there are more colors & styles to choose from. Tape is a nice temporary solution if you think you may want to make changes later, or if you're new to RC and the plane will take a lot of abuse up front. Tape can get you by until you have it flying well, then upgrade to Ultracote later. You can glue the ultracote on with Super77 and shrink it a little with an iron or hot air gun, or you can just glue it on without shrinking it. If you use enough spray, it stays on just fine and you don't have to worry about the shrinking process. I loan out my iron to local guys to do the ironing, if you want it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:17 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
Branduno's been in the hobby a while, he's probably familiar with all the stuff you guys have mentioned.

I'd agree though, go Ultracote with a little 3M77 spray underneath. It is by far the best finish.

Also, I think there are a few guys trying to get a SL county combat group together. I'll see if I can't get the rest of them to start posting here too so you guys can hook up.

It'd be great to get together and do a North vs South War at some point

Darren
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:58 PM
Me hover rong time
Joined Aug 2001
147 Posts
Thanks for the tips, I have been flying for some time, mostly large 1/3 gassers, but have very little "wing" experience. I used to sloap-soar a boomerang out at point.

I would LOVE to get a SL area combat group! Then we'd do some serious battle

Another question, I have a Mega 16/15/4, but am thinking of trading up for a -3 turn. What do you recommend? I will be flying with a 3s2p 3000mha setup on a 35amp ESC, or using my NiMH's, so it will be fairly hot.

Thanks again,

--B
Last edited by brandouno; Nov 08, 2004 at 12:11 AM.
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:44 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,855 Posts
If it were pretty far South in SLC, I'd probably join in on occasion. Sandy or as near the point as possible. As long as it didn't conflict with our Saturday morning session.

I can't imagine a head-on with somebody flying that kind of power in a Unicorn. I'm not sure how stable the Unicorn is at those kinds of speeds, either. It's renowned for having control issues at higher speeds. But it'd be cool to see someone figure it out and get it working, pave the way for others who might be interested in that.

Todd
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:36 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
With 3s packs, the 4t is plenty fast. You could drop to a 3T with a 5x5 but I'm not sure you'd really gain much speed. In combat, accelleration is at least as important as top end speed, so the 6" diameters we've all pretty well standardized on.

Which cells are you using in the 3000 pack? If they are Kokam 8C types, the 4T with a 6x5.5 is really about all they can handle anyway.

I know of a few parks in the Draper area suitable for combat if we wanna make a trip up here one day.

Darren
Old Nov 08, 2004, 10:13 AM
Me hover rong time
Joined Aug 2001
147 Posts
Ha, ok I'll stick with the 4t I got, then. I am in South Jordan area, so Sandy and Draper are easily within range.

My cells ARE the 8c 1500's. However, I also have a 3s2p 4000mha setup rated to 15c, or 60 amps, that I could try!

Where can I buy a 6x5.5 prop locally? Not sure if I have seen them at "Some Dude's" LHS.

--Brandon
Old Nov 08, 2004, 10:23 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,668 Posts
We always have to order them. I usually order 10 at a time -- but the way I've been going through props lately that lasts me maybe 3 weeks (not to worry, I'm the oddball prop-buster of the bunch).

6x4 or 5.5x4.5 also work well and are usually in stock at the LHS's. It is worth it to order some 6x5.5's though.

Darren
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:19 PM
Ok, were is my plane?
West Jordan, UT USA
Joined Dec 2002
228 Posts
Thanks Wind, Combat sounds great! Always have wanted to try it. I can't wait to get my Unicorn in the mail. I may come out next saturday if the weather is fair. do you require a standerd power system for combat.