Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2004, 02:15 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,947 Posts
I think UFO (Unlimited Flying Obcession) is good or we could do Wing Wars 1 (WW1 then WW2). We'll have to get Todd to do some art then Kevin to silk screen us some t-shirts.

I only use the low temp glue gun on everything but the 3M 77 for the covering. It is so fast and the low temp glue sticks remain flexible better than anything else I have tried. I hesitated to try it at first now I seldom use epoxy or anything else.

I broke a motor in while you were making your battery pack. I hooked it up to my esc without a prop and dropped it into a glass of water. I ran it at a variable speed untill the water looked a little grayish which is the brush surface wearing off and discoloring the water. I then pulled it out dried it and oiled it then started testing it for props on the thrust stand. It seems to be all that it takes and can be done in a few minutes. The water seems to help seat the brushes so thay make better contact.

We missed you at the building night Jared. We"ll do it again. It also might be a smart idea to go out to dinner with our wives one night too. We shouldn't forget those who tollerate our obcessions.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:00 AM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,822 Posts
Lee,

Okay, I got all my electrical done, and everything planned out. I need to cut in the last servo slot, and then I can start glueing the pieces in. I'm excited, it's gonna be a fun trainer plane.

How long should I leave the motor in the water? It seems odd sticking it in the water like that. I've had it in there for maybe 40 minutes and haven't noticed any graying of the water. I just wired up a AA battery directly to the motor so it's not using an ESC, Receiver or anything. Can I just leave it in the water and go to bed?

What kind of oil should I use? The only stuff I have is what came with my electric shaver, a light machine oil. How much do I put in? Do you only oil the shaft, or do you squirt it in there with the brushes?

And these J250 motors came with a clip/ring thing around them. Do you keep those on for any reason, or can I take it off?

If I can crash for a while with the motor in the water, I'm going to try to get up and finish this in the morning.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:13 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Oil the bearings/bushings only. Don't get oil on the brushes - a bad thing :-)
Dry it out good first - put in some place warm. Or blow the water out if you have compressed air.
Later
Wade
Wade Joos is offline Find More Posts by Wade Joos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2004, 03:15 AM
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
Is the battery you are using to break in a ni-cad? IF it is, you wouldn't want to over discharge it. If it is an alkaline - just leave it & go to bed. Let it run itself to sleep.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Wade Joos; Nov 26, 2004 at 03:17 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2004, 09:11 AM
Joined Aug 2002
1,230 Posts
New Name

Or, You could call yourselves

WING NUTZ

Because after all ----
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2004, 10:55 AM
Lee
PERFECT LANDING !!!
USA, UT, Orem
Joined Jul 2004
8,947 Posts
I take the clip ring off the J250. I only have the motor in the water for 5 minutes or so. I use sewing machine oil for lubricant and put a tiny drop on each end of the motor evey time I fly. I'm sure your razor oil is OK.

The speed 400 motors darken the water quickly. I pull the J250 out as soon as the water isn't crystal clear anymore. It doesn't take long and mine seem to run well and last long. I still haven't replaced my origional motor and you have an idea of how long it has flown. I use the esc as the power source because I'm lazy and it seems to work faster. I break it in with a variable throttle.

I dry the motor by running it so water isn't trapped int the bearing and left to sit. I oil it as soon as it is semi dry and oil it again after a few minutes of running hoping the rest of the water is gone then every time I fly. Then fly, fly, fly.

Lee
Lee is online now Find More Posts by Lee
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:37 PM
More Combat Please!
Utah
Joined Dec 2003
7,822 Posts
Hey, Wing Nutz! I like that! UWN, Utah Wing Nutz. Hehe.

Cool, thanks for the info! motor is broken in and oiled. Ready to rock! My wing is almost done, just need to attach elevons and cover.

I'm going to go fly in about 2 hours (around 2:30-3:00 p.m.) at the Pleasant Grove Cemetary (the open lot without graves). Let me know if you want to come Lee! Take out the new plane and the gryphon.
Wind_of_Change is offline Find More Posts by Wind_of_Change
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2004, 01:57 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
What the heck are barrings and bushings? I just squirt a drop of oil in the little holes in the front and back of the motor. Is that wrong? I sure hope I havent ruined a $.50 motor :-)
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Nov 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
I think we're pretty settled on UFO. Utah Flyers Organization will be the "official title" -- it does sound most official -- I'll use, but feel free to call it whatever you like.

Here's the link to the thread in the "Club" section
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...96#post2949296

There we can discuss ANYTHING of club interest, including those neat little models Todd, Christian and Tony have in their offices.

I'm off to "Sponge Bob" but I did get at least some flying in (little wing handles wind very well BTW), and all my Christmas lights done.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze