Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2004, 08:01 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Quick question...I just built my second unicorn..first one lasted about 100 crashes.....this one seems a bit heavy.....25oz with a 9 cell 1050 kans..42 inches..what is everyone elses weight...thanks
Bill
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2004, 09:32 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
you know with all the crap I have to put my planes together I dont have a scale! I have a 6oz battery way up in the nose and no extra lead so its pretty light but Im not sure exactly.

Dude Todd!!! Those are awsome! I have a few testor 1/48 scale planes in my office and I thought I was cool! Freek....I suck! :-)
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Nov 03, 2004, 01:34 PM
American Fork, UT
Joined Dec 2001
159 Posts
Thor, I don't have a scale so I can't weight my Unicorn for an AUW. But I can say you won't have a problem, at all. I'm flying my 42" with a speed 400 motor and 8 of the 1950 cells (alot heavier than yours). I really like the way it flies, good balance of performance and duration. I have some of the 1100's just haven't flown with them yet. I expect them to make it an even better flyer!

BTW guys, the Kadet repairs were made last night. Just one more night rebuilding a little damage in the wing.... and she'll be good to go again soon. I'm suprised how well it stood up to a tree!
VortexOfPain is offline Find More Posts by VortexOfPain
Old Nov 03, 2004, 01:38 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
THanks a lot but it has been raining all week and I have not had a chance to maden my corn.........thanks for getting back with me though.....I still have not really heard of an avg weight for a 42 inch corn.....hummmm
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Old Nov 03, 2004, 02:32 PM
Corn-holio
Provo Utah
Joined Mar 2004
900 Posts
Most of us that combat here have the full 48". VOP is the first one Ive seen here that is cut down.

Good to hear about your repairs VOP. That sure is a pretty plane. It was fun to go after those parachutes too! Even though they were in the upper stratosphere!

The highlight of yesterday though was Darren flying his unicorn even though it broke all the laws of flight. It was folding in half as he flew but somehow even after hitting the barbed wire at full throttle he still flew it. I couldnt stop laughing!
Jared_Zygote is offline Find More Posts by Jared_Zygote
Old Nov 03, 2004, 03:33 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared_Zygote
The highlight of yesterday though was Darren flying his unicorn even though it broke all the laws of flight. It was folding in half as he flew but somehow even after hitting the barbed wire at full throttle he still flew it. I couldnt stop laughing!
Agreed. I just about fell over laughing when he simply tossed the wreckage of his unicorn into the air and it still flew!

It looked like an ornithopter when he wagged the elevons causing each side of the wing to flap like bird wings.

Man, after all the carnage of yesterday, it was a great way to end.

Glad to hear that the Kadet is OK, Jake. I was really sad when it smacked that wing against the tree...
Airhole is offline Find More Posts by Airhole
Old Nov 03, 2004, 04:20 PM
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Has anyone looked at the weather for this weekend? It looks like high 50's and sunny for Saturday. Not exactly warm, but I'll take it over cold and snowy.

I'm hoping to be able to come down and get some combat done this weekend. I think my plane may be flight worthy by then.

From the sounds of it I have about the only problem that will ground a unicorn - no power.

What happened to Darren's Unicorn that would allow it to fold in half? Did you break your spare?
nybpete is offline Find More Posts by nybpete
Old Nov 03, 2004, 04:44 PM
Tight is Right
Lehi, Utah, United States
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
If by "spare" you mean "Spar" yes. Here's how it went down:

I managed to rip the wing almost entirely in half right down the center in a high speed head-on with Todd (my plane is a bit weak in the center after replacing a couple of tubes and expanding the battery bay).

I thought that was bad but was sure it would still fly, so I flew some more. At this point, everyone started getting curious. Todd and I were still chasing each other when a I dove a bit too low and hung my unicorn right on the barbed wire fence. That's when the comedy of errors really started. The wire ripped the rest of the way through the front of the plane, but it was still barely holding together.

So of course I threw it again.

I got it up to speed and it started flapping like a wounded duck. It was hilarous.

It was that kind of day though. We were chasing parachutes, ditching in the mud, blasting winglets off newbies.... just a fun lunch of mayhem.

BTW, the Unicorn will be headed into major reconstructive surgery this evening. Prognosis is cautiously optimistic for a full, combat-ready recovery by Friday.
Darren Hintze is offline Find More Posts by Darren Hintze
Old Nov 03, 2004, 05:25 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Hintze
the Unicorn will be headed into major reconstructive surgery this evening. Prognosis is cautiously optimistic for a full, combat-ready recovery by Friday.
Old Nov 03, 2004, 05:51 PM
Joined Jun 2001
343 Posts
Do you have a spare spar Darren?
nybpete is offline Find More Posts by nybpete
Old Nov 03, 2004, 07:50 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
If he hadn't a spar that was spare, could you spare a spare spar?
Old Nov 03, 2004, 08:34 PM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
I have a spare spar on par with the spar that will soon be a spare
Old Nov 03, 2004, 09:26 PM
just wing it
Foresthill, California
Joined Jul 2004
698 Posts
I had a spare spar, that I left in my car.
When a bear came a-wandering near, from afar.
As he passed by my car; got a wiff of tar-tar
That was packed in a jar, by the spar in my car.
Flappy is offline Find More Posts by Flappy
Old Nov 03, 2004, 10:44 PM
Your flyer is down...
Joined Jan 2004
101 Posts
Har!! Har!! :d
Old Nov 04, 2004, 09:26 AM
Tight is Right
Joined Dec 2001
7,659 Posts
Glue is drying on the major repair. Some additional reinforcing CF tape will be inserted into slots in the foam to act as "stitches" to seal the foam back together.

After examining the amount of missing foam near the back end of the plane, I may have to spray some filler foam in that area. Fortunately it's not in an area that will be directly hit (by the motor tube) but the flexing will probably eventually pulverize the filler foam.

I may try friday without it and see how well she holds together.

Darren