SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:30 AM
New Zealand
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Guillow's Spitfire as electric R/C

I recently purchased a Guillow's 27" span Spitfire kit. The intention was to simply fly it as a rubber powered FF model. HOWEVER, I note that the makers of the kit (which must be a 30 year old design at least) indicate that it can be converted to R/C.

Now, on the understanding that it probably won't fly very well whatever I attempt to do with it, do you think a conversion to electric/R/C is worth considering? I was thinking maybe 3 channel with a 400 up front???
Clipperkite is offline Find More Posts by Clipperkite
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2002, 01:19 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
I'm debating the same thing... Thinking of scaling up a peck rubber FF scale P-51 to 37" (1:12) and running a geared SP280, but I've got questions about it, too. I built one wing as a prototype, but it came in a bit heavier than I'd like and it has a ton of flex. I guess I'll see! Worst case, I move the gear into a gifferent design

FF planes are built *extremely* light; SP400 might be too heavy. You might want to look at a geared SP100 for a plane that small, but FF-electric slow flyer conversions are pretty common
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Feb 23, 2002, 04:17 AM
New Zealand
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Thanks Steve. I appreciate your comments.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 09:31 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
here's mine:
Shawn Palmer is offline Find More Posts by Shawn Palmer
Old Feb 24, 2002, 09:38 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
Welcome to an exercise in masochism!

I can tell you what doesn't work:

All versions use a 7cell 500MaH pack as far up the nose as possible to balance.

#1) gws lightstick drive w/10,9,and 8" props - not enough pitch speed - no go.

#2) Icarus 280 geardrive - too much torque not enough wingspan/speed to counteract - no go.

Yet to test: 280DD. I'm pretty sure this is the ticket for this particular plane; speedy and smooth, yet not overweight.

I'll finish it when it proves it can fly..........

Shawn
Old Feb 25, 2002, 04:36 PM
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Sep 2001
528 Posts
What gearbox ratios did you use on those? Think a 6.6:1 SP280 turning a GWS 13x9 would do it? Top speed would be slowish (I'm thinking 20mph) but this is meant to be a small park flyer... I'll get an FFX plane when I decide to throw some power at it
Steve Fehr is offline Find More Posts by Steve Fehr
Old Feb 25, 2002, 11:57 PM
Costa Mesa, CA
Joined Jul 2001
126 Posts
Guillows FW-190 Conversion

I'm working on a Guillow's right now as well -- the FW-190.

So far, the AUW looks to be ~9oz.

However, I'm not sure what kind of motor to put in it. Here are some of my thoughts (though I haven't tried any):

a) DD280 (6x4 or 7x5 prop)
b) M100 (prop that comes with the motor / gearbox
c) 3.5:1 w/9x7.5E prop

In regards to the torque problem mentioned previously, what does it cause the plane to do?

I put the landing gear on mine with the intention of ROG...will this even be possible?

Regards,
Rooster
Rooster287 is offline Find More Posts by Rooster287
Old Feb 26, 2002, 08:30 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
ok,
Geardrive and L/G will not work together on mine - too much prop. DD and gear would probably be ok though.

The combined factors of torque from the big prop, small wingspan, and too little airspeed caused it to roll left/tipstall left and go in about 20ft from launch.

I have the particular problem of being forced to use big batts in this one to make it balance, so it's a little overweight, combined w/small = fast plane.

I just haven't tried it w/the right pitch speed setup yet (30mph+)

I've seen plenty of them done (FF warbirds) as indoor/no wind flyers w/low ratio GWS drives and ~8" props, But I have no Idea how they got them to balance correctly.

I've also seen a few w/280DD that were very good flyers, as long as the speed was kept up.

One more hint: I took the original ABS cowl and used it as a former for a .5oz (4 or 6 layer) fiberglass cowl. After 6+ attempted flights, still not a scratch. The original woud've been in 20 peices after the first.

Shawn
Old Feb 27, 2002, 04:30 PM
oakdale, ny, usa
Joined Aug 2000
3,985 Posts
sounds like a wal mart foam vipe p51

There was thread on indoor flyers covering a Cox P-51. I think it was the Viper.

They used a GWS A direct drive. Some used a GWS 4046(johnson 250) motor.

The same set up might work on the Spit
poobs is offline Find More Posts by poobs
Old Mar 01, 2002, 05:36 AM
New Zealand
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Thanks chaps and especially P/F.

Gulp... the whole project is starting to look extremely fraught!

Maybe I should reconsider. Blast...

So are we saying that a 27" R/C Spit isn't really a goer or is the Guillows kit itself simply not suitable for conversion?

On refelection it seems silly to throw your heart and sole into a project that has not prospect of success.
Old Mar 01, 2002, 06:54 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,270 Posts
Get yourself a copy of the Python from Mark Rittinger (see the construction section of ezone!). Use it as a basis for a conversion.

You won't need any of the wood from the Guillows kit, just the plans, canopy and some molded plastic parts.

I love my Python!

It is a very fast, very fun plane. Not a parkie!

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 01, 2002, 07:30 AM
Unregistered Foamsmith
Canada
Joined Nov 2001
421 Posts
I have both the Guillows 27 inch P-40 and the Spitfire converted to speed-400. It was so inspirational it caused me to create the FFX Fighter line.

I loved the end product but not the length of time to convert it from stringers to a fully balsa sheeted aircraft.

The only things I used from the kit was the plastic vacuum parts, fuselage and wing formers. Then sheeted the entire aircraft with 1/32 balsa. Simply re-cut a new tail from 1/8 sheet and viola.

All I can say about how they fly is "fast and furious" on 7 cells.

Have fun Clipperkite. It will work out if you keep at it
Ken Manuel is offline Find More Posts by Ken Manuel
Old Mar 02, 2002, 09:20 PM
New Zealand
Joined May 2001
14 Posts
Andy and Ken, thanks for that. I've had a look at the Python as suggested. It looks like a very good approach to the problem. I'll have a go and see what happens.

One other thing. Do you think the project would work with a Speed 280 or 300? I just thought it might give me a slightly more manageable model.
Old Mar 03, 2002, 10:44 PM
Unregistered Foamsmith
Canada
Joined Nov 2001
421 Posts
I had great success with a speed-280 direct drive, 5.5x2.5 APC prop on 8x150-350 nicads with a 25 inch wingspan "Flying Styro" kit. I would think if you keep your 27 inch Guillow's Spitfire light it should work well Clipperkite.
Ken Manuel is offline Find More Posts by Ken Manuel
Old Mar 04, 2002, 01:19 PM
Schumacher USA
Tampa FL
Joined Jul 2000
3,038 Posts
I would agree w/ken on the 280 Clipper,

hate to put you off before you start, it's just the guillow's are such poor quality kits compared to almost anything else.

Whatever you do, keep everything as far foreward as possible, and the tailfeathers FRAMED, not solid like I did.

Good luck, and we want costruction photos, 1st flight video and pics by the weekend!

Shawn