SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2004, 01:20 PM
Mitchell, South Dakota, United States
Joined Jun 2004
196 Posts
1974 Sterling Models Wizard

My dad built a Sterling models wizard back in about 1974 and never got around to finishing it,he had the wings built and covered and the fuse built but not covered,im now going to finish the plane and just covered the fuse yesterday.Its wing span is 54" and its a bi-plane with 4 channels.Made for a ancient and heavy radio system my dad planned on using a 7 channel Kraft and even thats too old so ill be putting a Futaba system in it.Plans say its made for a .25-.45 engine and im putting a K&B .40 in it,its heavy but its got a lot of wing on it.ive got pictures of the plane and orginal plans which are in pretty bad shape.If anybody has seen this plane before or knows how it flys please let me know.Should have it RTF in a few weeks Enjoy!
rmeflyerkid is offline Find More Posts by rmeflyerkid
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2004, 12:51 PM
Double Naught Spy
USA, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Aug 2004
379 Posts
That will be a nice plane. I like the Sterling line of kits. I hear only good things about their designs and how they perform. Most negative comments I have heard are directed at the quality of the wood supplied with the kit as being to heavy and the diecutting being poor. I have only good things to say about the Sterling kits.

One thing you may want to check on your Wizard is the condition of the glue joints in high stress areas and the condition of the plywood parts. Some of the older glues can become brittle after 30 years. The plywood on the older kits has been known to delaminate after long periods as well, especially from the effects of engine vibration. This would be especially bad in the firewall area!
iamplanecrazy2 is offline Find More Posts by iamplanecrazy2
Old Nov 04, 2004, 08:46 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
538 Posts
I was wondering if you have the plans for the Wizard kit or could you make a copy?
Thanks,
Bob G
boberos is offline Find More Posts by boberos