HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2002, 11:05 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Sherline Mill

Hi all, I allready got a nice 9x20 bench lathe from enco, Now I need a mill. I would like a full sized one that uses R8 tapers, but I require something that is small and I can move.

SO I was looking at the Sherline deluxe vertical mill, Its a little pricey for what it is, and I have been looking at the 85lb oriental jobs you can get at various mail order houses. But people in the past on these boards seam to love Sherline stuff. Im going to be doing mostly aluminum, but I would like to mill steel, bronze, etc later on for other stuff. Is the sherline up to the challenge? and How do you like yours?
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 20, 2002, 08:22 AM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
I would take a serious look at the Taig Mill before purchasing the Sherline. The Taig has more metal to make it stiffer (less chatter). Mine is due in any day now, I'll give you an update after I get my hands on the device.

In the meantime this person seems to have the best prices, he's nice to talk to and he has a fair amount of information on the product. Taig put their "seal of approval" on this vendor. Shipping is free!!

http://www.cartertools.com/

Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Feb 20, 2002, 09:15 AM
staten island new york
Joined Sep 1999
829 Posts
There are several made in Asia mills available,which one do you mean? On my own list of "to buy" is the one from grizzlyindustial.com. It is either made in China or Taiwan but according to grizzly, is amde to their specs and under their quality control. It's also heavier than the Sherline.
mrneutron is offline Find More Posts by mrneutron
Old Feb 20, 2002, 10:19 AM
Bosque Farms, NM
Joined Jul 2001
83 Posts
Hello Bill:

My experience with a light mill has not been good. I have a compact 5 mill head mounted to a small (11 by 5 or so) XY table. The whole unit weighs about 60 pounds. The unit is just not rigid enough to use end mills, even as small as 1/4 inch, on steel. A 2 inch Fly Cutter is an impossible dream. About the only cutters that are useful on steel are 1/4 inch or smaller carbide burrs. The unit is actually only good as a rotary file. Aluminum is better but still not what I would call satisfactory. My small lathe (Compact 5) is much better for it's size. I have been thinking about getting the Enco 9 by 20 lathe also. I would then get a cross slide milling attachment and use the lathe for milling.

Just my 2 cents worth

Kevin
Kevin Klejwa is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Klejwa
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:22 AM
maryland, USA
Joined Jan 2001
27 Posts
FYI. CNC enthusiasts may be interested in a page I recently put up describing my CNC router for cutting balsa..

Just curious guys -- what do you use the mills for that involve RC stuff? Custom motors?

owen
owhite is offline Find More Posts by owhite
Old Feb 20, 2002, 04:25 PM
Lynn In
Joined Dec 2001
118 Posts
I have a Surline lathe I have had no problems with it I have had it for aprox 7 or 8 years if the mill is anything like the lathe it would be great
my 2 pennys worth
jkolp is offline Find More Posts by jkolp
Old Feb 20, 2002, 06:50 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
hmm, very mixed reviews, no different then asking a group of machinists

I'll just get that Rong Fu mill in Enco catalog. Dont klnow how im gonna move it, but it only costs a little more than a sherline, and I know it does everything.

Thanks guys for all the info.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Feb 20, 2002, 07:45 PM
Old Guy
Carver, MA USA
Joined Jun 2000
553 Posts
Almost double the price of the Taig. But if you want the rigidity and size and have the current available to run a 2HP motor then sounds like a deal. Bring your forklift!
Ron
Ron Cichowski is offline Find More Posts by Ron Cichowski
Old Feb 20, 2002, 07:49 PM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
that's rong, fu
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Feb 20, 2002, 08:13 PM
Manchester, TN USA
Joined Nov 2001
217 Posts
I like my harbor Freight 12-speed mill-drill. It's the $995 one, but I picked mine up for $300 from a small shop going out of business. It's about 700 lbs, though, so it's hardly "portable". Harbor has a smaller mill-drill for $499 that weighs 150 lb #44991. Maybe it's worth a look.
Craig Logan is offline Find More Posts by Craig Logan
Old Feb 20, 2002, 11:58 PM
ultramega super star
Tucson,AZ 365 days of Sunshine
Joined Sep 2000
347 Posts
Mini Mill

I Have the small 150-lb Mini mill from Harbor Freight, although it felt like 300 pounds when I was try to pick it up and out of my truck, but I haven't had a chance to use it. I've been to busy putting together my CNC foam cutter. I've almost finished cleaning all the cosmoline/grease off it and probably set it up this weekend.

Jim
stealthy is offline Find More Posts by stealthy
Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:36 AM
Bosque Farms, NM
Joined Jul 2001
83 Posts
Hello Owen:

Most of the hobby work I do is done on the lathe. I have found that my 70 pound lathe is more useful than my 60 pound mill, the lathe being much more rigid. The mill is used mainly as a coordinate drilling machine. I make motor mounts, alignment jigs, spinners, gearboxes, wheels from aluminum. The machine tools are also very useful for boring large holes in balsa and light ply. Although the power is very much overkill, the accuracy lets you do interesting things.

Hello Jim:

If it is not too much trouble, please post the results of that 150 pound mill. If the mill can use a 1/2 inch end mill and a 1 inch fly cutter on steel without chatter I might consider getting one.

Kevin
Kevin Klejwa is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Klejwa