SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 29, 2004, 04:20 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
Advice on 'junk' RC car

I found an '80's version gas powered RC race car that that looks clean and in good working order. The local hobby shop tried to convince me it would cost me too much to get going and I should buy a new one (I don't trust their opinion). I took apart the engine (turns over easily with good compression) and cleaned it and the carb with alcohol, then lubed with afterburn oil. I bought a used starter for $15 and am going to put the servos from my boat in.
I was told (again from the same hobby shop) I can't simply buy a new crystal matching the frequency of my transmitter so I can use the servos that are already in the car. is this true?
Also, on older motors, do I need to use the castor oil based fuel that I used when I was a kid? I know 2 strokes are all basically the same, but I wonder if they were designed back then to handle the nitro fuels (lower complression or something?).

I appreciate any input
Larrymac is offline Find More Posts by Larrymac
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2004, 07:39 PM
Will race for parts!
United States, WA, Chehalis
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
You are going to have a really hard time finding parts for any '80s era car, although there is always the Ebay option. It's likely your radio, if it is also from the '80s, will not be on a legal frequency for a surface RC, but it depends, do you know what frequency it runs on? What fuel you use depends on the engine, if it is a baffle motor, I would strongly suggest a castor only fuel, Sig is the probably the most available and comes in different nitro percentages, if it is a Schneurle ported engine, it is most likely of ABC construction and you would be fine with just about any fuel. What engine is in the car? Old cars can be a lot of fun especially when you show up at a track with one and still beat the pants of everyone else!
Kiiski
Kiiski is offline Find More Posts by Kiiski
Old Oct 30, 2004, 08:05 AM
binghamton NY USA
Joined Feb 2004
10 Posts
What Car/ Engine/ Radio are we talking about?

I like the Idea of people saying "WOW I havent seen one of those in x amount of years".

BULLETHEAD
BULLETHEAD is offline Find More Posts by BULLETHEAD
Old Nov 01, 2004, 10:50 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
I have no idea what car it is, It's a wide, low profile formular race car style with a funky race car shell with fins. The chassis is fiberglass contruction with cool mechanicals (suspension, belt drive, etc.) which is why I want to resuurect this thing. It has a 'Picco' motor, not sure if it's baffle, Schneurle (Kiiski, you lost me on the terminology). I'm not too worried about replacement parts, I think I can reconstruct most of the easily breakable fiberglass ones.
The servos are Futaba, probably 80's vintage like the car. I forget the frequency 73.something (I can get that if it helps answer questions, I'm at work now). Radio is a mid 90's version Futaba. I run these things in a parking lot with my 8 yaer old so I'm not concerned if it's regulation frequency or not.
If there is any other info I can get to determine what type motor it is please let me know where to look. I'm worried if I put the bluethunder I use in my Megatech that I'll screw it up.
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:42 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Picco has been around for quite a while, so th eengine could be either. YOu need to look at the top of the piston. If it is totally flat, it is Schneurle. If it has a baffle on top, a type of ridge or wall, then it is a baffle engine. The baffle engines were cast aluminun and steel, and if run with synthetic oils, will wear out very quickly. They need castor, which contrary to what most fuel manufacturers would like you to believe, is a superior lubricant. But it is very messy and more expensive to "produce" than synthetics and doesn't store as well when mixed with methanol.
Are you wanting to put a crystal that matches your current tranmitter into an existing reciever? Or are you replacing the entire reciever? If you are wanting to put a different crystal into the existing reciever, then the reciever that is in the car needs to be of the same base frequency, as in you can't put a 72.whatever crystal into a reciever that is intended for a 75.whatever crystal.
Hope this helps somewhat,
Kiiski
Old Nov 01, 2004, 02:43 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Pics would help also.
Kiiski
Old Nov 02, 2004, 09:38 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
Kiiski,

I attached some pics.
Engine looks cast aluminum, but it is flat on top. Hopefully you can tell by the pics.
My goal is to use my existing receiver and match the frequency to what is already in the car. This way, I won't have to move my boat receiver and servos back and forth. The base frequency of the receiver in the car is 75 Mhz as is the base frequecy of my transmitter. So if I match the crystals it will definitly work? The crystal in the transmitter is 75.550 mhz, the crystal in the receiver is 75.510 Mhz, type 73 'RX66' printed on the pull tab.

Thanks for the advice you sound like you really know what you are talking about.

Larry
Old Nov 02, 2004, 10:44 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
We're getting somewhere. What is the model number of the the transmitter and the model number of the reciever. Pull the exhaust off, roll the piston down and look at the top of the piston for the baffle, in case I didn't make myself clear on where to look. Looks kinda like a Thorpe.
Kiiski
Old Nov 04, 2004, 08:40 AM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
There is a groove around the piston about 1/16" from the top, but the top of the piston is definitely flat.
Transmitter: Futaba Magnum Sport FP-T2PB 'Digital Proportional Radio Control System'.
Receiver: Futaba FP-R102GR 'Digital Proportional Radio Control System'.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 12:43 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
I don't think they will work together, the receiver you have is wide band, and the transmitter, I believe, is narrow band. But I'm not sure, send Futaba's tech support an Email and ask to be sure.
Kiiski
Last edited by Kiiski; Nov 05, 2004 at 12:58 PM.
Old Nov 05, 2004, 03:23 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
All right, I'll sent them an e-mail. As for the motor, I can use the Blue Thunder with the nitro without screwing it up?

thanks,

Larry
Old Nov 05, 2004, 08:08 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
NO,
actually you can, i'm just not a fan of Blue Thunder, it won't hurt your engine.
Kiiski
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:15 PM
Joined Oct 2004
8 Posts
So what do you recommmend, castor oil based fuel? Why don't you like Blue thunder, not enogh lubricating prperties? I always use the afterburn oil when I'm done.
By the way, Futaba says the transmitter and receiver combo should be fine as long as the frequency is matched. They sell crystal sets for $15 or $16.
thanks for your help.

Larry
Old Nov 08, 2004, 11:25 PM
Will race for parts!
Joined Mar 2004
396 Posts
Good news on the crystals!
I am just a huge fan of O'donnell fuel, give it a try and you won't buy anything else. It is more expensive though, as in around $5 a gallon more.
Kiiski
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:31 AM
Joined Oct 2006
9 Posts
Iīm probleblee the best car finder in the word
Itīs a Associated RC500

Donīt you agree

look here

same but more
tomolupus is offline Find More Posts by tomolupus