HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 29, 2004, 02:28 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Picked up an FVK signal

yeah yeah I have another sailplane. I am most of the way through the build and will post pics later. But some quick thoughts on this plane. Fist off its bigger than what I am used to.. At 2.4 meters it isn't the biggest plane I own but it will be the biggest plane I have flown. It is very close to being my perfect plane.

2 piece wing
flaps
canopy to load the batteries...
rudder and T tail

I just hope this thing is fast. The wings have do have a spar. I don't see any carbon or anything ont the spar, but there is what appears to be a fiberglass spar in the wing. The wing is foam covered with fiberglass and obeechi wood. All of this is visible from the servo opening. As with all FVK planes the plane is elegantly simple. The wings seem to be press molded into shape. No plastic pieces to attach to the outer area of the wing. The wings have a steel rood pin and nylon bolts to hold the wing on. The Nylon bolts screw into threaded ply wood. Again, elegantly simple. Like the Bandit, the Signal has a complete accessory kit and I really like the epoxy control horns. The only thing that seems a bit clunky is the epoxy wing hold down that screws on top of the wing. It is ugly and a source of drag on the plane. I will see what I can do about that. The fuse is HUGE!!! No joke I am sure I could squeeze a 30 cell sub c pack in there...

As for the power system...

Plettenberg 220/20/a2 p4 5:1 gearbox
16x10 or 17x9 prop
Kontronik 70 3SL controler
SBEC
3s4p 8400 TP Lipos
or
10 cell hrsc 2600

Should be fun...
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2004, 03:48 AM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
This is the plane I've decided on so I'll be watching this thread with interest. It will be the biggest and fastest plane on my small list so I'm hoping it will be tame fly and land with flaps, then fast and agile when I gain experience. I'm thinking of an AXI 2826/10 with 12 cells, 14x9.5 prop (6590 rpm) then possibly going to 2 x 2S2P 4200 mAh 7.4V giving 14.8v, the stats say they can be discharged at 42 amps with bursts to 63 amps.

You are going for a geared system with a larger prop which is presumably turning slower but giving a better climb like a car going up hill in a lower gear? Should I be going along the geared motor route like you?
Bandicoot is offline Find More Posts by Bandicoot
Old Oct 29, 2004, 08:40 AM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandicoot
This is the plane I've decided on so I'll be watching this thread with interest. It will be the biggest and fastest plane on my small list so I'm hoping it will be tame fly and land with flaps, then fast and agile when I gain experience. I'm thinking of an AXI 2826/10 with 12 cells, 14x9.5 prop (6590 rpm) then possibly going to 2 x 2S2P 4200 mAh 7.4V giving 14.8v, the stats say they can be discharged at 42 amps with bursts to 63 amps.

You are going for a geared system with a larger prop which is presumably turning slower but giving a better climb like a car going up hill in a lower gear? Should I be going along the geared motor route like you?
I thought about the AXI bought I don't think it will be enough for the sort of performance I want. This plane is going to be heavy probably 80-90 oz AUW so I want as much thrust as I can get out of the components I have available.

Your set up will be fine, my set up will be faster...
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:07 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Soho, what's a Signal? Went onto the FVK site and couldn't locate it. Do you have a link? Also, any experience with the FVK Nobody (Jazz)? Want to transition to something after my Bandit but have a 2-piece wing and not spend too much money.
SteveR is offline Find More Posts by SteveR
Old Oct 29, 2004, 10:12 AM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Never mind...found it! And the Jazz and Nobody are very different ships.

What do you think is the hotter ship: Nobody or Signal?
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:09 AM
Singapore
Joined Jul 2003
643 Posts
Soho,

If u don't have the TP cells yet, take a look at the Multiplex 3200mah 20C ones. 3s2p will be good up to 128A continuous and weigh only 510g.

Btw, what's the spinner diameter?
Vic Peh is offline Find More Posts by Vic Peh
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:13 AM
Joined Oct 2004
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by soholingo
Your set up will be fine, my set up will be faster...
Thats what I needed to know, cheers Soho.
Bandicoot is offline Find More Posts by Bandicoot
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:00 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR
Never mind...found it! And the Jazz and Nobody are very different ships.

What do you think is the hotter ship: Nobody or Signal?
No question it will be the Nobody...
Old Oct 29, 2004, 12:01 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Peh
Soho,

If u don't have the TP cells yet, take a look at the Multiplex 3200mah 20C ones. 3s2p will be good up to 128A continuous and weigh only 510g.

Btw, what's the spinner diameter?
I already have all the lipos I need. The pack I have will go into my victor and into the signal depending on my mood.

The spinners diameter is 42mm.

jay
Last edited by soholingo; Oct 29, 2004 at 12:03 PM.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:00 PM
Florida
Joined Jun 2003
56 Posts
Jay,
Did you have to order the signal from Fvk? I'm thinking of getting one and it seems no one is importing fvk products........... I also see on the fvk website that they are offering a 2.8 meter called the rival (same fuselage as the signal).
Mark
Crashalot is offline Find More Posts by Crashalot
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:19 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I bought it from a fellow ezoner NIB. I don't know how to go about ordering it from FVK...

Jay
Old Oct 29, 2004, 02:00 PM
New York
Joined Feb 2002
3,104 Posts
Just go to the FVK web site and order. I recently ordered a Bandit as Aero-Model was out. Got it in a few weeks in perfect condition.
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:47 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2003
1,455 Posts
FVK is the most prompt and responsible 'overseas' vendor I ever deal with.
Ordered an Absolute and Nobody(Jazz in vladmir site), by EMS, charged for USD55-/ each ,they arrived within 3 days from German . And coming are a Gillette ,Aquila and a pair of new wings for the previous Absolute.I ask to ship in AIR PARCEL REGISTERED and being charged USD55- for all 3 items. They said it will take 10-14 days to arrive here in Hongkong.

David
C-MIC is offline Find More Posts by C-MIC
Old Oct 30, 2004, 05:26 PM
flight999
England
Joined Dec 2002
2,344 Posts
Hi Guys,

See what Graupner has to say on their web site
about lippos.

If you are sufficiently interested you will find the
site yourselves
flight999 is offline Find More Posts by flight999
Old Oct 30, 2004, 05:28 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight999
Hi Guys,

See what Graupner has to say on their web site
about lippos.

If you are sufficiently interested you will find the
site yourselves
why not post the link? Or better yet just tell us...

If you are talking about this

Graupner's Lipo warning

I see nothing new or revolutionary...
Last edited by soholingo; Oct 30, 2004 at 05:32 PM.