SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 13, 2004, 03:29 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
I appreciate your concern over the balance of the Ho 229.

I created a number of computer assisted models to determine the placement of the EDFs, battery, receiver and servos so that I will not need to add any weight to the aircraft. At this point of the build, with the EDF's and the servos installed, it is nose heavy, just as expected. I will mount the battery pack and radio aft of the CG for balance. No extra weight will be required...just a predicted by the computer models.

Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

Jeff
northropn9m is offline Find More Posts by northropn9m
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:07 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by northropn9m
I appreciate your concern over the balance of the Ho 229.

I created a number of computer assisted models to determine the placement of the EDFs, battery, receiver and servos so that I will not need to add any weight to the aircraft. At this point of the build, with the EDF's and the servos installed, it is nose heavy, just as expected. I will mount the battery pack and radio aft of the CG for balance. No extra weight will be required...just a predicted by the computer models.

Thanks again for your comments. Much appreciated.

Jeff
Do you really mean that in addition to the fans, you are going to mount the radio system and batteries AFT of the CG?

Seems impossible to me. I'd like to see your computer model. How far back from the front of the wing do you have your CG placed?

Or do you mean FORWARD of the CG for the batteries and the radio? Makes a lot more sense. Also with Li-pos being a different shape and density, will the model be able to balance with them as well?
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 13, 2004 at 04:12 PM.
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Thanks for your questions.

The aircraft is nose heavy. I'll place the battery and radio near the tail, aft of the CG to bring th nose up. The Ho 229 design is much different than the N9M.

I appreciate your concerns. Thanks again.

Jeff
Old Nov 13, 2004, 04:41 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,628 Posts
Where do you have your CG placed?

I never said that this was similar to an N9M. I know the planform is different.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Nov 13, 2004, 05:49 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Thomas B,

Thanks so much for your interest in this project.

The CG is at 17% MAC which comes out to 11.89" from the leading edge of the root rib.

Best regards,

Jeff
Old Nov 13, 2004, 09:31 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229

The last pieces of sheet are being applied. Doing lots of sanding. Building the templates for the EDFs.

Jeff
Old Nov 17, 2004, 03:20 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229

It's been a few days since I have posted. We have been busy around here with a few projects.

We had two days with winds less than 5 MPH and we took the opportunity to perform more stall tests and aft CG tests on a number of our wings.

We are getting ready to release the glow power version of the N9M plans. The latest plans include details and instructions for landing gear (Version 3.0). The glow and landing gear addendum was released to all prior purchasers of the elecric version last Wednesday. Version 3.0 of the Northrop N9M plans will be released on Friday.

The Horten Ho 229 is set-up and will be ready to fly as soon as the covering is completed. I'll post some pictures in a day or so of the control linkage set-up. A few are interested in how the lingage is hidden.

I am fabricating a set of fiberglass nacelles for the EDFs and ducts. They should be finished by Sunday.

Jeff
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:15 PM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Jeff,

I am very interested in seeing the fan installation and the nacelles post away!

Thanks,

Wayne
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
Old Nov 18, 2004, 09:30 AM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229 Build

Here's a close-up of the elevon linkage. One picture is with the access panel installed and the other is with the access panel removed. You are looking at the bottom of the wing.

Jeff
Old Nov 19, 2004, 11:06 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229 Build

The EDF nacelles are drying. While the fiberglass dries, I have been working on the Ho 229 plans, updating and modifying as the build progresses. We are shooting for a Thanksgiving weekend maiden flight.

Speaking of plans, we released the glow engine version of the Northrop N9M today. This is the 70" version powered by a .15 - .25 with landing gear. The first version we released four weeks ago was for a twin engine electric version that is hand launched.

Jeff
http://www.flyingwing.net
Old Nov 20, 2004, 10:20 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
985 Posts
[QUOTE=northropn9m]The EDF nacelles are drying. While the fiberglass dries, I have been working on the Ho 229 plans, updating and modifying as the build progresses. We are shooting for a Thanksgiving weekend maiden flight.
Jeff

Very cool Jeff! I am eagerly awaiting some updated pictures and the results of your maiden flight. What better way to ring in the holiday season than with the maiden voyage of a new design.

Paul
Tempest is online now Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Nov 21, 2004, 08:50 AM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229 Build

Thank you Tempest for the words of encouragement.

Attached are pictures taken earlier this week of the nacelles being roughed out.

Jeff
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:00 PM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Jeff,

Take a look at this site. These guys have built many Horten IX like aircraft. I thought you might find the section on how they integrated the nacelles and created the inlet in a V3 sort of way interesting.

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl...language_tools

EW
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
Old Nov 22, 2004, 10:58 PM
Aircraft Part Separator
United States, IA, Tabor
Joined Aug 2003
1,425 Posts
VERY cool, Jeff! Love the N9M also was the one in the video E power?
Greg D is offline Find More Posts by Greg D
Old Nov 22, 2004, 11:48 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229 Build

EngineerW - Thank you so much for the link. This does give me some ideas on how to provide a couple of builder options for the intakes in the H0 229 plans. I really appreciate you sending me the links.

Greg -- Thanks for the kind feedback. The Northrop N9M in the video is powered by two Speed 400 motors turning Zagi props. The battery pack is a 2400 mAh 9.6 v pack. I get 10 to 20 minutes of flight time depending on throttle management.

Ho 229 Build Update
It looks like we are good-to-go for a maiden flight this weekend. The weather is going to cooperate. Right now, it looks like Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon for the first flight.

Jeff
Last edited by northropn9m; Nov 23, 2004 at 06:43 AM.