HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:32 PM
Lakeside Ariz
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
Jeff Very interesting project. Do you have plans available for the single gas motor wing in post #15 ? Thanks Rich
Baldeagle is offline Find More Posts by Baldeagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 08:47 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
N9m

Rich,

I am releasing two addendums to the plans on Wednesday, November 10. One is for attaching a glow engine and the other is for landing gear.

You can contact me direct (see my profile on RC Groups or contact me through http://www.flyingwing.net) for more details.

Best regards,

Jeff
northropn9m is offline Find More Posts by northropn9m
Old Nov 07, 2004, 10:50 PM
Lakeside Ariz
Joined Jun 2004
7 Posts
Thanks Jeff I sent you an email. Rich
Baldeagle is offline Find More Posts by Baldeagle
Old Nov 08, 2004, 11:58 AM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229 Build Pictures

Hinging the port elevon is complete. I am laminating the port EDF mount. Preparing to install center section sheeting and rib caps. With both servos and EDFs installed, weight is 2 lbs 4 oz. Still on target for a 3.0 - 3.5 lb total build.

Jeff
Old Nov 08, 2004, 04:21 PM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
Jeff,

It's looking great! What is that in the last picture you posted? Is it just some weight on your lamination, or something else?

Thanks!

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Nov 08, 2004, 08:35 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229

Paul,

I am applying alittle pressure to the EDF mount as I laminate it with fiberglass.

Jeff
Old Nov 09, 2004, 12:26 AM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Ho 229

Adding rib caps and have both EDF mounts roughed out and laminated.

Jeff

http://www.flyingwing.net
Old Nov 11, 2004, 02:18 PM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Ho229

In looking at the fan installation you have it really looks like your fans are way too big for the wing as well as being too far to the rear. I hope I am wrong but I think for that fan size your airframe needs to be in at least 1/8 scale or bigger for those fans.

Let me know what you think,

EngineerW
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
Old Nov 11, 2004, 02:30 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
EngineerW,

I appreciate your concern over the size and placement of the fans.

The Ho 229 I am building is about 1/11 scale at 72" wingspan. A 1/8th scale Ho 229 would be around 82"

The Junkers 004 turbojet had a diameter of 32". At 1/11 scale the diameter should be around 2.9 inches. At 1/8 scale the engine diameter should be around 4". The EDF's in the Ho 229 I am building have a 3" diameter.

The tips of the exhaust cones on the EDF's are right where they would be on the full scale H0 229.

Thanks so much for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Jeff
Last edited by northropn9m; Nov 11, 2004 at 02:56 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2004, 04:38 PM
Yorba Linda Ca
Joined Apr 2004
237 Posts
Thanks for that explanation Jeff, You clearly have done your homework! I was wondering. Your web site said that you are doing the V3 is that true? I really liked the V2 better because of the flush inlets.

Anyway, I can't wait to see it fly!

EW
EngineerW is offline Find More Posts by EngineerW
Old Nov 11, 2004, 05:59 PM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the feedback as I really do appreciate it. It is always good to hear constructive criticism as it allows me to see the project through someone else's eyes.

I am in the final few days of sheeting and sanding. Sometime this weekend, probably late Sunday evening, I will begin covering the aircraft. We might (and I do stress MIGHT) be ready for a maiden glide in 9 days.

Here's the latest and greatest pictures....

Jeff

P.S. The round object in the pictures is the intake for the EDF. It's rough and right off of the form.

I get all kinds of email. Yesterday I received a picture of a man pointing at a drawing of a UFO he spotted in 1947. The author of the email said, "This sure looks like a Horten to me. Maybe the US was flying these in secret."
Old Nov 11, 2004, 07:02 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
It's coming along nicely Jeff! Thanks for posting the thread, I'm really enjoying the build.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Nov 12, 2004, 12:20 AM
Gaithersburg MD, United States
Joined Nov 2000
988 Posts
I'll second that. Nice job!

Paul
Tempest is offline Find More Posts by Tempest
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:05 AM
Joined Aug 2004
102 Posts
EngineerW asked about the V3's round inlets. I thought about creating a V2 with the flush inlets, then I found these beautiful pictures of the V3 on http://www.luft46.com. Here's just one of the pictures:

Drawing credits to Mario Merino.

I was a bit concerned about making sure that there is a 3" diameter opening going from the intake on the leading edge to the EDF. I could not create a flush opening and maintain the 3" duct. Luckily, the V3 has a round intake and it allows me to maintain the 3" opening.

Jeff
Old Nov 13, 2004, 03:17 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,640 Posts
I predict your Ho-229 will be far easier to balance if you moved the fan units forward.

I see your point in wanting the motor fairings to protrude from the rear. But, the better solution would be to have some fake cones for ground display only.

With the increased use of lighter Li-po batteries, I feel that models should be planned and arranged to minimize the need to add nose ballast.

Nice job, overall. I also liked your N9M. I have a small N9M project of my own in the works.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Nov 13, 2004 at 04:08 PM.