HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:39 AM
ProBro #1889
United States, OH, Amelia
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Mountain Models Dandy Sport build problems....

I started building my MM Dandy Sport a few days ago, and have hit a major snag.

When i ws building the wing, i mistakenly put the thicker balsa ribs in the wrong spots.... I noticed this only after i glued them in... Now im also noticing a signifigant "twist" warp in them, not sure if this is from improper build or if the balsa was slightly warped....

Will CA Debonder allow me to dissassemble the wing and fix the problem? Or will it ruin it further and force me to buy another wing which puts a dent in my budget to get this thing airborne....

Also after assembling the fuselage and ailerons without a problem i tried to assemble the landing gear and failed miserably at bending the wire.... it's beyond use now..... Is this plane a good belly lander? all i have for a runway is grass anyway.... If it belly lands well does it break props often from belly landing like my E-starter does?

thanks for your help.

And i must add, Despite my mistake with the wing (my first balsa build), i want to make CLEAR that this kit appears to me to be of superb quality, and im in no way trying to bash the product because of my building errors.
DsWright is offline Find More Posts by DsWright
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:12 AM
Cincinnati, OH
Joined Mar 2003
26 Posts
Can't help you with the building question (but someone here will).

But on the belly landing question, I took the landing gear off my Dandy Sport a couple months ago, and it lands great in the grass. No broken props (yet).

Good Luck,
JR in Cinci
JR in Cinci is offline Find More Posts by JR in Cinci
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:18 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,370 Posts
DsWright,

Drop Matthew an email (matthew @ mountainmodels.com) and he an fix you up with whatever you need to fix the plane. We want to see you successful.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:16 PM
Charlotte Douglas, NC
Joined Sep 2003
3,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DsWright

When i ws building the wing, i mistakenly put the thicker balsa ribs in the wrong spots.... I noticed this only after i glued them in... Now im also noticing a signifigant "twist" warp in them, not sure if this is from improper build or if the balsa was slightly warped....

Will CA Debonder allow me to dissassemble the wing and fix the problem? Or will it ruin it further and force me to buy another wing which puts a dent in my budget to get this thing airborne....

Also after assembling the fuselage and ailerons without a problem i tried to assemble the landing gear and failed miserably at bending the wire.... it's beyond use now..... Is this plane a good belly lander? all i have for a runway is grass anyway.... If it belly lands well does it break props often from belly landing like my E-starter does?

thanks for your help.

And i must add, Despite my mistake with the wing (my first balsa build), i want to make CLEAR that this kit appears to me to be of superb quality, and im in no way trying to bash the product because of my building errors.

I did the exact same thing with my wings. Didnt notice the thickness difference till it was to late. I was unable to get the debonder to work on mine , although after the entire build I did use almost an entire ounce of ca on that plane, so maybe it wasnt surprising I couldnt get the debonder to work.

DD
DoomsDay is offline Find More Posts by DoomsDay
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:44 PM
We'll all float on OK
Casselberry, Florida
Joined Dec 2002
1,506 Posts
Mountain Models is amazing. Even if you mess up, they will replace the stuff for you if you ax them. They really do care about making sure you are successful.

Doug, did you get the photo's from SEFF that I mailed to you? Are you coming back in 2005? I'll work up some new heckles!

Oh yeah, you can buy the right size wire at the local hardware really cheap, and have lots of practice bending landing gear.
Tom Korn is offline Find More Posts by Tom Korn
Last edited by Tom Korn; Oct 28, 2004 at 01:45 PM. Reason: stupid fingers can't spell!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:56 PM
ProBro #1889
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
I emailed them earlier, thier customer service is fantastic..... way above and beyond the call of duty.

I did the same thing with alot of CA on mine.... So i doubt i will get them to debond... But a new wing is on the way.

Needless to say my next plane after this will also be a MM plane.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:11 PM
tucson az
Joined Sep 2003
71 Posts
Quote:

<snip>

I tried to assemble the landing gear and failed miserably at bending the wire.... it's beyond use now.....
See the attached pic of my Dandy Sport using a "double strut" style landing gear. Rubber bands and dowels hold the gear against the bottom of the fuselage.

This takes much of the stress off the fuselage in hard landings and the smaller gauge wire is easier to bend.

Just an idea from a "completely unappreciated genius model builder" (:})
Hangar-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hangar-Flyer
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:31 PM
Round Rock, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hangar-Flyer
See the attached pic of my Dandy Sport using a "double strut" style landing gear. Rubber bands and dowels hold the gear against the bottom of the fuselage.

This takes much of the stress off the fuselage in hard landings and the smaller gauge wire is easier to bend.

Just an idea from a "completely unappreciated genius model builder" (:})

Real man of genius!
Here's to you, Mr. Completely Unappreciated Genius Model Builder!

That mod looks great for the Dandy! It spreads the load out on the fuse and will pop rubber bands before it pops the fuse formers!

Well done!

BobbyG
bobbygee is offline Find More Posts by bobbygee
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:28 PM
ProBro #1889
Joined Aug 2004
603 Posts
Agreed, ingenious mod.

May try that myself
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:07 PM
tucson az
Joined Sep 2003
71 Posts
Quote:
Agreed, ingenious mod.

May try that myself
Well...since you pilots seem interested, here are a couple of extra picture that show more detail.

The channels for the wire are optional..just depends on how hard landings are on what kind of surface..grass, gravel, etc.

Both wires go thru the wheel hub...one just sits there...the other has a holder on it.

For you experimenters...the whole shebang comes off easily...just remove the rubber bands and it's easy to try some other sort of configuration.
Hangar-Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Hangar-Flyer
Old Nov 13, 2004, 08:31 AM
Wind is my sworn enemy
Gothenburg Saeve, Sweden
Joined Sep 2004
86 Posts
I'm gonna build this landing gear on my Dandy tonight. I'm an engineer and my knowledge says that it will work great.
WebWolf is offline Find More Posts by WebWolf
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:51 PM
USA, IL, Barrington
Joined Feb 2001
1,938 Posts
Elegant yet simple! Nice engineering!!

Pete
peterv is offline Find More Posts by peterv
Old Nov 13, 2004, 03:02 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Quote:
..... Is this plane a good belly lander? all i have for a runway is grass anyway.... If it belly lands well does it break props often from belly landing like my E-starter does?

thanks for your help.
The DS is a great belly lander! The high wing design with the aileron servo on top is especially suited for belly landings. After over 100 belly landings with my first DS it finally came to its demise after I flew it into a light pole...sigh...

I promptly ordered a second one that's currently queued behind a Mini Speedwing and a G-Ride, hope to have it finished by the new year.

I've never broken a prop (GWS 11x8) landing the DS on the grass; I primarily fly in parks and soccer fields and grass is the predominate surface.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider
Old Nov 13, 2004, 03:15 PM
It's the last plane honey
Granite Bay, CA USA
Joined Jul 2003
2,133 Posts
Here's some pics of my DS in-flight; just my bias, but I prefer the lines without gear... The orange prop has been colored black with a Sharpie.

Andy
SlowRider is offline Find More Posts by SlowRider