Old Oct 31, 2004, 10:44 PM
Beijing
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_ron
Thomas,

Did you glue your wing halves together?

I'm planning on keeping mine separable for transport and I'm not sure if I need to do anything special to keep them from separating in flight....
Hi RC_ron,

I did not glue them together, just use the clear tape, I suggest you add 2 small pieces ply on the top of the TE, that can protect the TE when you use rubber band to fix the wing.

I recommand you using a heavy servo, 20g or 30g is OK, because the tail boome is some heavy, I have to add some weight(about 20g) in the nose when I use two 18g servos, I use a 350mHA battery, it weights aout 40g.
Thomas Wang is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Wang
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2004, 07:03 PM
Model Bender
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
I received my Ultra Thermo today.. quite impressive for the price. The pod/boom alone would lend itself to some more advanced designs.

The build quality is good, although the built up tail feathers didn't have the LE rounded off! 5mm square balsa on the LE isn't exactly aerodynamic

Wang is right about needing a little lead to get the CG correct.. I made up a 730mAh battery pack from 4 AAA NiMH cells, and still needed a small amount of lead in the nose.

Ron, I think I'll follow your idea and get some new pushrods as well, the included ones are ok but parkflier rods are available which are just as stiff and lots lighter.

All in all, I love this little plane, a lightweight glass/foam aileron wing is on the boards as well as a vtail conversion to get rid of the nose weight. Should turn it into a great performer!
OzDragonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by OzDragonFlyer
Old Nov 03, 2004, 08:06 PM
Beijing
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
Pay attentation to the connection of the pod and the boom, usually loosen after 10 flight, it is very dangerous!
Old Nov 04, 2004, 12:36 AM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
yes Thomas, I tried to twist it off after reading your message..but it won't move!

Must be glued very well
Old Nov 04, 2004, 03:57 AM
Beijing
Joined Jul 2004
208 Posts
That's not a good news!

If it loosen now, you can fix it and emilinate the hidden peril, if it does not loosen now, maybe you have to check it every landing, , I know 3 models here include mine have the same problem.

Good luck!

Thomas
Old Nov 11, 2004, 11:37 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
how far forward should i put the tow hook?
rc_ron is offline Find More Posts by rc_ron
Old Nov 18, 2004, 12:40 AM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
I've just finished recovering the tailfeathers in lightweight profilm, mainly because the leading edges were square and didn't look good at all. After sanding and recovering, it saved 2 grams off the tail which also meant less lead was needed in the nose!

Also made the rudder/elevator control rods exit underneath the tailplane, which looks much better.. Will post pics if you like.

Have you flown yours yet ron?
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:09 PM
Model Bender
Joined Jun 2004
2,871 Posts
I flew this little model on the weekend.. It did pretty well on the slope

With hardly any lift available it managed to be one of the few aircraft to stay up. It's so simple to fly that i flew it over an hour continuously.

It would benefit from some extra dihedral as the turns were very sluggish at low speed. Ok at other speeds though. Once initiated, the turns were very tight, great for staying in a pocket of lift or a thermal.

Quite a few guys on the slope asked about it, and remarked what a nice looking plane it was. I've already ordered a few more, one being a spare for myself The only problem is, they all look identical, no other colours are available.

Mods I made were slightly bigger rudder, rounding the leading edges of the tail feathers and recovering them in profilm light. Also used parkflyer control horns, half the size of the ones supplied and much lighter.

With 2 HS55s, a jr micro rx and 4 aaa nimh batteries the weight was 320g. Smaller battery pack would lower this considerably.
Last edited by OzDragonFlyer; Nov 25, 2004 at 06:20 PM.
Old Dec 09, 2004, 10:37 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
ive gotten lazy and havent finished putting the servos in it yet....
was too busy crashing my GWS electrics
im glad to hear it flys reasonably well, maybe ill give it a try this weekend.
post some pics though, id like to see the mods.
Old Dec 09, 2004, 11:14 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,535 Posts
Hi

[QUOTE=rc_ron]I dont know much about gliders so I'm not sure how big a battery I need to run 2 servos. Anyone know how many mah's most people use?

Yer i used to do a lot of gliding and i found a favourite battery pack was 4 long aa 900ma nicads it was good in the regard it could fit right up front for ballance and i never flattened them on a days flying.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Dec 09, 2004, 11:21 PM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,535 Posts
another

thought to add ,this is so similar to one of my designs it struck me,to suggest has anyone tried instead of giving more dihedral to the tips ,try 2 to 3 ' in the centre of the wing making it polyhedral ,it works beaut on 2 chanel floaters.
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Last edited by olmod; Dec 09, 2004 at 11:22 PM. Reason: er spelling
Old Dec 31, 2004, 10:14 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
where should the CG be on this thing?
Old Apr 15, 2005, 07:43 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
anyone? im still wondering about the CG on this plane....
Old Apr 16, 2005, 01:32 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
i took it out last night and through it around a lighted park until i thought the CG was probably right. i needed to add about 7 half dollar sized washers to the nose to get it to balance and fly without 'porposing'.

i then put a tow hook such that when the plane is hung upside down from the hook, the tail drops about 30 degrees.

took it to the club this morning and had some club members help me wench it into the air. it flew very well and even caught a thermal or two.

will have to try again tomorrow.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 03:53 PM
Opus
Quincy,Florida
Joined Dec 2002
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzDragonFlyer
I received my Ultra Thermo today.. quite impressive for the price. The pod/boom alone would lend itself to some more advanced designs.

The build quality is good, although the built up tail feathers didn't have the LE rounded off! 5mm square balsa on the LE isn't exactly aerodynamic

All in all, I love this little plane, a lightweight glass/foam aileron wing is on the boards as well as a vtail conversion to get rid of the nose weight. Should turn it into a great performer!
Guys dont take this wrong but is it really worth nearly 100 bucks for an airplane that you feel it necessary to make better wings tail etc. For 100 bucks I can build anout 4 glass and carbon fuselages and still have molds left over for more.
mhmitchell is offline Find More Posts by mhmitchell