HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2004, 08:27 PM
e-flight in 24½th Century
Cypress, TX
Joined Jul 2004
525 Posts
Painting the GWS C-47--type of paint??

Any suggestions on type of paint for these birds? Did a bunch of airbrushing back in the balsa and dope days and figure I can do a good job of the masking and spraying.

Just wondered about the kind of paint. Wife has a bunch of acrylics--they're water based. LHS guy suggested using rubbing alcohol as thinner as straight acrylics will bead-up on this type of foam.

Appreciate any help that is out there.

WP
Waldo Pepper is offline Find More Posts by Waldo Pepper
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:04 AM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,278 Posts
I've used Tamiya water based paint with good results. I have also used artist's acrylic paint from tubes. Needed a fair bit of thinning to go through the airbrush but I got there (much cheaper for bigger areas than Tamiya). I have read that Windex is a good thinner for acrylics. I tried it recently and it worked OK. The important thing is to stay away from things that attack foam.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown
Old Oct 28, 2004, 03:55 AM
Colonial Heights, Virginia, USA
Joined Mar 2001
1,710 Posts
It say's "water based" not Windex based paint.......Why Windex of all things (blue color and ammonia ? chemical content ??......Maybe it works but what's wrong with thinning with just normal water ???? ...kw
KillerWatt is offline Find More Posts by KillerWatt
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:20 PM
It must have a machinegun
Perth, Western Australia
Joined Sep 2004
1,278 Posts
I think the reason is that it reduces the viscosity better than water, so you don't have to thin it so much to go through an airbrush and you get better colour. In Australia Windex is sold without the blue colour these days. I didn't discover it. I read about it a few times on Ezone.
Scaledown is offline Find More Posts by Scaledown