HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:39 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Dumas Typhoon, Kit Review

A few years ago, our local hobby shop owner called and said he had something I had to see. When I got there he showed me the new product release for the Dumas 42 1/2" Typhoon. Right then, I knew that I needed to build one, but at the time didn't think I had the boat building skills to handle it.
Then last month, the oppertunity to review the kit for RC Boat Modeler came up and my long time dream came to be, and after having built a few Dumas Chris-Crafts, I knew the time was right.
When the kit arrived, I spent a good hour looking over the plans and instructions and discovered that it builds basically like all the other mahogany boats, but due to the design of the boat, would offer building challenges that the others didn't present. But not to worry, the kit looks good, and the plans, instructions and photo sheets are nicely done and will walk you through the high points.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:57 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
The Kit Contents

The kit comes in a large, heavy box and contains everything needed to build the boat. All the cast metal deck fittings, flags and bergee, and a complete running hardware package are included, requiring only adhesives and finishing materials, a motor, ESC and 2 ch. radio to complete.
The kit includes a full size layout drawing with top and side views, a full size hull framing plan, a detail drawing sheet containing reduced drawings of the hull framing details, equipment installation details and cockpit detail drawings. In addition, there's a double sided sheet containing 85 detail photos and an 80 page construction manual with step by step assembly instructions and specific detail drawings.
This is a complex project to be sure, and without a doubt a "builders kit", but with the information provided, looks like it will go together just fine, but is obviousely not for the beginner.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:06 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Framing the Hull

Before construction begins, take the time to study the plans, instructions and assembly photos to become familiar with the assembly sequence before any gluing is done. Also, use the parts ID page in the manual to locate and mark all the dye cut parts, it'll make them a lot easier to find as construction progresses.
Construction begins by preparing the frames, sheers and chines. Detail drawings are provided showing the locations for all the cockpit supports and holes for the rudder puhrod tube.
Assemble the hull halves over the full size hull framing drawing. The keel assembly is pinned to the plans and the frames glued in place using a triangle to insure the frames are standing perpendicular to the keel. With the frames in place, the chines and sheers are glued in place. When the glue has dried completely, the frames are removed from the plans.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Oct 27, 2004 at 10:19 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:11 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Gluing the Hull Sides Together

Once the hull sides are lifted from the building board, sand any bumps or glue goobers that show up on the mating surfaces to insure a good tight fit. The halves were then glued together using 30 minute epoxy and clamped using every clamp I could find (and a few I didn't even know I had) and left to cure overnight.
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:23 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Unclamping the Hull Assembly

Once the glue has dried completely, remove all the clamps and sand away ant glue goobers that have oozed out from between the keel halves.
Stay tuned, the fun has only just begun!
PAT
Old Oct 27, 2004, 10:59 AM
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Pat,
Another project made to look easy ! can't wait for some more posts
Great job
JB608 is offline Find More Posts by JB608
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:31 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
JB, Thanks, I'm really pumped about this project. I'll keep the photos coming as things progress.
PAT
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:32 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,047 Posts
Oh boy!!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Oct 28, 2004, 05:09 AM
all my boats are broken
manila
Joined Aug 2004
163 Posts
you really made it look sooooo easy.
ernest2 is offline Find More Posts by ernest2
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:01 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
Earnest, Thanks, so far the frame up has been pretty simple, But once the planking strarts things will get kind of interesting. In looking forward in the construction sequence, I see that just about every hardwood plank on the hull needs to be tapered to fit. That's when things are gonna' get fun!
PAT
Old Oct 28, 2004, 10:01 PM
Near Muncie, IN.
Joined Aug 2004
152 Posts
Im lookin forward to this one pat...Ive developed a real weakness for the mahogany boats.
catfishchaser is offline Find More Posts by catfishchaser
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:40 AM
T-ride!, Co @ 9545' ASL
Joined Jan 2003
739 Posts
Heyy Pat, Have fun!! I've got one as well But mine is finished to the the first layer of balsa planking. What are you going to use for power? I'm thinking about a Astro 25 ferrite myself.
RCheroske is offline Find More Posts by RCheroske
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:46 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
RC, I'm thinking about the 12V high output system from Mack's Products, on 10 cells. That's one of the systems Dumas recomends, and I have one, so at this point, it's my first choice. I originally planned planned to use a forward only aircraft type ESC, but I also have a Pro-Boat 12V F/R ESC too, so that's still up in the air at this point. I'm thinking, with everything involved in getting this boat built, that I still have a little time to think it over.
Mike, I know what you mean about the mahogany boats. You'd be hard pressed to convince me there's anything prettier out there then all that gleaming chrome and sparkling hardwood.
BTW, I have the first two cockpits roughed in, I'll post up some pics a little later.
PAT
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:17 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
The Latest Details

Got some good progress this afternoon, and while everything is still too sticky to touch, I'll drop a few photos.
With the basic hull frame all together, the next step is to build up all three cockpits and their related components. The seats and cockpit walls are vac-formed plastic, and very nicely done at that. The seats actually have a "lived on" look, rather than just a flat smooth surface. Also molded in is the texture of the fabric the seats were covered with. Once the components are built up, everything is test fit into the hull to insure a good fit. Once again, a home run! NOTHING required even the least bit of trimming.
Old Oct 29, 2004, 05:22 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,475 Posts
More Details

Unlike the two foreward cockpits, the rumble seat is pretty sparce. The only thing back there is the seat and glove box. There are no upholstered walls in the aft cockpit.