HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:08 PM
Joined Feb 2002
1 Posts
Power plant for big lazy bee with extended wing

Well I finally got time on my hands to build Clancy Avition big lazy bee with extended wings I bought over 5 years ago. All my other
planes are glow plug but I would love giving electric a try and was wondering what would be the best recommendation for power package. I realize that it will be a bit more expensive initialy
since I'll have to buy everything but I want to give it a very serious try and would like to end up with equipment that would be good enough
to be used with other planes down the road.

As much detail as possible would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I searched the forums and already made some changes based on rccrashed engine mount as per his message in

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=15394

Thanks for any input.
Gumby007 is offline Find More Posts by Gumby007
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2002, 07:59 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Andy Clancy used to fly an electric Big Lazy some years back - recall it had an AstroFlight 40 on a MAT belt drive and 21 cells + another seven cell pack for the night flying lights if needed. It's certainly for up around 18 - 20-odd cells, there's a lot of everything there.

Either contact Andy Clancy or maybe Tom Hunt at MAT could help out - I vaguely recall someone flying a Big Bee with one of his DeWalt motor / beltdrive combos. That's a hefty motor, but decently priced and capable of swinging the kind of prop this much slow flier needs
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 22, 2002, 08:24 PM
Green Bay, WI
Joined Dec 2000
433 Posts
Big Bee

I bought a used glow big bee last year at local swap (very overweight with 50 in. wing) and converted it with a geared astro 25. It is currently flown on 14 cells with a 12x8 apc electric prop. It flys very well, but would be better at a more reasonable weight. I haven't gotten around to experimenting with other cell counts as of yet.
rccrashed is offline Find More Posts by rccrashed
Old May 02, 2002, 01:43 PM
got any foam to bash?
Lake Grove,LI, NY
Joined Aug 2000
5,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dereck
Either contact Andy Clancy or maybe Tom Hunt at MAT could help out - I vaguely recall someone flying a Big Bee with one of his DeWalt motor / beltdrive combos. That's a hefty motor, but decently priced and capable of swinging the kind of prop this much slow flier needs
Boy I just can't keep up sometimes... sorry this is late.

Yes, I have quite a few "big" lazy Bees flying out there on my H-1000/Dewalt drive system, some on 16 cells, some on 21, small wing and big wing. The one We did is shown on my website www.modelairtech.com in the examples page.

if you're still looking for a drive for it, give me a call. I also sell the Jeti 450 ESC at $64.95. (7-30 cells 40 amps)

Thanks
Tom
Tom Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Tom Hunt