SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:28 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
93 Posts
Question
Converting my SS to Li-poly battery.

I'm converting my SS to Li-Poly batteries and need advice on soldering. Unfortunately the batteries don't come with connectors and will need to solder my own connectors. No experience soldering!!! Any good websites for information? Thanks!!
Geore J is offline Find More Posts by Geore J
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2004, 03:57 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
Nice floats, man!

Concerning soldering LiPoly's for connectors, you really only need one tool................a good fire extinguisher!

Seriously, should not be a problem. If you have never soldered before, check the forums for building techniques. You could also stop by a Radio Shack store and ask how it's done. You could purchase your solder pencil and solder while you are there.

Biggest concern: Do one connector at a time, do not cut across both wires of the lead. Keep one wire fully insulated while you work on the other. Separate the two wires and hold one wire, out of the way, by taping it or using a rubber band to hold it to the pack while you work on the other wire.

2nd concern: be sure you have positive and negative connections to the connector correct.

Good Luck...

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:29 PM
Gainesville, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2001
1,456 Posts
Soldering - plug the iron in, let it warm up for 5-10 minutes. A small 30w iron is fine for these kinds of jobs. Strip the insulation off of both wires you are connecting. Twist the strands together and lightly coat them with solder. This is called tinning. Next, place the leads alongside each other and place the solder's tip against the joint. Heat until it melts between and firmly joins the wires. You will need to hold them still for about 5 seconds while it cools. A good joint will be solid and shiny.
stjobs is offline Find More Posts by stjobs
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:02 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
93 Posts
New ESC for my Li-Poly

Thanks for the information. I am also wondering if I need to buy all new ESCs? I know Li Poly are damaged when discharged too low so is there a LI Poly saver? that can be placed between my batteries and ESC to prevent deep discharge. As I said I have plenty of ESCs and hate to purchase all new Escs. Thanks.P
Geore J is offline Find More Posts by Geore J
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:16 PM
Seattle
Joined Oct 2003
65 Posts
Only strip and solder one wire at a time and be sure to put the shrink tubing on the first wire before stripping and soldering the second wire. That way you will reduce the chance of a short.
loftt is offline Find More Posts by loftt
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:19 PM
USA, FL, Eustis
Joined Jun 2004
340 Posts
Might as well fly what you have now and bring the plane down frequently enough to check the voltage on the pack. Once you have experienced this type of power then go and get yourself a brushless and new ESC! then that baby will rip the floats off the water!
Happy floating!
happypappy is offline Find More Posts by happypappy
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:40 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,553 Posts
There are LiPo's that come with connectors alread in place. I use Kokam 1500 HC packs that have Deans Ultra's already attached to the pack lead. Check around with the LiPo suppliers. You may be able to get a pack with your type of connector pre-installed. JST connectors are commonly supplied on lower capacity LiPo's, such as 700, 800, even 1320 packs. I use a Thunder Power 2 cell 1320 mAh pack on my Tiger Moth. The JST connector is part of the pack.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac