Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 08, 2001, 12:45 AM
Triad of Fun
Little Rock, AR Triad: Windy, ECO 8 and E3D
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Which brushless setup for the Twister

I've got a Twister coming and was thinking of installing a Kontronics 400-22 or 400-28 motor in it. I think Sal has the Drive 150 or Fan Drive for $189 which seems to be good price.

I not so much interested in the extra speed but more interested in efficiency and longer flights, something in the 10+ minute time frame.

Any suggestions as to which motor is the best fit for the Twister or is there another combo that I ought to look at?

Also, any input as to which batteries to use? I was thinking of the Sanyo 1100AE's or 1600 NiMH?

Thanks,
Bill
WilliamSettle is offline Find More Posts by WilliamSettle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2001, 06:58 AM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
The 1600NiMH will work well, but let me say that the Twister is a great performer when lightly loaded. I usually fly mine on 8x1600mAh RS NiMH packs, but on 8x600AE it's much more agile (but I only get 2 minutes a full throttle with the 020 7T and 4.7x4.7).

Keep it light, but use the NiMH packs for long (8-10 minutes) of slightly toned-down fun..
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Jul 08, 2001, 07:42 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
Since duration is your primary goal then you should look at something lighter than a FUN400 motor.

If I were to do the same I'd consider the Astro010 motor and small NiHM cells (700mAh AAA) which will give you s400 performance and pretty good duration.

The next step up would be the 7T Astro020 on 7-8cells.

Like Andy said the Twister should be kept light and the Kontronik 400 motor is a bit big for this application and do not fit your intention.

If you were after a really fast setup in a slightly larger airframe you should then condsider the Kontronik FUN400-28, CAM5x5 on 8*800AR or CP1300's. My 400-28 will do 200W with 8x800AR's and I have some zapped CP1300's to try too which should be even hotter...
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:17 AM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Andy, I guess I should just order enough cells to make several different packs. My fleet is growing FAST and I'm going to need a variety of cells for different planes and flying styles. I think I'll order some KR-600AE's, KR-1100AAU (Same size and weight as 800's) and some 1600 NiMH, all Sanyos. I've got some Sanyo 720mAh's so this should give me several options to play with.

Haldor, I've got a 010 and controller for my Piccolo so I might try it once it gets here.

I probably should have mentioned that Andy told me about his 020 setup in a couple of e-mails and I'm seriously considering it, so thanks for giving me the heads up on the Kontronics. I went back and compared the it's weight to the 020 and it's twice as heavy if not more. :<

I do like the speed though and am thinking that I should be be able to get the same performance if not better than the S400 with a brushless motor and lighter batteries due to it's better efficiency.
Old Jul 08, 2001, 11:48 AM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Two days ago I flew my Twister for 15 minutes and 12 seconds with a 7.2 Speed 400 motor and a 7 cell pack of 600AE's. It was flying just a little over "fall out of the sky" speed, but I was amazed at how long it could stay up on that flight pack. I get 5 full minutes when flying at 3/4 to full throttle. Maybe the longer duration is because I am using the 7.2v motor, while most guys use the 6V. I have considered a motor upgrade, but I really dodn't need more speed or longer duration. How can I be happy with $5 motor??

Joe
smokinjoe is offline Find More Posts by smokinjoe
Old Jul 08, 2001, 01:22 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts

By the way, you don't happen to know Joe Putnam from Cedar Rapids do you. He works for a local wireless radio company there.

Joe Putnam and I both work for Intermec!

My recommendation is to just try the 7.2 400, then decide what you want. Since the motor mounts are universal, I imagine it would be an easy swap.

Joe
Old Jul 08, 2001, 02:02 PM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
It's a small world isn't it. Tell Joe and Linda hi for me. I haven't talked with him since we meet in Colorado to ride bikes years ago.
Old Jul 08, 2001, 03:03 PM
Cedar Rapids, IA, USA
Joined Jul 2001
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WilliamSettle:
It's a small world isn't it. Tell Joe and Linda hi for me. I haven't talked with him since we meet in Colorado to ride bikes years ago.

Will do. The company Joe P. worked for back then was Norand. Intermec bought Norand in Jan. of 97. Where is home for you?
Old Jul 08, 2001, 04:43 PM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Little Rock. I worked for Dillard's as a system's engineer with Joe and Linda on several occasions way back. We built a wireless inventory system for all of our stores. Ah, the good ole days when money was no object!

We used Symbol for our DC's and Norand/Intermec for the stores. I heard they are using Intermec equipment everywhere now.

You probably also know Scott Medford. I understand he is back with Intermec. I also heard that Hammer sold out and retired. Lots of moving going on in the tech market.
Old Jul 08, 2001, 04:48 PM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Joe, do you know the difference between 800AR's and 800AE's? I'm ordering some batteries tomorrow and can't find any AR's anywhere.

I was going to order some 600AE's, 1100AE's and 1600 NiMH tomorrow so I will have a variety to try with the Twister. I'm just not sure if the AE's are the same as the AR's.
Old Jul 09, 2001, 12:07 AM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Joe, thanks for the input. I too will run the 7.2V S400 for a while and might wind up being very happy with it. Maybe 10+ minutes of speed will make me a nervous wreak. Your right in that you can't hardly beat the $5 motor for fun.

By the way, you don't happen to know Joe Putnam from Cedar Rapids do you. He works for a local wireless radio company there.

I just got a note from Robert Cavazos of Cavazos Sailplane Design and he said:

The Twister flies very well on a 7.2 V motor. Flight times are usually in the
7 minute range. This is a very long run time in most cases. The 6 V motor
will get about 4 minutes.
The Standard Composite Twister can handle a Brushless motor. It's just very
close to the edge. The Astro .020 7Turn motor is very light and would be
safer than the more powerful Kontronics. With a little shifting of the radio
gear inside the fuse you can put 7 or 8 1100AAU cells. 7 would be better. We
have found this cell to work very well compared to other high capacity cells.
Old Jul 10, 2001, 11:54 AM
Tullahoma, TN
Joined Jul 2000
986 Posts
I'm flying my Twister with a Max48 (Permax 480) on 10x600AE, APC 5.5x4.5, and the performance is unbelievable for an inexpensive ferrite motor. If I don't fly full bore the entire flight, I can easily get 5+ minutes. I also fly it on 8x600AEs when I want to "slow" things down a bit. I can't see myself going brushless on this airframe when this combo works so well.
EricBjorn is offline Find More Posts by EricBjorn
Old Jul 10, 2001, 05:33 PM
Triad of Fun
Joined Nov 2000
369 Posts
Eric, I'm definitely going to try a brushed setup to start. Appreciate the input on the 480. It looks like I've got a lot of inexpensive options to try out. I just can't hardly wait for it to get here.
Old Jul 11, 2001, 12:29 AM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,455 Posts
I believe that the AE's are for lower current draw, and after about 12-14 amps they start to drop off on their performance where as the AR's are for high current use.
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 11, 2001, 09:39 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
I have about 50 or so flights on my Twister by now and I fly it on a P480 and APC 4.75X4.75 prop. I do not have it firewalled all the time and I get 5 mins ot of a 8 cell 600AE pack. On my RS 1600's I get 8-9 mins but I am deffinatly useing more throttle to make up for the lower performance. I have to say that those times are plenty for me at one time. The plane seems quite fast to me and you definatly have to keep on top of it. 10 cells on this motor and the plane is totally cool. I don't know if a brushless motor is really needed except for a very few pilots who are more sick in the head

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH