SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:50 AM
Defender of the Aerobird!
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
I need to make my Slow Stick a Not So Slow Stick

Well, I maidened my Slow Stick this weekend. After one good trip to the ground (elevator was reversed, DOH) and one trip to the LHS to get another prop, everything is good.

I woke up early this morning to try and fly while the wind was low. It worked, for the most part. The plane took off just fine and climbed up above me. The problem was, it was still 5 feet in front of me, it never made any headway. All of this, and I still wasnt in what I would consider a stiff wind.

The plane flew beautifully, despite the wind, however, and I managed to do a few touch and goes, which were really just "drop and rise". Later I tried my Aerobird Challenger battery in the SS, which is 900 mah as opposed to the 350 mah one that I got with the RX set. That extended my flight time significantly, but still didnt make it any faster.

I am running the stock 300C motor with the EPS-1180 prop. Im not sure of the gear ratio, is there an easy way to tell what it is??

So, given what I am running, what is the best way to make my plane faster, so I can make some forward progress in the wind? My only stipulation is that I would rather not go brushless, as I dont want to buy another ESC right now, and I would rather not go LiPO, as I just bought a charger and it wont do LiPOs.

Other than that, I'm open to whatever. What are your suggestions?
Mattydiah is offline Find More Posts by Mattydiah
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:58 AM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
Wait til theres no wind at all...
SS's are like kites with the wind!!!

Maybe get a 350 and run it on an 8 cell 9.6v pak nimh pak. Mine hauls.
Hobiestoke is offline Find More Posts by Hobiestoke
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:16 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobiestoke
Wait til theres no wind at all...
SS's are like kites with the wind!!!

Maybe get a 350 and run it on an 8 cell 9.6v pak nimh pak. Mine hauls.
See, thats what I want, a plane that hauls. It actually flies nicely in the wind, its just not fast enough to make any headway.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:37 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
My paks are KAN650Mah 9.6v 8 cell packs thats about the most power I can run thru my esc10, If you run that setup on a stock SS with 9g servos it should move... again though I dont fly my ss in any wind if its possible - dont like wasting my pak fighting the wind! The Packs are available from cheapbatterypack.com for about $16-$17 - Ive started building my own packs for like $11...Of course theres only so fast you can get to before taking that expensive brushless plunge. And you've also got the fact the SS was designed as a slow flier too.

If you want a straight up torque roll you'll need to go brushless...been putting it off due to cost but I am about to go brushless in a few weeks. I have seen reports of guys flying SS's on just $8 stock CD rom motors w/a 20-30amp brushless esc. and saying they really move...Thats along the lines of what im gonna do here in a bit...

Are there any mods like paint,camera or anything that could be contributing to the weight or drag factor?

Ive tried a GWS speed 400 and wasnt too impressed at all - doesnt seem to any better than a 350 and adds a whole extra oz of weight.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:38 PM
slow & draggy...
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Jul 2004
463 Posts
Also may want to try a 10x8 or 10x7 prop - you'll get more speed over that 11x8 on a 300 for sure...
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:09 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
OK, so are there any non-GWS 350 or 400 motors out there? Also, about the battery pack, would KAN1050's burn up my ESC? For that matter, how do I tell the difference between an ICS100 and a 300 ESC?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:53 PM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
So, yeah, anyone have any suggestions, or answers?
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:59 AM
Gardena, California, United States
Joined Feb 2004
736 Posts
I'm sorry but do you have your prop on in the right direction with the lettering on the outside~? When I was running my SS on 7 cell Kan 1050's it was slow, but not a crawl. Good luck.
RandyT is offline Find More Posts by RandyT
Old Oct 26, 2004, 01:51 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Me thinks....

For the 300C motor you want THRUST for this baby and
not speed. The 1180 is a speed prop. The 1060 and the
1147 are thrust props.

Depending on your gearing. The letter on the black wheel
which turns the prop. Most likely a 1147 will do you good.

2 cents,
fb
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:18 AM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
You really want to run a ICS300, the ICS100 is bearly strong enough for the job. Also, you can grab a 350 motor and get a little more pep out of it.

As for Brushless, the smallest motor so far I have see on a SS is a Astro 010-14T and it flew well. I can see a SS using a CD Rom motor. The Slow Stick is only 6oz or so heavier than my Tiger Moth, and I can fly as fast or as slow as I want with the TM.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:53 AM
Milwaukee, WI
Joined Dec 2002
394 Posts
The gear just says M0.466T and Has a large "GWS D" on it, if that means anything.

The prop is on the correct way, with the lettering facing the front of the plane.

Is there any way to tell if I have a 100 or 300 ESC?

Thanks for all the help so far!!
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:51 AM
I fly for Beer
Chilliwack, B.C. Canada
Joined Sep 2004
2,730 Posts
My GWS 300 has it written right on the esc
Jagzilla is offline Find More Posts by Jagzilla
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:43 AM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
GWS "D" gear is 6.60:1. Upgrade to the EPS 350 D and run the 11x4.7" prop. you should see a big difference. Also try the prop you have as well.

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Oct 26, 2004, 12:39 PM
Seaford DE
Joined Oct 2002
41 Posts
Mo Power

I put one of the new $26.95 EPSD 350 (dual motor) "D" gearbox 6.60:1. with GWS 1365 prop. Will fly SLOW or move out when you want. Rotates in about a foot or vertical lift if wind is blowing. Got 14.5 min and still had plenty of battery left (2 cell E-Tec 1200 hi perf). Havin fun with it.
dblades is offline Find More Posts by dblades
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:12 PM
Off 2 The Edge of Reality
Scottsdale, AZ
Joined Sep 2003
7,479 Posts
Well, If you can't see the ICS300 on the ESC it may be due to a heatsink being installed onto it. The ICS100 does not come with a heatsink in any packaging that I have seen.
TeamTEOR is offline Find More Posts by TeamTEOR