HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:36 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Build Log
Electric Orange - Gee Bee D " Park Racer"

I designed the Gee Bee D "Park Racer" a few months ago now, and thanks for the group for the help.

I showed a few pics of the end result and I have been pressured into putting the plans up. I still would like to do some changes to the design but she is a nice flyer even as it is now.

EDIT: Consolidated pdf plans now available from my website www.electricorange.com.au under Park Flyers.
scotta is offline Find More Posts by scotta
Last edited by scotta; Jan 23, 2005 at 02:47 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:44 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
pdf Plans

The reason I have been holding back is that I am not totally happy with the undercarriage (broken it a few times) and I also wanted to add some more down thrust. She flys nicely now and is definately a park flyer, maybe with a little more down thrust she will be a little quicker without any down trim.

Power again is an EPS-350C-C and the prototype was powered by an 8 Cell KAN650 pack. It is designed to take Lipo packs but it has not been tested with them.

When I get time I want to come back to this plane to add the finishing touchs, but here are the plans so far. (Undercarriage and cowl are drawn and will be posted soon)

EDIT: Consolidated pdf plans now available from my website www.electricorange.com.au under Park Flyers.
Last edited by scotta; Jan 23, 2005 at 02:54 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:48 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
And some more...

Last edited by scotta; Jan 23, 2005 at 02:55 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:52 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Now as this was a prototype build I did not take a lot of photos during the build. I hope these help with the construction.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:57 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
And the end result, all ready for the maiden. The Park Racer was a great flyer from word go. ROG take off on the maiden with no trim required. Those big UC pants are really dragy so don't expect and super high speed racing unless of cause you are going to slip in a little BL motor.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:59 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
Thanks Scott. I look forward to another great plane. I'll post my progress.
Cary Reeves is offline Find More Posts by Cary Reeves
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:03 AM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Cary,

Your the first one! I hope you put one of your dual J250's in her. Then she will really be a Racer!!

Scott
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:29 AM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I was piecing the plans together and had a problem with the fuse plans fitting. I trimmed to just touch the line. I fit it by folding on the centerline and lining up the last two pieces with the other side. The other tiled drawings appeared to fit together correctly but I don't know. Perhaps a key dimension from each tiled part would help to check the drawing assembly; i.e. overall length and width of the fuse, length of the wing, and length of each of the stabilizers, rudder, and elevator.
Last edited by Cary Reeves; Oct 25, 2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 01:13 PM
I crash, therefore I FLY!
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
I've had similar problems when printing tiled plans. I wonder if it has anything to do with our printer settings? I know when I print, I have some choices, such as leaving all the settings alone, or telling the printer to use the "maximum printing area." Since it I most always find something, somewhere, a little bit off, I've no idea what the best way would be.

I'll keep "eyeballing" the plans together, as I've NO intention of buying a printer that will handle full-sized plans, unless I win the lottery or get one *heck* of a deal on a used one. And I've not found a print shop locally that can and will print them out, much less one that will do it for a reasonable price.

Just looking at whats posted so far, I can't help but wonder if that thin, aluminium flashing material I'm making my cutting templates out of might not be a possible answer to the UC problem Scott mentioned. The stuff is very light, and I'm wondering how it would do, sandwiched between two pieces of foam. Kind of a large "U", running across the underside of the fuse and down into both struts. . . Hmmmmmmmm.

Oh well, back to my Cub building!

Mike S.
mad mike is offline Find More Posts by mad mike
Old Oct 25, 2004, 02:26 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
The wierd thing is, it was just the one piece that didn't match up. Since there weren't any alignment markers, I just cut to the edge of the lines on one page and matched them up to the next page. All was going well until I tried to fit in the top two pieces in the picture above.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:23 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
Maybe Scott will post the CAD file, too. Sometimes I get lucky and can tile print those. Could be the grimlin got in during the conversion to pdf.

How about it, Scott?

Mike S.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:31 PM
On patrol.
Broomfield, Colorado
Joined Jun 2004
1,287 Posts
I've had decent luck also with the CAD files and being able to print parts to legal size paper. Almost anything I have printed would fit on two sheets.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:17 PM
Belleville, IL
Joined Mar 2004
137 Posts
Yes a cad file would be wonderful. I have a plotter that I can plot them on!
dwentz is offline Find More Posts by dwentz
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:46 PM
Spring Hill, FL
Joined Feb 2003
1,489 Posts
I've not tried printing individual parts or small sections from a CAD file, but I guess I'll have to give that a try. (TurboCAD Learning Edition.)

OK, so how about it, Scott? Could you post the CAD file to this thread? If it's small enough, you might be able to post it without "zipping." If not, the zip it up and post it.

"Zip it up and post it?" Man! That doesn't even sound right!!!!

Mike S.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:53 PM
Electric Orange
Orange, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
985 Posts
Cary / Mike

I will check the pdf's. I did these in a rush last night so I may have stuffed up. I unfortunately had the corner markers turned off. I will re-post the A1 pdfs and if the dxf file is not to large I will post it as well.

Thanks guys, this is the problem with being the first to have a go, you find all of my mistakes. Sorry

Scott