Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 18, 2002, 10:44 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Predator Twin, Need your input, please read

As some of you know, Greg G and myself have been developing a new flying wing powered by twin speed 400 motors. We have named this new design, The Predator Twin. Our design goals were a fast, tough, affordable flying wing with good flying manners.

It is a 36 inch wingspan, all epp wing that uses a triple cf spar system , very simple, tough motor mounting, and is very fast, but also slows down nicely for cruising around.

This past weekend at the Mid Winter Electric meet, we decided to publicly debut our new design. The response from the crowd was very positive, as we demonstrated the full throttle ability to scream past a Wedgie, no problem. The howling sound of a twin was also very popular.

We also demstrated the crash survivability, as Greg Lost oriintation while doing a high speed multiple rolls about 20 feet off the deck. He slammed it in at about 70 mph and all that happened was a broken set of props. NO other damage.
]
What we need from you guys is your input to tell us if there is enough interest out there for us to kit this design. We would be trying to keep the cost sensible (tentitivly about $60)

Here is a pic for you guys.

Should we kit it, or not guys? Thanks for your input.---Rob
slowflyer is offline Find More Posts by slowflyer
Last edited by slowflyer; Feb 18, 2002 at 11:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:11 AM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Does the wing structure depend on tape or covering for strength, or do the spars take care of that?

What battery are you using?

Any Zagi type tip stalling? (the only source for crashes with my Zagi )

Will the $60 price include motors or props or is that just for the foam wing?
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:16 AM
Crashez-vous sans stress!
Chicago
Joined Nov 2001
374 Posts
Kit it!

Yes, a resounding yes! I'm just assuming that the cost of the power system will be low--2 speed 400's, one(?) (30-35amp?) ESC, and what flight pack?
Dan H. is offline Find More Posts by Dan H.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:20 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
The spars provide all of the wing rigidity, no fiber tape is ness. We use an 8 cell cp1300 pack. HS 81's are recommended. NO exotic equip. is required.
Part of what has taken so long developing this wing has been arriving at an airfoil design that didn't have any evil habits. We have not experianced any odd tip stalling traits, although if you slow ANY flying wing design down enough, and attempt a sharp turn, IT WILL tip stall. Nature of the beast I'd say. This wing design does slow down very well though.

Initial plans are to include, cores, elevon and tip material, cf spars, and props. We are not planning on providing motors at this time, although that may change. The price I stated was a worst case type of scenario, so it may be lower then that.---Rob
Last edited by slowflyer; Feb 18, 2002 at 11:37 AM.
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:29 AM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
We were CONSTANTLY being asked at MWE if we had brushless motors in that thing. The answer was NO. They are simply Graupner speed 400's that have been given a water break in, and been re timed, which is a super simple task that takes about 30 seconds and a $12 tool. This gives you the ability to spin a Gunther prop at 16 thousand rpm. The last set lasted over 40 flights when we retired them. We did this simply as a precaution, as they were not displaying any problems. We did not re tach them at this point though.

Total amp draw is 25 amps static. We have used a 25 amp esc and had NO problems with it. Flight duration at full throttle is about 4.5 minutes. With throttle management we've gotten up to 8 minutes. I am sure the amp draw reduces in flight.

I don't think the MM Glider tech/ Wedgie guy was very happy with us at MWE

Keep the questions/ comments coming----Rob
Old Feb 18, 2002, 11:30 AM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,356 Posts
Looks good Rob, and cutting cores will give Greg something to do at night. Mike Heer

If you build it they will sell.
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
Old Feb 18, 2002, 03:54 PM
O'Fallon, MO USA
Joined Dec 1999
1,415 Posts
Quote:
The spars provide all of the wing rigidity, no fiber tape is ness.
Thats good news, I've been looking for something entertaining to put in the car and leave all summer for flights on the way home. Nothing seems to hold up better at 130 degrees in a hot car than just a pure reinforced foam plane.

So, I'm interested!

Brad
byoung is online now Find More Posts by byoung
Old Feb 18, 2002, 04:11 PM
Pro Bro # 179
United States, TX, Little Elm
Joined Jan 2002
328 Posts
I like flying my zagi and there is always room to add a twin 400 to the arsinal....Looks like a fun plane to fly, I'd buy one !!!!
KevinM is offline Find More Posts by KevinM
Old Feb 18, 2002, 04:15 PM
USA, CA, Martinez
Joined Feb 2001
1,668 Posts
Count me in. And I, for one like the idea of a kit without motors. I almost always have some spare motors around.
mumblety-peg is offline Find More Posts by mumblety-peg
Old Feb 18, 2002, 04:19 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
I'll take a kit of the wing. Looks great and looks like it'll fly fast. Are they going to come with the motor covers that the blue wing had in the pic? If you are going to be kitting them, when will you be selling them?
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Feb 18, 2002, 04:40 PM
Peachtree City, GA
Joined Aug 2000
845 Posts
It looks like a winner to me. No canopy to fool with and all epp. I don't think it could be tougher.
blfinche is offline Find More Posts by blfinche
Old Feb 18, 2002, 04:43 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Yes, the motor covers will probably be sold with the kit. Believe it or not, all that those are is a specially shaped piece of tape that were placed over the front of the motors to streamline them!! We will be working on vacumn forming some covers for the kit though.

Guys, I'm not joking here, this damn thing is really fast. I would have to place it in the 70 mph range, set up as I've described. The vertical is also outrageous, I overheard someone say at MWE that it seemed to have total command of the sky.

I wish that we could post a video with sound here on the Zone but the only digital recorder we have is a camera that takes 15 second bursts without sound. We will be posting a video only clip soon, we are already working on it.

To be honest with you guys, we are actually afraid that we will be overwhelmed with requests for this plane. It seems that once somebody sees it fly, they want one!!

We'll keep working on it and keep you guys informed. Keep the comments coming.---Rob
Old Feb 18, 2002, 06:55 PM
Tork it or Dork it
Elizabethville,PA USA
Joined Jul 2000
2,198 Posts
How good is the vertical on it. How many feet. I defintely looks like a winner and a plane to have fun with!
Ryan Nau is offline Find More Posts by Ryan Nau
Old Feb 18, 2002, 07:13 PM
Sacramento, CA
Joined Sep 2001
90 Posts
Predator Twin

How soon will we be able to buy one? Price seems reasonable and since I know where you guys live.... (kidding).
Let us know when they're ready.
EBob is offline Find More Posts by EBob
Old Feb 18, 2002, 07:48 PM
Flying slowly along..
Northern Ca.
Joined Dec 2000
1,336 Posts
Hmmmm I don't know exactly how far up it would go in terms of feet. I'd guess 150 ft at least. Greg Was doing BIG consecutive loops, 3 or 4 in a row. If you hold it in your hand and punch it, it will pull right out of your hand straight up. Of course, as I've learned, this doesn't translate in to unlimited vertical when flying.

We are hoping to have them available within the next couple of months. We were waiting to see if you guys wanted them before going ahead with things.

Is there interest in a cheaper cores with instructions only kit? Kind of a "short" kit? Do most of you have coroplast lying around?

I am already considering testing it with a single 400. When you started out you could run a single, then when ready cut out the rear a little bit and add another 400. Do you think this is a good idea?

Tell us what you guys would like to see.

Thanks again for all the comments---Rob