Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:54 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
OK, couple of dumb questions:
Has anyone thought about the CG on this heli? It seems having the CG too far back will cause the heli to want to pop nose up as soon as you get a little forward speed, and if left alone, it will quickly drop back into a "descending hover".

I can't speak to the flattened flybar.... yet. I have some other issues to fix before I can do that to my heli, but it is coming, and soon.

As for flying in high winds... I was on the phone with Matt, I know he actually did it. Also, my corona is relatively stock (belt main and tail, BL, Crazy Crutch and CF feather plate) and I like to use it for slope soaring...
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2004, 05:48 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Man, I hadn't even remembered that! Geeze, I had the phone at my ear (talking to Dave) while flying in the gail force winds in front of my house the other day. I had to tell him to hold on a minute while I fought the heli down! That was a COOL flight!

Matt..........
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:41 PM
Addicted to flight since 1944
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
How critical is the CG on the Corona? I try to position the battery so that sighting the main shaft while holding the grips shows it to be vertical. If I happen to get it off I seem to notice a big difference in behavior. Would it be better dead on or a little forward?
rbrown3rd is offline Find More Posts by rbrown3rd
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Not really. I just center it.

Matt...........
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:03 PM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Ok. That is what I have been doing. I was about to try flattening my flybar but you guys have almost scared me off talking about how twitchy it makes the heli. I have enough trouble with it in stock configuration at my (lack of) skill level.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:30 PM
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
The stock flybar flattened is not twitchy (or not that I have noticed). The carbon flybar is a bit. I would give it a go if you like forward flight.

Matt............
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:48 PM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Ok, I will give it a try. Matt, you ever locate my stuff?
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:59 PM
United States, NY, Mechanicville
Joined Mar 2003
1,203 Posts
Going backwards a little, re: CG on the Corona..

I am a freak (did I say that out loud?). I go dead on center for hover practice, etc.. And then I go a little forward for forward flight. I judge my CG by holding the grips and then looking at the tail boom. For a forward CG, I let the tail raise about 1/4" .

I found it helped a little in keeping the "popping" down.
davensocal is offline Find More Posts by davensocal
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:06 PM
southern Florida
Joined Feb 2004
1,750 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davensocal
Going backwards a little, re: CG on the Corona..

I am a freak (did I say that out loud?). I go dead on center for hover practice, etc.. And then I go a little forward for forward flight. I judge my CG by holding the grips and then looking at the tail boom. For a forward CG, I let the tail raise about 1/4" .

I found it helped a little in keeping the "popping" down.
Good tip on sighting the boom. Thanks. I am still learning. Mostly hovering and piros so I will try to keep the boom level when setting my battery position.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:15 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I tend to get it relatively close, but not absolute. the trim will change a bit with 8cell, but not too much. it does matter a lot if you want hands off hover though.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member