HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:35 PM
Registered abUser
Roanoke, Va.
Joined Dec 2002
252 Posts
Up....down....up.....down......up....down.

What can I do to help the bobble effect of my corona in light winds? Even in very slight breezes I get caught in a stop the heli bob game with my corona. Will flattening the flybar help. I seem to fight the altitude of my corona..well no.. I surely fight the altitude of it more than any thing else. HELP!!!

Danny
losinground is offline Find More Posts by losinground
Last edited by losinground; Oct 24, 2004 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:45 PM
Really?!?
Lost ...on the 3rd rock out
Joined Sep 2001
1,260 Posts
Symmetrical blades and collective pitch.....
ChrisS is offline Find More Posts by ChrisS
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:53 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
flattening the flybar helps the nose up tendencies, rather than bobbing. that is more to do with translational lift more than anything in hover. this effect is true for all heli.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:08 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
go with the 4-4 blade grips if you are using the 4-6
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:26 PM
Registered abUser
Roanoke, Va.
Joined Dec 2002
252 Posts
So in other words, nothing will help since it is a FP heli? I already have the 4-4 grips on. Just thought I would ask.

Danny
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:34 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Nov 2002
1,183 Posts
Any helicopter will need constant correction to maintain the same height due to changes in lift from wind. If your throttle stick still has "steps", then you NEED to get rid of them before you can achieve a smooth even flight.

For a Futaba tx, you just need to open it up, loosen the screw holding down the strip of metal against the cam on the throttle and flip it so that the smooth side of the strip is against the cam. You'll be amazed at the difference in control.
gregw is offline Find More Posts by gregw
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:37 PM
Registered abUser
Roanoke, Va.
Joined Dec 2002
252 Posts
Been there , done that.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:37 PM
My hobby is why Im broke
USA, TN, Millington
Joined Dec 2002
6,861 Posts
It could be your comphesation ability.I fly in winds sometimes up to 10 plus MPH. I dont advise this but the more you fly the better you get. With a CP machine, youre still going to be adjusting the collective to comphensate for the wind.
darthdrk is offline Find More Posts by darthdrk
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:57 PM
Heli Headcase
Cliffside Park, NJ
Joined May 2003
2,551 Posts
Danny...

Had similar issues like that when I first started flying, as your flying skills progress, and as you get a better feel for your heli, this will decrease greatly. Its basically just practice - practice...and yes fixed pitch helis have a greater tendancy to do this. Don't worry, just keep at it and youll eventually get over it.
Orion_V is offline Find More Posts by Orion_V
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:51 AM
luc
I plant balsa sticks too
France
Joined Feb 2000
3,585 Posts
This has nearly completely gone on mine using the nice and flat carbon flybar sold by Matt. You may have to decrease movement of servos as the heli will respond faster.
luc is offline Find More Posts by luc
Old Oct 25, 2004, 01:26 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
You do get lot better at it as you practice. I find that good throttle response is critical too. good strong motor/battery combo is a must. I have flown in high wind upto mid 20s with corona, and good throttle control is must at least in low level hover. in most cases, I tend to do forward flight as heli is more stable in windy condition while it is moving rather than stationary.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:07 AM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Yes, the flattened flybar will help.

I flew two days ago in 40 MPH wind (gusty wind). I had a hard time keeping on my feet! I am a very experienced pilot, though. However, that being said, I flew four 10 minute flights in that wind and had a blast! I was all over the place and fought the heli using full stick movement to keep on top of the buffetting. But, the heli will stand up to it.

I think a stock Corona can tolerate 25 MPH wind prettty easily.

Flatten the flybar. This will not totally eliminate the issue, but it will help.

Matt............
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:36 AM
SoCal
Joined Jul 2004
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
Yes, the flattened flybar will help.

I flew two days ago in 40 MPH wind (gusty wind). I had a hard time keeping on my feet! I am a very experienced pilot, though. However, that being said, I flew four 10 minute flights in that wind and had a blast! I was all over the place and fought the heli using full stick movement to keep on top of the buffetting. But, the heli will stand up to it.

I think a stock Corona can tolerate 25 MPH wind prettty easily.

Flatten the flybar. This will not totally eliminate the issue, but it will help.

Matt............
I have stood in a measured 25 MPH wind and I have to disagree Matt. I don't feel a stock Corona has what it takes to negotiate those winds, especially if it's gusting.

I agree with others that say you will get used to the bobing effect. It used to bother me too, but when I started looking at it as a challenge to try to keep the Corona at a given height, it became fun and I got much better at throttle control!

regards

-Marc
Plummit is offline Find More Posts by Plummit
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I guess i can't say too much about stock setup as I never really had true stock setup. closest was with choppa crutch and rest stock, but I was pretty raw back then. what I can say is though steady wind is easier than gusts. I've flown in gust where whole heli gets shaken and tossed for few sec if you are hovering . (it was at least 25mph gust) and it is not too fun to hover. I fly my body facing side to the wind rather than into the wind. I find have much better control in this condition. I fly. back and forth perpendicular to the wind. works great and great practice. I find that I hav e most control. higher the wind, lower I fly and higher speed i fly. I get some protection from wind from houses that way since I fly in the street.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:06 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plummit
I have stood in a measured 25 MPH wind and I have to disagree Matt. I don't feel a stock Corona has what it takes to negotiate those winds, especially if it's gusting.

I agree with others that say you will get used to the bobing effect. It used to bother me too, but when I started looking at it as a challenge to try to keep the Corona at a given height, it became fun and I got much better at throttle control!

regards

-Marc
That may be true. Admittedly, I haven't flown a stock Corona in quite a while. I do know that my tricked out Corona (Hacker on 3S lipos) required nearly full throttle to keep from being blown back in the wind. VERY challenging!

Matt..............
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man