Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 04, 2009, 08:53 AM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,427 Posts
Quote:
What about Plantraco? They have a 7mm gearbox/motor combo and seperate 7mm SS motors.
Duh. I wrote that in 2004, and that was where we were at at the time.

Since then, after much searching, I found the manufacturing source of the Super Slicks 7mm motors and convinced Didel to order and sell them, sometime in the first half of 2005. That meant there was a consistent source of the motors other than a trip to Toys R Us to get hop up kit motors, and then having to solder on one's own wires. Then, BSD developed their 7mm ball bearing gearbox, using Didel gears. Then, later Atomic Workshop developed their 7mm gearbox. And, much later in just the last few months Plantraco has introduced their 7mm gearbox.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Jan 04, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:00 AM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,427 Posts
Quote:
Hello!
I need constants for Parkzone Cessna motor/gearbox. Has anybody measured them?
Thank you,
Kostya
I have measured them, but not for the Cessna motor directly. My tests indicate the Cessna is equivalent to the Plantraco "rosy" 6mm motor, which is slightly longer than the Didel 4.5 ohm 6mm motor. The Cessna has the same length and performance as the Plantraco Rosy motor, which in turn is very very close to the Didel 4.5 ohm motor. Go to the Micro Threads index and look for my article on 6mm motors and you will find the results for the 4.5 ohm Didel motor. I am having some computer troubles at the moment and can't get at my direct tests of the Plantraco 6mm Rosy motor.

Gordon
Old Jan 04, 2009, 09:32 AM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
.. and, as a reminder, here still my old motor constants article can be found, for those who need the constants of a distinct motor really desperately ...

And here even is an improvement to my method, though not with all the needed formulas.

Hi Gordon, yes I'm alive!

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Last edited by jberg; Jan 04, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2009, 03:59 PM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
I'm trying to add Didel 4.5 to MotoCalc. I need to know rpm/V and no-load current.
Please suggest me how to derive them.

Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Jan 05, 2009, 09:12 PM
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,427 Posts
If you read the article that Jochen provided a link to in the previous post he gives all the details for how to derive those constants.

Gordon
Old Jan 06, 2009, 05:29 AM
Trying To Takeoff
Novosibirsk, Siberia
Joined Dec 2006
2,418 Posts
Gordon, is really can have similar characteristics as Didel 4.5? It have longer can.
What is performance gain from using ball bearings in gearbox? Approximately in percents?

Thank you,
Kostya
salat is offline Find More Posts by salat
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:04 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
4,738 Posts
contact

trying to learn if Joachim Bergmeyer is still around. i learned a lot from his study on motor constants back in 2007.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:22 AM
MSC Rödinghausen, Germany
Joined Feb 2001
954 Posts
Yes, I'm alive. I lost interest in microflying when Toys'r'us started selling 6g flyers for $15,99. It was great fun when it was new to have a sub-ounce flyer. Shifted to photographing, now I'm dealing a lot with my all-electric car (lots to do, lifepo4 batteries, battery management, ...).

Regards, Jochen
jberg is offline Find More Posts by jberg
Old Apr 12, 2011, 08:36 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,738 Posts
no more science-fiction

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post
Yes, I'm alive. I lost interest in microflying when Toys'r'us started selling 6g flyers for $15,99. It was great fun when it was new to have a sub-ounce flyer. Shifted to photographing, now I'm dealing a lot with my all-electric car (lots to do, lifepo4 batteries, battery management, ...).

Regards, Jochen
thank you for answering my request. it's great to have you around. you have done a great job with your contribution to scientific approach to electrics. i learned a lot on how to evaluate motors from your great study on motor constants, for which am grateful.
nowadays am dealing with ultra-micro equipment that a few years ago was unthinkable. when i returned to models on 2007, after a 10 years lapse, i realized i was living beyond science-fiction. the technology we are using is mindboggling. i fly my r/c foam planes at my backyard, whenever the weather-mainly no wind-allows, and am having the time of my life.
now am trying to evaluate these tiny motors more properly, and for that i went back to your study for 4-constants.
if you have the time, give a look at my blog to see what am doing. and thanks again for your geat input.
Old Apr 12, 2011, 05:29 PM
West of California Speedway, East of LaLa, North of Disneyland
Joined May 2001
2,247 Posts
FWIW, Bob Seman sells 7mm motor/gearsets for the Red, Blue and Orange SS motors.

http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?...5&show_all=yes
356Jim is offline Find More Posts by 356Jim
Old Apr 13, 2011, 07:40 AM
Joined Jul 2007
4,738 Posts
full size

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberg View Post

Regards, Jochen
so your electric cars are full size! what kind of charger you use that charges (and balances from the beginning) each cell? i use one for the small packs, that charges several cells and balances simultaneously, but these are a few cells, and i imagine yours are hundreds, maybe thousands, so the complexity of the charger to charge so many individually would be enormous.
now i understand why you are so knowledgeable of electric motors.
edit: i tried to lure you back, but seems you are too busy running a full time job, so thank you for telling us how are you doing. there is a geat future on electrics, be models or full size cars.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Apr 19, 2011 at 05:01 AM.