HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:19 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
3 minute video with a good thermal and a new HLG plane

Howdy all-

A 3 minute video was posted the other day by one of "the group" and I wanted to share it- It's a intro video for our newest HLG called the "FRY"

It has 2 minutes of "SHOE" catching a thermal in it. Pretty neat to see how some park thermals operate. The plane is launched SAL or "SIDE ARM LAUNCH"

If you want to get good at finding thermals, you should be flying every chance you get- this little plane really lets you learn about thermals quickly- and teaches you how to make smooth thermal turns and to practice your handcatches. It signals a thermal with a noticeable "bump" or by just rasing in the air quickly. At 4 to 5 ounces, it doesnt need much more than a schoolyard thermal to get it rising.

There are two versions of the video (different compression/file sizes), I recommend the larger MPEG as the quality is much better. Here are the links:

http://www.hankandheather.com/stuff/minidlg.mpg
(MPEG, 30MB)

http://www.hankandheather.com/stuff/minisal.wmv
(WMV, 11MB)

If you have any more questions, email us- the plane is not on the website yet. It will be in November.

Thanks

Dean
steelhead is offline Find More Posts by steelhead
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:21 PM
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,571 Posts
I've never gotten the hang of chuck gliders...
MrMootsie is offline Find More Posts by MrMootsie
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:31 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
This one is very easy. Did you see the video?

Rudder, elevator control. You can overhand "javelin" throw it or SAL it. Super easy, and a "normal" no oomph toss will get it to 50-60 feet. Then, you fly it like you would any thermal hunting device, and then handcatch it or land it on the grass. Kinda like playing catch with yourself, and not having to haul a winch or a highstart. If you have 30 minutes to fly, you can actually have the plane in the air 29 minutes of that, with only 2 to 3 seconds of time betweeen flights.

Dean
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:58 PM
When's the next fly-in?
Tanner, Alabama
Joined Oct 2003
6,480 Posts
Hey Dean, that last picture in your first post sure does look nice! Oh yeah, that was my plane. I've got to get my new one flying soon.

btw, that sure was a nice thermal in that video...good flying Shoe!

dee
dee-grose is offline Find More Posts by dee-grose
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:39 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Yess Dee-
That was an awesome picture good one!

Dean
Old Oct 28, 2004, 02:27 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Apr 2004
417 Posts
I like the looks

I like the looks of those gliders. Makes me want one. Click here this is information for low altitude thermaling that works..

www.rcgliders.blogspot.com
kewhite is offline Find More Posts by kewhite
Last edited by kewhite; Jan 14, 2005 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 28, 2004, 02:39 PM
Oregon, United States
Joined Jul 2004
1,138 Posts
Hey DEE! Get on it and quit Flinging that purple plane around! Im working on my #2 I have been a bit slow due to building a BLT electric to replace my Slow Stick. But should have it completed by the end of the weekend. Are you doing anything special to your #2 build to strengthen it for the radical flying you do. GO AUBURN!

Tony
Tshires is offline Find More Posts by Tshires
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:02 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,629 Posts
Dean,

I watched your videos a couple days ago back in the original thread. Excellent video of the launch and thermal entry. I hope everyone visiting this thread gets to watch a thermal in action from a distance.

Scott
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Oct 29, 2004, 01:00 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
Thanks Scott!
That's my buddy SHOE flying. It is awesome to see a micro thermal in action, and something that anyone who is a thermal seeker should strive to see to better understand the "PREY"

Learning how they work so "up close and personal" such as the case when flying HLG, you will get much better at flying in thermals that are 100 to 500 feet up. At those altitudes, I feel it requires more learned knowledge to stay in them than some of them at the ground level. At the ground, it is obvious when you are in one, and definately noticeable when you are not in one. At higher altitudes, you might lose 20 to 40 feet before realizing you are in sink. You can learn more about micro thermals in one afternoon flying HLG than months of weekends flying 2 meters + (the trick is to apply your knowledge of thermals you gain to when you are flying your 99" sailplane off the winch at contests

Thanks again- and make sure you thank SHOE, not only did he grab that thermal, he was also filming himself

Dean
Old Oct 29, 2004, 06:05 PM
USA, AZ, Tucson
Joined Apr 2002
563 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-grose
...good flying Shoe!

dee
thanks, nice plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
Thanks again- and make sure you thank SHOE,not only did he grab that thermal, he was also filming himself
a little lonely, just me, my plane and my camera...but hey that's more airspace for me! Just don't judge the plane too harshly by the pilot's poor performance. I'm a SAL N00B.
shoe is offline Find More Posts by shoe
Old Nov 06, 2004, 10:15 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
I still like how the eagle and the fry fade in the one scene....brown magestic soaring bird..... small flitty sailplane

Dean
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:53 PM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
wow, that plane is so small, how can you fit a reciever or servos into that? what is the max. flight time before the battery goes? and how far can you fly it before it goes out of range?

hehe....i am intrigued
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old Nov 09, 2004, 12:10 AM
expert crasher
Newport Beach, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
126 Posts
hey would anyone be willing to part with a used one thats rtf for a resonable price? I have neither the time nor the building skill to complete any thing much beyond an arf. it doesn't matter if it is beat up and doesn't look so pretty any more just as long as it flys well.

thanks alot,
the Ari from the O.C.

p.s. I wonder if it could stand up to a high start meant for a 2m plane?
mybitplanebitme is offline Find More Posts by mybitplanebitme
Old Nov 09, 2004, 01:44 AM
No drugs to fly high
Toronto, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
764 Posts
I am not an expert on this micro sailplanes, but I think the wings on that plane is too small and weak for a hi-start....besides....even if it was strong, your plane will probably spec out quickly when you send it up.....hehe
oracle_9 is offline Find More Posts by oracle_9
Old Nov 09, 2004, 12:07 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
Eureka, Ca
Joined Sep 2002
2,771 Posts
There might be a few people out there with some building time for you, but to be honest- I have built all of mine in less than 5 hours total, and that was with goofing around in the shop. One was built in 3 hours, and flown same day.

The recievers are usually GWS or BERG type, and they are about the size of a quarter. They are not expensive either, usually around 20 to 30 bucks. Servos can be bought (really inexpensive ones) on ebay for 10 bucks each.

The range is"technically" as far as you can see that it is an airplane and not a speck, but i've had mine flying with a gws rx further than that. Never had a range issue.

The highstart is so not needed. Even a simple toss from someone sitting yielded a 40 foot launch height. From 40 feet, I think I get still air times of 30 to 40 seconds just flying it out and away, and then back to land. I would say you would have to build a special highstart for about $10.00 worth of surgical tubing (10 feet) and 30 feet of fishing line, a keyring and a tent stake with some ribbon on it. Super lightweight surgical tubung, nothing larger.

Dean