Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Hark what's that I hear?

Just making smoke

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadconversions
Go to bed Bill, I'm just getting to read my post and you keep repling to them. BTW, search the midnight owl club thread and post there. It's after midnight... Would love to have you join
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Oct 30, 2004, 02:07 AM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Whoot, whoot... It's almost as good as the Probos...
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Oct 30, 2004, 09:55 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Successful Maiden

Well I finished her up last night and out to the field I went this morning. Way to windy 5-10 mph and gusty, not good for a maiden but had to fly!

I have an Axi 2212/26 with a 10x5E and 1100 polyquest battery. She took off into the wind and up-up and away. Very little trim required and inverted she flew level, wow I had the CG right. It is like others have said very pattern like. Balsa snaps so much better than foam. I tried some knife edge but I don't have quite enough rudder, it would do it but I had to have a lot of speed. It was a chore keeping the wings vertical in the wind but it showed me it could do it. I didn't seem to have much wing tuck in knife edge.

Slowed down to check the stall speed and it really didn't drop a wing so I wasn't too concerned with landing. I then tried some hovering but the wind made it pretty difficult. Balsa is harder to hover than the foamies but I'll see how she does when the wind dies down. Landing was uneventful at 5 mph into the wind. My first StevensAero bird was a success and I look forward to flying again when the wind dies down. Oh ya, the battery came down nice and cool.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Oct 30, 2004, 10:07 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
vERY SHARP COVERING JOB.
What does the underside look like?
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Oct 30, 2004, 11:31 AM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Thanks Mexico,

I'm no trim expert just straight lines for me. It turned out pretty well for me. The underside is just white for now as I wanted to fly but I'll probably put some vertical stripes on it. The blue covering is believe it or not Monocote. It's the only blue I had and I was concerned it would make it tail heavy. The blue on the cowl is Testors enamel Sapphire blue and matches well. The battery is in the front but it balances perfectly. AUW is 16-1/4 oz. I was pleased with that.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Oct 30, 2004, 12:04 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflyer
How important are the dowls that hold the landing gear in place. It's a tight fit but I forgot to put them in and I'll have to disconnect my aerilons and such to get to it. I land pretty softly but I don't want to drive the gear into the fuselage.

Grant
Unimportant. Sorry it took so long to get you an answer, just missed the question.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 30, 2004, 12:32 PM
Grass Valley California
Joined Jun 2004
2,458 Posts
you guy's have gone and done it, you made me bite the bullet and I ordered my stella yesterday, got the pay pal conformation and now I just have to wait for the postman. This hobby is expensive always needing to buy the next greatest,LOL .

This will be my 2nd balsa electric and I need to see how they are building and enginering I want to do a weeks solution in balsa,

Dennis
Dennis C is offline Find More Posts by Dennis C
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:20 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflyer
Well I finished her up last night and out to the field I went this morning. Way to windy 5-10 mph and gusty, not good for a maiden but had to fly!

I have an Axi 2212/26 with a 10x5E and 1100 polyquest battery. She took off into the wind and up-up and away. Very little trim required and inverted she flew level, wow I had the CG right. It is like others have said very pattern like. Balsa snaps so much better than foam. I tried some knife edge but I don't have quite enough rudder, it would do it but I had to have a lot of speed. It was a chore keeping the wings vertical in the wind but it showed me it could do it. I didn't seem to have much wing tuck in knife edge.

Slowed down to check the stall speed and it really didn't drop a wing so I wasn't too concerned with landing. I then tried some hovering but the wind made it pretty difficult. Balsa is harder to hover than the foamies but I'll see how she does when the wind dies down. Landing was uneventful at 5 mph into the wind. My first StevensAero bird was a success and I look forward to flying again when the wind dies down. Oh ya, the battery came down nice and cool.

Grant
Another fine Stella! Congrats on the maiden, Grant!
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Oct 30, 2004, 01:36 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,804 Posts
Anybody have a clear cowling they would trade for a white one? I'm finally getting around to covering mine and my scheme would prefer a clear one....

BTW those Stellas are "Stellar"! hehehehe....

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Oct 30, 2004, 07:30 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I think the production cowls are all white. Clear would be cool though.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:38 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
hey guys,

i took the stella out this afternoon and mum took some pics.
i am loving this power system more and more every time i fly it.

the stella likes to pose, just a little
james_28 is offline Find More Posts by james_28
Last edited by james_28; Oct 31, 2004 at 04:00 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:45 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
more.......

some speak fot them selves, mum was pretty brave to hang around and take them
Old Oct 31, 2004, 03:54 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
sorry for all the hovering, the camera wouldn't pick up much else in the evening light.
Old Oct 31, 2004, 06:06 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Awesome! Great pictures, and good job hovering down low...
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Closed Thread