Closed Thread
Old Nov 21, 2004, 06:25 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kelly
Yes, roll coupling with rudder is bad at anything less than full speed on mine. Too bad as this is one sweet build and great looking ship. It has some problems but it does great touch and goes, I'll take an Attitude any time.

Rob
Funny you'd say that I sold my Attitude and put the gear in the Stella. I couldn't get a stable hover/torque in the Attitude no matter how far the CG was back. To each their own I guess

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2004, 08:31 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
I finally had a chance to fly her today with heavier packs and what a diference the right CG makes

I was still able to hover virtually effortlessly and harrier's are a piece of cake. Snaps are easy and waterfalls are super tight.

Interesting info regarding the KE of Stella. For me I haven't really been able to keep it locked in for any length of time. I know it's not a foamy, and I don't expect it to fly like one, but I'd love to be able to do a nice slow harrier KE across the deck. Which of course, my foamies will do all day long.

The guys at the field today had their first look at it this morning and were totally impressed with the way it looks and flies.

So far it kicks the pants off of the other "3D" balsa planes I've built.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:04 PM
charlotte nc
Joined Nov 2002
579 Posts
I saw this plane today at the flying field........all I can say is that it is another GREAT plane from Bill !!!! and Ron did a super job building and flying it !!
Jack
citabria7 is offline Find More Posts by citabria7
Old Nov 21, 2004, 09:23 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Thanks, Jack. I went back to the field this evening and had even more fun. Got into some incredible KE spins thanks to your tutoring.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Nov 22, 2004, 01:17 PM
Brighton, CO
Joined Oct 2004
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daking
Ya, i am real fond of slow knife edge right across the deck then lead into a rolling harrier and then finish with a knife edge in same direction i was going. Just make's it really hard to start or finish with the knife if it roll's inverted on me !!
I did try a pattern knife edge( fairly fast with very little rudder ) and it's seemed ok that way. I just have my CG back too far for nice clean pattern.

Guess i will try to make a mix the next time i fly it. Atleast it will help.

Maybe a straight hinge on the rudder will help????
I built a new rudder/fin with a vertical hinge line and it really didn't help.

Rob
Rob Kelly is offline Find More Posts by Rob Kelly
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:28 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Sorry if this is a duplicate but I haven't seen an answer from you as to which way the plane is rolling with or against rudder and as to which direction you are in slip left or right?

-Bill

Quote:
I have a razor in there swinging a 12x8 gws prop. KE both way's has ton's of coupling.

1320 tp pack, AUW is about 13 oz's.
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Nov 22, 2004, 02:31 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Kelly
I built a new rudder/fin with a vertical hinge line and it really didn't help.

Rob
That would actually work against you not for you.
Old Nov 22, 2004, 04:54 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
With the left wingtip straight down, right rudder rolls left. If the wingtip is not straight down, it doesn't roll nearly as much.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Nov 22, 2004, 05:31 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arenablimp
Sorry if this is a duplicate but I haven't seen an answer from you as to which way the plane is rolling with or against rudder and as to which direction you are in slip left or right?

-Bill
The plane roll's inverted on both side's of knife edge. I will build a mix the next time i fly it to see if it help's.

I thought about the straight hinge and yes, it would make it worse. The only way i see fixing the roll coupling is to (1) lower the stab (2) add some diehedral(spelling?).

Dont get me wrong, i love this plane!! This is the only flaw i have found.

Maybe put the stella elevator on the 480 groove and have the ultimat 3D/pattern ship??????
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Nov 22, 2004, 06:09 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
I'd check your wing to see that it is straight. The dihedral is built into the wing via the taper. The top of the wing is flat with the bottom tapering up to create the dihedral...

one - your wing could be on upsided down.
two - bent wing if you invert your wing on a flat surface the top spar should lay perfectly flat across the table. If it bows up at the tips away from the table then your wing is bent - this would eliminate some of the dihedral and cause a condition where it would roll against rudder application.

Reducing the stab height will also cause more roll against rudder as it reduces the effective dihedral of the stab. (not what you want)

Just trying to help - sounds like you have a bit more roll coupling then I have ever experienced with this model.

-Bill

Quote:
The plane roll's inverted on both side's of knife edge. I will build a mix the next time i fly it to see if it help's.

I thought about the straight hinge and yes, it would make it worse. The only way i see fixing the roll coupling is to (1) lower the stab (2) add some diehedral(spelling?).

Dont get me wrong, i love this plane!! This is the only flaw i have found.

Maybe put the stella elevator on the 480 groove and have the ultimat 3D/pattern ship??????
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:46 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,859 Posts
Dihedral

Mine didn't fly very well after I added some polyhedral....

-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Nov 22, 2004, 07:56 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,415 Posts
Holy Smokes. That picture just makes me cringe.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:04 PM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,403 Posts
Is it safe to assume that your wing is a tad bit bent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by twu01
Mine didn't fly very well after I added some polyhedral....

-Ted
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:06 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Holy Smokes. That picture just makes me cringe.

I'm at the point where it was "just another plane"...Oh well. I've got another coming. Maybe the flag got shot down by an Iraqi SAM. I think I'll stick with a simpler scheme this time around.

-Ted
Old Nov 22, 2004, 08:08 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,859 Posts
Quote:
Is it safe to assume that your wing is a tad bit bent?
Nahhh. It just looks that way in the picture. Must be your monitor....I'm converting it to a DLG. Should be cool....

-Ted
Closed Thread