HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:32 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Collosal screw-up! I hope you guys don't get tired of helping me out.

I installed one of my ailerons about a 1/16" to 1/8" in from the wing tip and yep you guessed it, it drags on the fuselage. How do I correct this? Looks like I have two choices, 1. cut the hinges and do it again if I can dig out the old hinges or 2. trim the inner rib so it clears. Any suggestions?

Man, I thought I was ready to install my gear but it's starting to look like it's not meant to be.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:59 PM
Inverted Electric Flyer
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2004
510 Posts
Parkflyer,
When that happens to me, I usually just trip the rib just a tad....

On a lighter note, I got my Stella in the mail today. I went outside and put the fuselage together. I really love how he strengthened up the front area compared to the Groove. it went together nicely and I'll try to get started on the wings tomorrow.

These are the most amazing kits......What if all kits were designed this good......
tmproff is offline Find More Posts by tmproff
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:14 AM
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,133 Posts
I got to see those 2 stellar Stella's fly on sunday. I am about to order one...

Mike
Smash McCrash is offline Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:38 AM
Dallas Downtown, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2004
168 Posts
I had to put my servo on the bottom b/c I couldnt thread the pull pull system through the straws after I covered it - and it was getting late and I really wanted to fly it the next day. I probably tried to thread the cables for longer than it would have taken to remove a section of covering, install the cables, and then recover the section.
Abomination is offline Find More Posts by Abomination
Old Oct 26, 2004, 07:59 PM
Inverted Electric Flyer
Joined Jan 2004
510 Posts
Well here's proof that it takes 2 days to get it into the covering phase. This plane went together very well with few times I had difficulty. I am going to the LHS to get the covering tomorrow afternoon!!

Old Oct 26, 2004, 09:19 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
TM, looks sweet. I'm in the final stages of the wing build and if I had more than 10 minutes here and there to work on it I'd be done by now. Hoping to spend some time on it tonight as a matter of fact.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Oct 27, 2004, 12:44 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,381 Posts
Hmm, I think I'd just try and cut the original hinge free and re-hinge in a different spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflyer
Collosal screw-up! I hope you guys don't get tired of helping me out.

I installed one of my ailerons about a 1/16" to 1/8" in from the wing tip and yep you guessed it, it drags on the fuselage. How do I correct this? Looks like I have two choices, 1. cut the hinges and do it again if I can dig out the old hinges or 2. trim the inner rib so it clears. Any suggestions?

Man, I thought I was ready to install my gear but it's starting to look like it's not meant to be.

Grant
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Oct 27, 2004, 05:07 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
hey guys,

i pulled the axi 2212/34 out of the stella to install the eflypower motor and 1800 3s pack, it weighs just under 18oz, i must have been a little to generous with the glue. i ran it up and it will hold its weight under 1/2 throttle with a 12x3.8 apc on a 6.6:1 himaxx gearbox. not sure how many amps, i have a wattmeter on the way so i will be able to tell soon. flying it in the morning.
james_28 is offline Find More Posts by james_28
Old Oct 27, 2004, 07:24 AM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
James,
Looking forward to hearing how it goes, good luck with the maiden.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Oct 27, 2004, 09:29 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,236 Posts
Got my Stella and thought the thread had died! Should of known it went to "part 2". I was wondering how much time it would take to build and got my answer here! Thanks for the information! I'm planning a trip up to New Creations this weekend to buy covering.

Can't wait to get started!

By the way, Ted ( TWU01) ....you've been real quiet........got your Stella up yet?

-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:09 AM
Inverted Electric Flyer
Joined Jan 2004
510 Posts
Ok Pete, here is my try at your awesome idea. Can't wait to fly it. I got everything but the rudder servo and tail wheel set up.

Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:29 AM
Inverted Electric Flyer
Joined Jan 2004
510 Posts
Hey SRush99,
What part of Houston do you live in? I'm in the Kingwood area. We should do some Stella formations!
Old Oct 28, 2004, 04:18 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
James,
Looking forward to hearing how it goes, good luck with the maiden.

Cheers,
Jim
thanks Jim,

i was going to fly it this morning, but as i was taxiing out the wheels dug in and the prop hit the ground and sheared the stick off. happened this afternoon aswell, bit of a pain.

the flight went extremely well, even in extremely strong winds i got to know the new plane(now being 3+ oz heavier over the axi setup, it flies a lot different).
I ended up with a a 6.6:1 himaxx gearbox and a 12x3.8 and got very pleasing results. i am using an rclithiumpower 1800 3s pack which weighs 120g and fits nicely in the battery compartment as it is only about 30mm wide. the ready to fly weight came too 17 3/4oz.

i placed it on the runway and throttled up too about 1/4 and it gently pulled off the ground, than i advanced it too 1/2 and it was going vertical untill it ran out of puff and settled in a hover. i then kicked it over and came downwind with full throttle what a difference in speed over the axi, going downwind this baby was cruuising at a comfortable pace it had lost most of its floatiness, but not all. it could still harrier beautifully and sit in a rock solid hover, but it didn't slow down like the axi setup did. the snaps are alot better now and it can now perform vertical snaps on the upline, and blenders and spins are now super fast and look like they will tear the plane up.
i think i will move the CG back even more to get some nice knife edge happening and t help slowing down on landings. in the strong headwind i was doing some nice rolling (stationary)harriers that looked absolutely awesome.
the pack came down only slightly warm and the motor was just fine aswell, this was after an 18 minute flight of above 1/2 throttle for 90% of the flight.
i just finished charging it and put 1590 mah back in.

i think i prefer the stella as a pattern plane, i like its huge loops and rolling capabilities which combine to make a nice routine. just MO

this power system will stay with the stella, and the axi can go back to its home.
Last edited by james_28; Oct 28, 2004 at 05:25 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 06:52 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by james_28
i think i prefer the stella as a pattern plane, i like its huge loops and rolling capabilities which combine to make a nice routine. just MO
Have you tried the Groove? In not, give it a try. If you like Stella's pattern performance, you will LOVE the Groove.
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Oct 28, 2004, 07:03 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
it is a lovely model(yours included), i would get one now but when the components add up it gets a little pricey.

also, i have got the stella ready to take up in the morning when there is no wind to give it another go.
Closed Thread