HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:31 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
BTW, the weather was finally nice today... and I had to go to work. Tomorrow too... But, of course, come the weekend, there'll be plenty of wind...
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:38 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Thanks Doc
Today was awesome! Didnt get to fly though! Dang short winter days!

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Nov 15, 2004, 04:42 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,849 Posts
Mexico,

I think a more appropriate sized comparo would be the G-Ride and the Stella. The Groove has a bigger fuse overall. But I'll leave the comments to Bill as stated above.

BTW I want my Mojo too! The legit CDROM sized balsa planes are the MiniTOC and the Nemesis II as far as I know....Definitely WAY outnumbered by those foamy things.

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:25 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
OUCH!
But seriously. Is the main difference in design between the two the wing size and shape or am I missing the subtleties?
Wing area, wingspan, length, wing taper, aileron chord, airfoil shape, airfoil thickness, wing and stab incidence, tail shape, vertical stab taper and hinge taper, counterbalance and tail surface area (no counter balances on the Groove), to begin with. Most of those are subtle, but definately effect the performance of the model. That is just what I am aware of, and I'm sure that Bill has lots of other changes.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:32 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
She flies!!

Well, today must have been nice all the way up the East coast so I did what any responsible person would do and took an extended lunch to maiden Stella.

First impressions are;
1. Nice stable plane that needed very little trim on the first flight
2. Only had a chance to run three packs through but the Razor 400 and Polyquest 3s850's were a perfect lightweight combo. Both batteries and motor were cool and flight times were in the 7-8 minute range. Solid vertical but not a rocket.
3. CG is a little aft of the recommended range with the lightweight packs and motor
4. Hovers very easily
5. Tumbles effortlessly
6. Flies a little faster than I expected
7. Landings are a non-event

One thing I did notice was that I had a lot less rudder authority turning right, even with monster throws. I'm wondering if the 12x6 prop had something to do with that. Since I'm considering a new motor and battery combo to help with the CG, I'm thinking of going down to a smaller prop, say a 10x4.7, on a lower gearing. What do you experts think?

Also couldn't get blenders to flatten out but I haven't dialed in all the down elevator that's available and that may have something to do with it.

All in all, a perfect day for the maiden of an awesome plane.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:49 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrandle
One thing I did notice was that I had a lot less rudder authority turning right, even with monster throws. I'm wondering if the 12x6 prop had something to do with that. Since I'm considering a new motor and battery combo to help with the CG, I'm thinking of going down to a smaller prop, say a 10x4.7, on a lower gearing. What do you experts think?

Also couldn't get blenders to flatten out but I haven't dialed in all the down elevator that's available and that may have something to do with it.

All in all, a perfect day for the maiden of an awesome plane.

Ron
I run an APC 11x5.5 E prop and think it is perfect. Good speed and thrust combo.

What technique are you using on the Blenders? Get the max throw and be sure to use at least 1/2+ throttle during the transition. With over 3/4 throttle mine are stationary or climbing

Congrats!!

Scott
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:52 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Congrats, Ron!
Man, how I envy you getting to fly through 3 packs on a beautiful day. All I got to fly today was my desk at work and the blackboard...
Got any inflight shots/vid?
Doc
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:55 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Scott, I climb to a crash-proof height, nose over and full left aileron, cut power to 1/4. After a few spins, full down and full right rudder. I don't think I had enough throttle as the nose was pointing down and looked more like a bad knife edge spin.

11x5.5? I may just have to try that.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 05:58 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Scott, I climb to a crash-proof height, nose over and full left aileron, cut power to 1/4. After a few spins, full down and full right rudder. I don't think I had enough throttle as the nose was pointing down and looked more like a bad knife edge spin.

11x5.5? I may just have to try that.
Why do you have the power at 1/4 on the way down. I usually cut the throttle off completely once I nose it down, and then all I need is about 1/3 throttle (along with elevator of course) to get it into a blender. It's almost instantaneous, and, as Scott said, once you go past 3/4 throttle you start to climb.
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:06 PM
Live to fly!
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
One other thing: In a blender I usually find it necessary to reduce the aileron input (and sometimes give even a little opposite aileron until the spin flattens). Keep full down elevator and full rudder, but play with the ailerons a bit...
Doc
Old Nov 15, 2004, 06:09 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
I climb to a crash-proof height
That exists? darn, I've really been hosing it up of late

Try this. crash proof height, close the throttle, vertical line down, full left aileron for 3-4 rolls. Add full right rudder, full down elevator, a split second later add 1/2 throttle (it will look REALLY violent - and it is), and add approximately 1/2 right aileron. Modulate the aileron (probably be neutral to 1/2 right aileron), but hold the rudder and elevator controls constant.

Scott
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:13 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,849 Posts
Anybody see the new upcoming Razors? I'm liking the numbers on the bigger 1" diameter motors. Should be a great Stella or even Groove geared setup...

http://razormotors.com/

-Ted
Ted U is offline Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Nov 15, 2004, 08:43 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Ted, the RZ-H2 also looks sweet. 4274 kv at 39g, put that on a 6.6 gb and it'd be nice.

I wonder what GB fits the bigger motors?

Ron
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:56 PM
Motor Maniac
Orange County, CA
Joined Feb 2002
2,875 Posts
I just started building my Stella (this thread is about the Stella, isn't it?). The only problem I'm having is getting the parts out of the sheets. Seems like I got some hard balsa and the laser didn't quite cut through in a lot of places. Anyone else have this issue with their Stella?

This is my first SA kit, so far love the construction techniques.
10Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by 10Thumbs
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:04 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Several pieces of balsa in my kit had to be gone over again with a knife becuase of the difference in wood density. I've had the same with other kit manufactures as well.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Closed Thread