and a little Groove...
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2004, 04:57 AM
Joined Oct 2002
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchiess
Instructions? We don't need no stinking instructions!

Programing your Berg 5

Pete
Pete, Thanks for the information. My Berg is a Berg 5 DSP and not a DSP II.
I am certain it did not come with any jumpers, and the instructions ( I actually saved them!!) never mention using jumpers to use channel 6. The instructions do state that the 5th output is for transmitter channel 6, which can be used for the 2nd servo for flapperons.

I am using a JR XP652 Radio. I will look and see if there is a way to program the radio to use the second servo as an aileron servo.

Thanks again.
cubsflyer is offline Find More Posts by cubsflyer
Old Nov 11, 2004, 08:10 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Doc, it looks like you had an awesome day!! Were you reported to the FAA for the near miss with the jetliner?

My Stella is 98% covered and if I can manage an hour or so over the next few days I can cover the rudder and get her in the air this weekend. Of course, we're supposed to have rain from Friday til Monday. :-(

Will keep plugging away in the meantime.

Ron
ronrandle is offline Find More Posts by ronrandle
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:01 AM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
hey guys,

my net got zapped in a storm and couldn't get on the forum, it was killing me. but i did get time to fix the stella, she was a mess upfront but once i took a good look at the jigsaw puzzle peices i had of it i managed to get it back to an acceptable state. i also added a carbon tube in the motor stick(i think twu01 mentioned it, sorry if it was someone else who said, so thanks to the person who did)which strengthened it up a heap.
i got it covered andyou couldn't tell it happened. i had to fix the plastic part of the spur gear back to the aluminium hub with CA, it has held up to one flight and looks like it will stay put.

i diagnosed the esc problem aswell, it was just me overloading the BEC with 4 servo's(so maybe the manual needs checking over evry now and again lol)when its rated at 3 max. i will replace it with a phoinex 25 before i take it up and risk it.
james_28 is offline Find More Posts by james_28
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:46 AM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
James, glad to hear you've got her back in flying condition. Although I hate making repairs myself and have been known to leave a damaged model in a corner for months, I find it's usually just a matter of stripping off the covering and re-gluing. Occassionaly you need to make new parts, but in all but the worst of cases you can get her back up in the air.

Way to go James.

Ron
Old Nov 12, 2004, 03:26 PM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronrandle
James, glad to hear you've got her back in flying condition. Although I hate making repairs myself and have been known to leave a damaged model in a corner for months, I find it's usually just a matter of stripping off the covering and re-gluing. Occassionaly you need to make new parts, but in all but the worst of cases you can get her back up in the air.

Way to go James.

Ron

thanks ron, it took some good eyeballing to find the right peices and where they went but i got all the crucial supports in place.
its good to have it flying again but i dont want to risk flying with the MGM esc again so i will try and order a phoinex 25 this week. if i order from an aussie vendor on this weekend i might get it before next weekend which would be good.
james_28 is offline Find More Posts by james_28
Old Nov 12, 2004, 09:02 PM
Joined Oct 2002
301 Posts
Different CG Positions

I am almost complete with my build and almost ready for the maiden. I install the radio gear and battery to test the CG. I am using an AXI 2212-26 with a Apogee 1530 3S battery. In the instruction manuel Bill states the CG should be 1.25 to 1.5 inches aft of the main spar. To even come close to that, I have to push the battery and receiver as far forward as possible.

How far back from the main spar is your CG?

Also curious where you are measuring your plane's CG? On the wing tips or on the main wing formers? Does it make a differance?

As always I appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge and experience.

Thanks
cubsflyer is offline Find More Posts by cubsflyer
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:15 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
I was flying mine at the aft end of the servo pockets, which would be about 1.4" aft of the spar. I felt like it could come back just a hair to be in the real sweet spot. I c.g.'ed it on the aft end of the servo box...

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Nov 12, 2004, 10:40 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,408 Posts
I'm at the aft end of the servo mounting structure as well. Very controllable. I wouldn't go aft of there though. Beyond that, I notice a bit of pitch divergence (expected).

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Nov 13, 2004, 12:03 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
That was easy

Well, I just finished framing up my stella, Bill's planes are just amazing. I have maybe 5 hours into it so far and it looks great. I do have one thing I am not clear on and the is the ply doubler for the wing screws, do you just glue it onto the bottom of the wing? Seems like I made it through this one pretty much perfect except that I put the blind nuts in upside down, and I even thought about it before I put them in . they are glued in so I hope that will not be an issue. Back to sanding the wheel pants.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:03 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,408 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH
I do have one thing I am not clear on and the is the ply doubler for the wing screws, do you just glue it onto the bottom of the wing?
Jim
Yes.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:04 PM
Huntersville, NC
Joined Jul 2002
1,699 Posts
Jim, I second your sentiment on the quality of Bill's planes. I'm amazed at the attention to detail and the incredible engineering that goes into his designs.

I did the same thing on my wing bolts even though I planned it out in advance to avoid making a mistake. I wound up adding another bolt on the other side of the t-nut just for safety sake. I'm finished with the covering and most of the electronics are in, if all goes well Stella will be ready for her maiden tomorrow. If the wind cooperates we'll be golden.

Ron
Old Nov 13, 2004, 11:40 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,228 Posts
Stella

Just finished framing up my Stella. I agree that this is the best kit I've built since starting in R/C 18 years ago. I'll start covering it once my order gets here from Bill.

-Stuart
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Last edited by SRush99; Nov 13, 2004 at 11:42 PM. Reason: pic too big!
Old Nov 14, 2004, 03:37 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,983 Posts
Hey guys!

Took the Stella out today... It was pretty windy...But With the bigger batteries, and 2:1 thrust to weight ratio, I barely noticed! I was doing stationary harrier rolls into the wind!

Here are some pics from today

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Nov 14, 2004, 04:14 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Great photos! How did you get that knife edge shot? Is that a telephoto lens?

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Closed Thread