Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:17 AM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
and another for perspective. Photo credits to Dave (The Other Dave), with his fancy dandy hi-tech camera
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Last edited by sukhoi26mx; Nov 07, 2004 at 11:21 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:26 AM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,794 Posts
Nice shot, Scott...Where'd you get the big SA decals? Hint, hint...I'm hoping to get my wife to take some shots today. I flew my Stella this am without wind, and it is fantastic. What a great plane! I'm still "chicken" to hit full throttle on mine. There's really no need.

Stuart, thanks for the compliment. Also, go with the lightest film, Solite or the stuff Bill carries. It's not that difficult to work with and the weight savings is pretty significant. If you use Ultracoat, make sure it's Ultracoat Lite. The heavier stuff can also crunch an airframe if you overshrink it. (Don't ask how I know)
-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Nov 07, 2004, 11:30 AM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Scott is that a Stella? I saw a great Groove video from Scott Stoops. I assume that's you. The Groove had a scheme that looks just like that. I wish I could fly like that. Well done. Loved the KE loop
mexico is offline Find More Posts by mexico
Old Nov 07, 2004, 01:54 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexico
Scott is that a Stella? I saw a great Groove video from Scott Stoops. I assume that's you. The Groove had a scheme that looks just like that. I wish I could fly like that. Well done. Loved the KE loop
Yeah... I'm kind of boring that way. I tend to find a covering scheme that I like and just stick with it. My 3 Cap's are all the same scheme and now the Groove and Stella are the same. Thanks for the compliment. They're both incredible flying models.

Scott
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:04 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
I am not saying you are boring. I truly didn't know if it was a Stella or a Groove. I actually love the scheme you created.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:30 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
mexico, understood I actually am in a bit of a rut when it comes to covering. Thanks for the compliment. Have you decided to get a Stella yet? Good luck if you do!

Scott
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:37 PM
BOSS
New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Apr 2002
4,984 Posts
Awesome pic Scott!

I'm down in AZ right now, visiting my brother. Man, Great weather, great people, ect.. Cant wait to get home and setup my Stella for pattern. Ive learned so much down here in a couple of days... Now When I get home, I just hope the weather stays nice enough to fly...

Jon
j_z_123 is offline Find More Posts by j_z_123
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:43 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Jon - Glad to hear you are having a great trip. Some advice: if you want to fly stay in AZ....until April. It is windy every day in NJ, unless you fly at 7 AM like some maniac that will remain nameless. And we all know your clock doesn't have 7 AM on it. Have a safe trip home.

Len
Last edited by mexico; Nov 07, 2004 at 08:11 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2004, 07:56 PM
Scott Stoops
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Thanks Jon, safe trip home.

Scott
Old Nov 08, 2004, 11:04 AM
Truss-Loc Monkey
Colorado Springs, CO
Joined Feb 2002
4,368 Posts
Ted, Been doing some testing here with the 12T Feigao Long - I have machined up a mount for it and the GWS 400 gearbox. I was flying with a 12x6 and 6.3:1 gb - it draws about 22A static here at 6500' with 200w of power it goes straight up at about 30mph. I was just doing some testing with this motor in Stella as this setup is slated for my groove the new gearbox mount should statisfy the masses who have been ringing my bell for a stick mount solution in the G480.

Anyways even at 200w I was amazed at how well the motor handled the draw... the test flight in the G480 should prove a better indicator of the long term sucess.

-Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by twu01
Steve,

I think the 1020/15 is probably overkill for this size plane. I'm afraid I'm going to rip the fuse apart when it gets close to WOT. If I had unlimited $$$, I'd get a 1015/20 for the Stella...It's more of a 200 watt class motor, instead of a 300 watt class which I'm using as a 200....In fact, I'd be up for anybody who wants to trade me.

-Ted
Stevens AeroModel is offline Find More Posts by Stevens AeroModel
Old Nov 08, 2004, 12:39 PM
NJ
Joined Aug 2003
8,892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twu01
Steve,

I think the 1020/15 is probably overkill for this size plane. I'm afraid I'm going to rip the fuse apart when it gets close to WOT. If I had unlimited $$$, I'd get a 1015/20 for the Stella...It's more of a 200 watt class motor, instead of a 300 watt class which I'm using as a 200....In fact, I'd be up for anybody who wants to trade me.

-Ted

Ted - I was talking with Troy at Bishop Power Products today. He told me he has a few Lehner 1015's in stock, even though the website says they are out of stock. Give him a call if you are interested.

Len
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:47 PM
Norfolk Intl, Virginia, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,794 Posts
Bill,

I'm interested to see how things hold up with Ferrari-type power. Keep us posted.

Len,

I'm headed to Phoenix later this week so I may just drop by on Troy. I used to live by him a few years ago....

-Ted
Ted U is online now Find More Posts by Ted U
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:57 PM
Spring, Texas
Joined Feb 2004
1,234 Posts
Ted,
If you come through Houston, bring your Yak!
SRush99 is offline Find More Posts by SRush99
Old Nov 08, 2004, 07:00 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
A light pole attacked my Stella! I was flying in my favorite shopping lot, it's a great lot as it's new and they haven't put up any buildings yet. There are light poles on each end of the lot. I was making a circle behind one of the poles (so I thought) when all of a sudden whack!! I knew exactly what I did but the plane didn't vere off dip or anything. I fully expected to loose a control surface but it flew right in. I landed, checked for cracks, rips loose servos, something and the only thing found was on the bottom of the left wing tip, I had a small piece of covering missing.

Even though it sounded awful, it was a glancing blow but if you could have heard it you would have thought Uh Oh. After checking it out, I took off again with no other mishaps. I didn't get near that pole again.

How lucky is that!! That pole was 100 yards from me but it sounded awful. Not a crack anywhere. What a plane, do not try this at home....

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Nov 08, 2004, 09:24 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
The Steven's Curse strikes again!

On the second or third Stella flight at Sunday's fly-in, I took off, slow rolled inverted, and it just kept slowly rolling - right into the ground.

I call it the Steven's curse because my big Cap went in under similar circumstances at the last fun-fly. I thought the Cap got shot down by another flyer, but now I think it's my synthed TX. Pretty depressing to put in a couple nice airplanes in a month, and neither due to dumb thumbs.

Bummer
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Closed Thread