HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:33 PM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Stevens Aero Stella: Building Thread (part 2)

This is part 2 of the Stevens Aero Stella thread. Part 1 can be found here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269783

Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:56 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Grant,

Definitely go with C/A hinges. They're a bit more work, but they are the way to go. I did use five on each wing - five may be a little overkill, but Bill said do it, so I did it!

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 24, 2004, 06:16 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Grant,

I agree that the CA hinges work best.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Oct 24, 2004, 06:55 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
I thought the wood would be hard to get the hinges installed but the knife slid through like butter. The wing has the slots precut but the aerilons didn't and since you cut through the CA joint I thought it would be a little tough. Man was I wrong, I finished then in 20 minutes.

I'm glad I asked.

Grant
Parkflyer is offline Find More Posts by Parkflyer
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:53 PM
Inverted Electric Flyer
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2004
525 Posts
Pete, I am totally inspired by your covering job. Would you be insulted if I used the same pattern but changed the color??? I have really been thinking about a really cool design for my Stella and that is extremly awesome.
tmproff is offline Find More Posts by tmproff
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:25 PM
Around the World
Scottsville, KY
Joined Jun 2002
5,641 Posts
Love the tiger theme. Sign me up for thread two... My Stella's on the building board.
cadconversions is offline Find More Posts by cadconversions
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:26 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
Another question...
The instructions say to see plan sheet for installing the control horn on the ailerons but the plan sheet doesn't show where the control horn goes. There is no slot for it to insert into. Where does it go??

Grant
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:45 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
tmproff - Insulted? Heck, I'd be flattered. Stripe away!

Grant - Remember the A2 aileron sub-rib is made of three parts sandwiched together; two full length balsa pieces with a half length ply piece in between. The aileron horn slides into the front half of that sandwich after covering, and is then secured with a couple drops of thin C/A.

Pete
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:35 AM
Live to fly!
United States, NJ, Fair Lawn
Joined Nov 2002
3,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkflyer
Another question...
The instructions say to see plan sheet for installing the control horn on the ailerons but the plan sheet doesn't show where the control horn goes. There is no slot for it to insert into. Where does it go??

Grant
Grant, see the pictures in the beginning of part 1 of this thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=91
Doc
doc-e is offline Find More Posts by doc-e
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:45 AM
Inverted Electric Flyer
United States, TX, Humble
Joined Jan 2004
525 Posts
Well I contacted Bill this weekend and he said he temporairly ran out of Stella Kits and mine was sent out last Thursday. I should get it today or probably tomorrow. This weekend, I did have a unfortunate accident with my Groove. It was an overcast Sunday morning and I had my hat and sunglasses on (I am pretty sensitive to light). Well the Groove was doing its thing and the sun abruptly came out from behind the clouds and blinded me! I desperately looked for the plane but it hit a tree before I could locate it. Here's where things get interesting! Where I fly, a small river runs alongside. The Groove just barely hit a tree that overhung the river!! I was about 4 feet from crashing it straight into the water. I was very fortunate that it was a particulary soft tree and did very little damage. The plane was at idle and flew perfectly straight into some leaves. I did have to climb the tree over the water and retrieve the plane, but I'm happy that nothing was terribly damaged. I was planning on getting everything out of my Groove to put into the Stella this week anyways!
tmproff is offline Find More Posts by tmproff
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:45 PM
Joined Oct 2002
301 Posts
Rudder Servo

I am about 3/4 complete with my Stella build. I have noticed in the instructions and the posts in this thread there are 2 positions available for the rudder servo.

For the guys who have completed their build I would be interested in where you put your rudder servo and why? It appears the easy way out would be to use the mount at the bottom of the fuslage. Would using this option affect the CG? I will be using an AXI 2212-26 with a Apogee 1530 3S battery.

I appreciate all your valuable knowledge and experience.
cubsflyer is offline Find More Posts by cubsflyer
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:57 PM
wizard of OZ
N.S.W Australia
Joined Feb 2003
857 Posts
i have my rudder servo in the position infront of the canopy, runnin cables to the slots through two short tubes and out to the rudder. not that much extra effort and it helps the aesthetics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsflyer
I am about 3/4 complete with my Stella build. I have noticed in the instructions and the posts in this thread there are 2 positions available for the rudder servo.

For the guys who have completed their build I would be interested in where you put your rudder servo and why? It appears the easy way out would be to use the mount at the bottom of the fuslage. Would using this option affect the CG? I will be using an AXI 2212-26 with a Apogee 1530 3S battery.

I appreciate all your valuable knowledge and experience.
james_28 is offline Find More Posts by james_28
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:17 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
Yup, it all comes down to, do you want a quick and (real) easy install, or do you want to spend a little more time to make it look good. The internal set-up also keeps the dirt, water, grass, etc. out of your servo.

Mine's internally mounted - quite easy to do really.

Pete
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:43 PM
Richmond, VA
Joined Apr 2002
993 Posts
I'm an idiot sometimes.. I remember putting those parts together and wondering what they were for. Oh well I guess I'm too anal, if it isn't in print I can't figure it out.

Since the center part is shorter than the outer parts I guess it goes in the front, duh.

thanks,
Grant
Old Oct 25, 2004, 09:07 PM
LJH
Moths do not fly inverted
Greenwich CT.
Joined Sep 2000
4,191 Posts
Darn that Bill Stevens

Well....not really but guess what showed up at my door today....Yup, a Stella. I was very suprised, My brother ordered it for me for my birthday mid-day Thursday and it is here today. I was hoping I was going to get the Building/Guest room (the better half likes it better when I call it the guest/building room) cleaned up after my first scratch build of a Mini TOC. I was hoping to get my E-star Porter finished up before the Stella showed up, now what do I do . Once again Bill's kit looks awsome, looking forward to getting her in the air.

Cheers,
Jim
LJH is offline Find More Posts by LJH
Closed Thread