Closed Thread
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:10 PM
Fly a LiL' Lower Will Ya!
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Yippee!
SuperStar EP Maiden Flight - First time Pilot

Well this was the big day. The weather was perfect and the conditions right here in central Florida. I had never flown before (except with the simulator) and was quite excited.

Went out to the field about 9:00am. There were only 2 fellows there and I had never met either of them. One fellow, an older man offered to help me prefight and trim my plane. BUT, he was skeptical of an electric.

He powered her up and the plane took off great. He was very supprise at the power and handling of the SS EP.

At the suggestion of several of you in other threads, I went with just the stock set up in the power system. I have the Endo set up with gear box, but did not put it on. Will wait until later.

The one man took the plane off and then handed me the stick. I flew for about 4 minutes and then handed him the controls to land it with out power.

I together we flew about 6 flights today. Each was about 5 to 7 minutes in length. I am using both the stock battery (2100 mh NiCd) and a 3000 mh NiMH. This rotated out well. Using the triton charger each took about 30 minutes to re charge.

With each flight I took the stick more and more. Everyone at the field was very impressed with the power and handling of the electric. Most had not had any experience with them and I got more than one offer to help me fly today.

Now I do not know exactly what "SOLO" is, but the last 2 flights of the day, I took her off , flew and landed - WITHOUT assitance. We were not using a buddy box, just trading of with my radio.

All I can say is WOW! this hobby is great. All the credit to the "Solo" goes to FMS PC Sim (Flying Model Simulator Program). I logged about 20 hrs of flight time and touch-and-goes in FMS before my first attempt today.
mrm1 is offline Find More Posts by mrm1
Last edited by mrm1; Jun 16, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 06:18 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
Congratulations, I wish my first flights had been so successful
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:09 PM
Do I have to?!
Chanute Johnson, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2004
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingagain
Congratulations, I wish my first flights had been so successful
Yes, we all do!
catcher is offline Find More Posts by catcher
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:24 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Any opintions on Landing Gear

I will post more on my flight adventures as they become availble. I plan to fly again next weekend.

My 2 girls were so were so hooked today that we came home and ordered them each a foammy combo kit. They will fly with me next weekend.

I plan to spend this week setting up the Endo and gear box, but was wondering if any one had an opintion on landing gear. When I set the plane up with the Endo, I will use a 12x8 prop. This gets a little tight with the current wire landing gear set up.

I also purchased a set of BJ's light weight aluminum gear for electrics, 2.5 inch wheels and 1/8 inch axes. This will get the nose about 2 inches higher off the ground.

Does anyone have an opintion on the landing gear set up? One guy today at the field said to stay with the wire set up. But that would involve makeing a new set that is taller.

Also, how do you mount this set up? I have reinforced the fus of the SSEP from the inside. And I plan to use two smallish wood screws. My hope is to make this gear some what "break-away" if needed for a crash or heard landing.

To wire or not to wire

PS. Thanks to everyone at RC Groups who put up with my endless pre-flight questions. Most of my questions could have probably been answered by flight experience - But all who responded were very kind and patient. Truly, you helped make my first day out a reality.
Last edited by mrm1; Oct 24, 2004 at 09:27 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:37 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
I had a Mag meyhem/ gearbox setup on mine with an 11 inch prop and all I had to do was put bigger wheels on it
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:47 PM
Warbird crazy!
United States, CA, San Mateo
Joined Sep 2004
3,730 Posts
Congrats !!!!

That is great MRM1. To here that it flew so well in original trim is good news. This was with the aileron model and the as is tail skid? Check this review of the orig. SS EP http://www.masportaviator.com/ah.asp?ID=16&Index=8. I have three 7 cell 3300 packs and the supplied 2100. All but ready . Looking forward to more flight posts on your EP.

John and Christo
new2rc is offline Find More Posts by new2rc
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:13 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Congrats MRM1,

I love my Superstar EP. It is one tough bird. You wiil get a lot of enjoyment from it. Even though I have other planes now, I still enjoy flying mine! Here is a thread on the ss ep you may want to check if you have not already done so.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112961

Contained in the thread are some Endoplasma setups and how the prop size allowance was met. I am glad you had a great day with your Superstar and hope your girls will enjoy flying as much as you do! It is a great hobby, especially for us busy minds! Great way to escape!

You will not be able to run that Endo motor on the stock speed controller. Read the thread I have put in this post and you will find out all the dirt on the Endo.

I just built my first foamy and it flys great! Having a lot of fun outside the front door. Heres a link I did on the plane I have.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289582

I am over here on the east coast, if you need any help let me know.

John
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:18 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Yes it was the Aileron model, but I did the stearable tail wheel mod we were following in the other EP post (the one that had pics and connected the wheel to the rudder). This mod worked great for me.

new2rc, what are you using for a speed controll? did you up grade? Some say the ESC in the ep is a 30amp from Great planes, but the ESC I recieved with my SS is nowhere near the size and shape of the 30amp grt plns one. It is much bigger. That does not mean it is not 30 amps (I dont know what it is), it just does not look like the great planes.

I have an 8 cell GP3300, but am afraid to run it on the SS for fear of over amping the ESC. What do you think?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:24 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Thanks John, yea I have read the ESC posts and have been afraid to even try with the endo until I get a 50+ amp one.

I'm looking at one now to order.

What about the Castle Creations Griffen 40 or the GP Electrifly C-50. Would either one of these be enough (I read that Carlos does not care for the C-50 in this application)?

And do you have a take on the landing gear idea?
Last edited by mrm1; Oct 24, 2004 at 11:32 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
I will post a pick of the 30 amp stock esc. I assure you it is 30 amp. I have been received this one back from a hobbico technician who confirmed it was a 30 amp esc! Give me a sec to take a picture of it and get it posted.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
NOte in the midest of your post I edited my post above - please re read
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:34 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
Yea seems I remember your post about the hobbico discussion.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:47 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
OK,

Here ya go. The two photos show the front and back of the 30 amp ESC. This is the damaged stock ESC which was sent back to me along with a replacment ESC. The heatshrink was removed by the technician.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:47 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
would that caslte creations 40 be enough?
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:49 PM
North Central Florida
Joined Sep 2004
4,811 Posts
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...4&I=LXGTZ4&P=K
Closed Thread