HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:02 PM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
USA to Canada -- DELAYS !! Please read

Not sure if you are all aware of this but please read the enclosed story from Canada Post:

http://www.canadapost.ca/business/co....asp?prid=1026

To quote:

“Parcels coming into Canada are taking up to five weeks to clear Customs”, said Cal Hart, senior vice-president, Marketing and Product Management for Canada Post. “While we understand the need for security precautions, this situation is unacceptable for our business and for Canadians. We can’t deliver the product until it is cleared by Customs.”

I have had several customers (Canadian) contact me about where their order was. I did some research and found the above.

This may be useful to many.

Thanks,

Mike
frederm2002 is offline Find More Posts by frederm2002
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:58 PM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
You should post that on your website .

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:20 PM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
ofcourse.

I thought other vendors might be experiencing the same delays.

Thanks,

Mike
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:05 AM
Chilliwack, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
710 Posts
I read the article also,Canada Post should get on the ball and hire some extra people I put in an order to DeeTeeEnterprises for some heli parts on Oct 16th and received them on the 22nd and I paid regular ground postage.I think it depends on the size and weight of the package as to how much time it takes to arrive the heli parts came in a large bubble filled envelope
fourstarforty is offline Find More Posts by fourstarforty
Old Oct 25, 2004, 12:16 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,128 Posts
If you read the article, it's not Canada Post, but customs that is causing the delays. Probably doing some form of work to rule...
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:12 AM
Maniacal Super-Villian
Toronto Downtown, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
272 Posts
Pfft, Work to rule...
Yeah because we all know how hard Government employees work for for sooo little money.

I think the smaller stuff tends to get through a little quicker than larger boxes and such. I've had a motor arrive in less than 4 days, but I've also had stuff sit and rot in Customs for 4 or more weeks! Canada Customs has always been a joke and I think they're doing their level best to kill cross border shopping over the web. National security my butt...
Hank Scorpio is offline Find More Posts by Hank Scorpio
Last edited by Hank Scorpio; Oct 26, 2004 at 04:14 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:09 AM
Texas Ranger
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Aug 2004
2,524 Posts
Naw, it's totally random. I've had a small package take 5 weeks after shipping date to get here, and a larger package get here in 5 days. Just the luck of the draw.
Neil Walker is offline Find More Posts by Neil Walker
Old Oct 26, 2004, 02:44 PM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
from the article the biggest bottleneck is Vancouver. So it depends on where the packages cross the border.

all west coast package (departure point) to Canada will hit BC. That is where, I think, the biggest delay is.

Since we are located in the NorthWest I know everyone of my Canadian packages go through BC.

I hope they get through them soon. I guess there is always UPS LOL..

Mike
Old Oct 26, 2004, 04:27 PM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,453 Posts
Ups !11!$%&@#(!
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Oct 26, 2004, 06:01 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2003
468 Posts
Yeah, avoid UPS, unless money is no object. There ARE very reasonable ways to ship via UPS, but the selling company has to make certain special arrangements with UPS...most small companies don't bother, but some do, and then it's pretty much the cheapest way to go. I deal with some companies that do make the arrangements, and all taxes and brokerage fees are included in the UPS fee and it's a REALLY good deal (actually, I can't figure it out because the total cost is less than the 15% taxes I'd have to pay here for stuff from the U.S.).

I think the backlog is happening mainly because of increased shopping due to the relative increase in the Cdn$. And Canadians in general are really just starting to internet shop, far behind Americans percentage-wise. CCRA just hasn't kept up.

"Canada Customs has always been a joke and I think they're doing their level best to kill cross border shopping over the web."

Yeah, I have to wonder about that too. I've had Cdn$20 packages get the 15% taxes and $5 fee added to them lately, when they're supposed to be exempt. Just try getting the money back...they don't refund the $5 regardless, so small shipments can have a high overhead (with the shipping fee) if you're unlucky.
CraigF is offline Find More Posts by CraigF
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:18 AM
Maniacal Super-Villian
Toronto Downtown, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
272 Posts
Got my Batts in 4 days. Nice.
Hank Scorpio is offline Find More Posts by Hank Scorpio
Old Nov 10, 2004, 07:18 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,128 Posts
Customs seems to be back to normal. Had a package arrive from Seattle using USPS EMS in four days.
Old Nov 10, 2004, 08:31 AM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
EMS is handled by, I think, Fedex. So that may not be the case

Mike
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:05 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,128 Posts
EMS is handled by USPS in the states and Purolator in Canada. It still has to go through Canada Customs...
Old Nov 10, 2004, 12:44 PM
CheapBatteryPacks.com
Beaverton, OR
Joined Dec 2002
1,212 Posts
That is great that it is cleared/clearing up. Although I would think priority services would go through customs first.

I have not noticed my other Canada customers having problems lately so maybe it is cleared up.

Mike