HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:43 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Tips on flying Large four engine Bomber needed

Hi all,
I am currently constructing a Four engine Bomber, any tips on flying multi engine planes. Instruction will be given by the LMA but any tips before i attend any lessons would help.
Happy Lnadings
Phil
Phil Parmiter is offline Find More Posts by Phil Parmiter
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2004, 11:34 AM
harwich essex
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
be on first name terms with your bank manager is about the only tip i can give you
bluescoobydoo is offline Find More Posts by bluescoobydoo
Old Oct 29, 2004, 04:06 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescoobydoo
be on first name terms with your bank manager is about the only tip i can give you
Thanks for the Advice Scooby, Ill keep you posted on how i get on (With seeing the Bank Manager that is )
Phil
Old Nov 02, 2004, 04:58 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Goodies on thier way

Well Scooby,
The bank manager has been good to me and four new ASP 91 four stroke engines now sit on my bench, the build is progressing slowly.... Visit www.chesilmfc.co.uk and visit the Sunderland construction pages to see how i am geting on.. Steve Holland is going to give me a test on 13th Nov lets hope i am up to it hey...
Happy Landings
Phil
Old Nov 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
nice!

How did it go on the 13th? any more progress on the model? i'd LOVE to see this baby fly.. I love both Catalina's and Sunderlands.. dont see enough of them these days. Keep us posted!

/netsurfer
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Nov 25, 2004, 04:37 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Sunderland

Hi Netsurfer,
Unfortunattly Steve Holland couldnt amke it to RAF Wroughton on the 13th of November, but the large model association were there in force. I approcahed thier safety officer Mr Tony Hooper who took me for my LMA flight exam which i passed. He also did the first construction inspection of the Sunderland. Not much to see as I was only 3 weeks into construction.

As you can see the bare bones of the plane in the musuem awaiting inspection, the second pic is of the engine nicalle consrtuction. I hope to have the plane completed in January 2005 and up and flying asap for the show season.
Happy landings
Phil
Old Nov 25, 2004, 06:33 PM
under a rock
Joined Mar 2004
182 Posts
Make sure your engines are positivley bullett proof with no tendancy to quit under any circumstanses. A engine out is no fun, espically on a model that has taken countless hours to build.
Enriki is offline Find More Posts by Enriki
Last edited by Enriki; Nov 25, 2004 at 06:37 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:19 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parmiter
Hi all,
I am currently constructing a Four engine Bomber, any tips on flying multi engine planes. Instruction will be given by the LMA but any tips before i attend any lessons would help.
Happy Lnadings
Phil
Some pretty good multi-engine info at http://www.rcwarbirds.com/techniguespage.htm
the-plumber is offline Find More Posts by the-plumber
Old Nov 25, 2004, 07:21 PM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
ignore
Old Nov 25, 2004, 08:17 PM
Northern Ireland, UK
Joined May 2004
189 Posts
Congratulations on passing Phil!

I'll be looking forward to maybe getting some video footage of Wroughton, as yet I have not seen any online.

Pete
netsurfer is offline Find More Posts by netsurfer
Old Nov 26, 2004, 02:48 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
thanks the-plumber
Some good and usefull information on the link you provided. The main one I took from the pages was DONT fly twins. Oh well in for a penny as they say.
Netsurfer
there are some photos from Wroughton on my web site
www.chesilmfc.co.uk (in the Gallery) which i put on for you.
Happy Landings Guys
Phil
Quote i heard today ( A problem shared, is a rumour started)
Old Nov 27, 2004, 09:07 AM
the-plumber
Joined Feb 2003
1,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parmiter
The main one I took from the pages was DONT fly twins.
Noted that, and me with two Ziroli twins waiting their shot at the building table . . .
<g>
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:09 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
construction update

Hi guys,
Well after working like a maniac all week in the evenings this is how far i got by Saterday pm
Still only half way there but lookiing better all the time
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:27 PM
Bridport, Dorset UK
Joined Oct 2004
14 Posts
Sunderland MK III

One photo to give you some scale
Old Nov 27, 2004, 12:45 PM
dusty bible = dirty life
Oklahoma City OK USA Where fakts still exist even if they are ignored
Joined Aug 2000
2,774 Posts
Go over to RC Universe and look up a guy by the name of Twinman, he has bunches of experiance and info on multi engine flying.

My two years of experiance with a twin star indicated as stated above each engine must reliably idle and go to full throttle... DO NOT TRY to sync any of the engine to the otherones. A 500 rpm diff will not affect directional control. Much better than the engine that goes lean and quits because it was set lean to match the engine next to it.

Do not attempt a glide at idle! If you have a good reliable slow idle, then at idle in flight will result in the props acting as airbrakes. Keep at least 1/4 throttle till just before you touch down.

If you loose an engine GET THE NOSE DOWN, keep the airspeed up! Do not attempt to continue climbing. Re trim for level flight and let the airplane accellerate as much as the remaining engines can go, then try a very shallow coordinated turn back for a landing.
Majortomski is offline Find More Posts by Majortomski