HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:52 AM
Joined Aug 2004
337 Posts
Brushless -to fuse or not to fuse....that is the Q

What is the norm for putting a fuse link in a brushless / BEC esc system? Obviously not before the ESC I guess or you lose radio too in event of blow.
How tolerant are modern ESCs of a stalled motor.....
which of the 3 motor wires should the fuse go in -or does it not matter ? PS still looking for a bit more comment on my other posting (Estarter on typhoon micro 5.....)- and what does this "idle 8600" stat mean ????
flybyday is offline Find More Posts by flybyday
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:47 PM
Detroit Rocks
Motor City. USA
Joined Dec 2002
187 Posts
I would not put any fuses in the motor legs beacuse brushless motors are 3-phase ac and if one leg to the motor is opened the motor will single phase and will cause the motor to overheat and it will distroy the controller. I see this happen at work when a fuse blow the three phase motor will stop and take the other two fuses out or trip the motor heaters. If a person really wanted to fuse the motor system, I would run a ubec to power the reciever from the battery and install a fuse in one of the battery leads going to the controller.
Cuda is offline Find More Posts by Cuda