HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:05 AM
Master of the figure 9
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
Does anybody know how to kill hornets?

I was going to cut into a wall, to start a rewiring project at my house, when I heard the wall buzzing. So I go out side and look and I can see Hornets going in and out of a tiny hole where the first and second story meet. Five hours ago I shot half a can of hornet and wasp killer into the hole. Then I knocked about a two inch hole through the drywall on the inside and sprayed the other half of the can into the hole. About a half an hour later, I poked a broomstick into the hole, and sprayed another can of killer into the hole. At this point there are dead hornet everywhere but, the wall is still buzzing. Any suggestions?
Old Man is offline Find More Posts by Old Man
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:09 AM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
I suggest you probably call pest control. Hornets are not the kind of insects to mess with. Hornet sting is really painful.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:13 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
More spray. One can ain't enough.
I had them in my hangar a few weeks ago, it took two cans, but they did not come back.
Had some serious aerial fighting with them, the ones that escaped the nest and got airborne, I had to shoot them down one by one. That stuff stains concrete, by the way.
But they are gone, for good.
And save those nozzles off the cans, if you put them on shaving cream, you can shoot that stuff 25 feet!
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:13 AM
Santo, Tx.
Joined Aug 2003
134 Posts
One other thing, spray them after dark, that way you can catch them all on the nest.
BTW- they aren't honey bees, are they?
Blazer is offline Find More Posts by Blazer
Last edited by Blazer; Oct 24, 2004 at 01:15 AM. Reason: misspelling
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:20 AM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
I guess the Africanized bee removal method wont work, throwing a can of carb cleaner under it and shooting it with a shotgun. My uncle is a professional exterminator, he nearly got killed trying to get bees out of a house, so do be careful. I dont know how to get rid of them without damaging or blowing something up, maybe you could get a powerfull shop vac and suck em out? I dont think just plugging the holes and trying to starve em will work, bugs will live for days under water with no food or air, they could be in there for months.
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:32 AM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
I had a problem with wasps in my wall last year, I tried the poke a hole in the dry wall and spray a can of killer method and it did not work. I ended up waiting til the evening time when their activity is low and pulled the sheet of paneling off with my wife standing ready with a couple cans of wasp killer. They came out after me but my wife spayed them (and me). I ended up with no stings and a bunch of dead bugs. The hive was bigger than I expected and due to the insulation and blocking in the wall the poke a hole in the wall method was destined to fail
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:56 AM
aka: Dances with Buzzards
TX
Joined Jun 2002
454 Posts
Pest Control companies will not do any bee/hornet removal.... if you can't get them with self-applied spray you may need to seek a company that specializes in bee removal though they tend to be hard to find and very expensive.
ICTHRMLS is offline Find More Posts by ICTHRMLS
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:58 AM
Heli Bouncer
At the Discount Clambake
Joined Feb 2001
3,931 Posts
The ingredients in bug spray, (Raid, Black Flag, etc.) are not the most benign of chemicals. So be very careful about how much you use and the amount of overspray.
Looooeeee! is offline Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:15 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
I just got home from church and the is about 50 hornets in my laundry room. I set off another bug bomb and I am going out to get more spray now. We bought one of the new Dyson vacume cleaners several weeks ago. I think per CAFplanekid I will try to suck them out. I was going to use my shop vac but I am afraid that if they live throught the experience they will attack when I go to empty it. Old Lady is not real keen on using her new vacume for this but at least I will be able to see if they are still alive after I sweep them up.

I am still open to suggestions. I have for kids and no way to do laundry right now!

Thanks to all
David
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:29 PM
TRP
United States, CA, Morgan Hill
Joined Jun 2002
3,688 Posts
Indiana... yeah - you've got R19 in the exterior walls Right?

Using fire is out. Damn...

All kidding aside. If you are using two + cans in the wall - be careful. Where is you hot water heater in relation to this plume of toxic fog? Is your dryer gas or electric?

Be careful not to let the fumes build up too much for fear of ignition or gassing your self out.

Cover the holes in the wall with plastic bags. Maybe poke holes high up in the wall and spray some spray in. Move to a new section - repeat.

Simply make a grid around where you think the nest is - poke a hole - spray. Poke a hole spray.

In the end:

After a while - get your wall board cutter and connect the outer dots. Remove the section of wall board. locate a hand mirror, and see what'cha got goin back there.

Let us know what happens!

TRP
TRP is offline Find More Posts by TRP
Old Oct 24, 2004, 12:49 PM
Lagopus lagopus
Houston Hobby, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICTHRMLS
Pest Control companies will not do any bee/hornet removal.... if you can't get them with self-applied spray you may need to seek a company that specializes in bee removal though they tend to be hard to find and very expensive.

I never knew that. Why don't they do that? I mean killing hornets is no different from cockroaches or termites. Well, get yourself a bunch of hornet killers and spray them.
WillowPtarmigan is offline Find More Posts by WillowPtarmigan
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:44 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Why?

My guess is that you don't have to worry about the effects of a mass of angry termite or cockroach stings.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:12 PM
Master of the figure 9
Joined May 2004
2,677 Posts
Hornet update

Sprayed hole in drywall with two more cans of killer. Waited 1/2 hour and took bagless vacume to the hole in the wall. So far we have a five gallon bucket half full of dead hornets and nest!!! Hole in drywall is now about six inches in diameter. We must have hit a section that was not effected by killer. Live hornets started coming from hole. Sprayed in two more cans of killer and letting it soak for awhile. So much for quick wiring and flying tonight!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:18 PM
De-Brushed user
Midland, Tx / W. Lafayette, Ind.
Joined Dec 2002
2,949 Posts
Geeze, Im glad you found out about them before tearing open the wall! So does the vac seem to be working? Please post a pic too!
Jonathan
CAFplanekid is offline Find More Posts by CAFplanekid
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:22 PM
Gearhead gone Flyin'!
Baytown, Texas, United States
Joined Aug 2004
149 Posts
I have a Mosquito Fogger (live in the deep South, and near the coast, so them little buggers are NASTY down here), and have used it to evacuate Hornets from my garage a number of times. When I find a hole they are going in and out of, from the OUTSIDE of the garage that is, I go to the INSIDE of the garage and find a location near the hole outside. Then, I setup the fogger into a new hole in the garage and literally smoke them out. The one's that refuse to leave and stay behind die from the toxins in the fogger, and just to be doubly safe, I spray hornet killer (I prefer Bengal, stuff works the best out of ALL of them I have found) all around the area that I can reach, then seal both holes with expanding foam. After about a week, anyone left alive in there will surely die, and I can either remove the foam, and clean the area, or leave it as is, and never worry about that spot again. I am sure there are other better methods (some listed above sound GREAT! And I may have to try some myself!), but this is what has worked best for me. Just make sure you have the area sealed off well where the fogger is, cause they will come out in a raging mob, and are VERY upset. Will sting anything they come in contact with at that point!

Good luck on your upcoming battle and BEE sure to keep yourself guarded against stings!

Take care,
~MyDeSoto~
mocarz@mocarz.com
http://www.mocarz.com - Home of the R/C Flyer Shirts!
MyDeSoto is offline Find More Posts by MyDeSoto