SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:08 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,963 Posts
Why can't we all just get along?

The short answer is we can!
We had our Trick or Treat Fly-In today. The planes there ran the gamut of size and power. We has gas powered IMAA sized planes up to 30% scale, glow 60 sized warbirds, glow 40 sized trainers and sport ships. Electrics ranged from a 10 1/2 pound 80 inch Citabria to an E3D and Freedom 3D, to a couple of Twinjets, to a Projeti and a HyperWing and more.
The class of the fly-in though, was David Blum's (DBLUM) collection of small electric powered scratch built planes. His planes were absolutely beautiful, true works of art and they flew extremely well on this windy day. He brought an Aviat A1-B Husky float plane, a Tsunami racer, a Cessna 182, a T-38 Talon. There are many photos of his handiwork on this site as I discovered this evening. I'd consider him a master builder. It's well worth your time to do a search for his threads and see for yourself the high quality planes he builds.
But, to get back to the topic of the title of this thread. It was a great day. This diverse mix of aircraft engendered absolutely no problems. They shared the airspace easily with just the application of a little common sense and courtesy. I heard no snide remarks about electrics, and no nasty coments about noisy gassers or greasy slimers. There was a good bit of interest shown in the electrics. All in all, it was a great day to be associated with this wonderful hobby. Dave Chewning Sr.
davecee is online now Find More Posts by davecee
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:14 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
smelly gassers
rcaddition is offline Find More Posts by rcaddition
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:18 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcaddition
smelly gassers
Actually, that would describe me lately. I've been on a diet, and I've lost about 18 pounds which is good, but the bad part is that i've been eating lots more vegatables,and you know what that means. Where can I buy some Beano?
Dave Chewning Sr.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:23 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
Tmi
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:26 PM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
(TMO) thats"too much information".
actually I think its all just human nature. a little competition is good. And they're both like night and day. you either like gas or you like electric. though I know some dable in both, though I've never seen the beasts.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:44 PM
Joined Oct 2004
13 Posts
I saw you Dave Chenwing. Dave c. that was you in the red shirt and hat right? But you guys where wrapping up. That was a sweet Citabria according to Dave B.'s that was yours. I thought for sure that was a gaser. It flies sweet!!!! I think I annoyed the heck out of Dave Blum about his 182. That plane just freaked me out. That bird on floats just scared me the detail was great. Every thing down to paddles on the floats.

Hey Dave C. is that feild always open to the public to watch or was that just today. If it's always can you pm me with a schedule of events. I heard from one guy that a Jet fly in was last weekend.

Oh by the way who's Mustang was that had a yellow nose??

You said they shared the airspace well I thought so too but other than airshows this was my first visit to a feild for R/C. I was getting a little nervous when that guy took off in the rather large yellow plane I thought Dave B.'s little cessna was gonna get eatin up. I would have cried for him on that one

His attention to detail is so meticulous. I also meant to ask who's large plane was that the yellow one. I was curious if there was any damage when he landed Dave B. and I where chatting about what would be a good bird for me and all of the sudden the sound of wheels and wing tip or wheels and prop hitting the ground.
Pilot 2 Be is offline Find More Posts by Pilot 2 Be
Last edited by Pilot 2 Be; Oct 23, 2004 at 08:50 PM.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:15 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,963 Posts
Nexy time you come to the field ask around for me. Thanks for the compliment on the Citabria, it does fly "sweet", but I just can't seem to grease the landing.
The field is open to spectators any time there is anyone flying. Visitors are welcome and we have a bunch of nice guys in the club, don't be afraid to initiate a conversation. Our next scheduled event won't be until Spring, but there's usually some one flying on Saturdays and Sundays when the weather is good.
We haven't had a jet fly-in, but Robert Vess of Raleigh has flown his turbine powered Kingcat here. It was awesome.
The Mustang belongs to a clubmate.
The Yellow T-34 belongs to a visiting pilot, and he broke the nose on that landing.
David Blum seems to be an open and friendly guy. Like most of us he probably likes it when someone shows an interest in his plane.
Dave Chewning Sr.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:31 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,037 Posts
Quote:
actually I think its all just human nature. a little competition is good. And they're both like night and day. you either like gas or you like electric. though I know some dable in both, though I've never seen the beasts.
I disagree. Why does a person have to "either like gas or like electric"? That makes no sense whatsoever. My hangar is quite a diverse mix of glow and electric (no gas planes, just glow). I had 6 airplanes at that fly-in today, 4 electric and two glow. I flew 5 of the 6; the 6th is the Multiplex Cargo and it was a bit windy so I didn't fly it. The only reason I brought it was to drop candy but there were no kids there... kinda a small turnout overall but we had a blast.

The answer is a resounding yes - we CAN get along. Why does their have to be predjudice in a hobby? Don't we have enough of that in the world already? I don't look down my nose at electrics, and I can't understand why some - and I stress some - electric pilots think us glow fliers have leprosy or something. And I do realize glow/gas fliers aren't innocent as I know of a few who think electrics aren't "real planes" or are for pilots who "aren't serious about the hobby".

Model airplanes has to be the best hobby in the world as it's something for everyone. I don't like large-scale aerobatic gas planes, but I don't have anything against them or the pilots that fly them.

But, I digress. I think the highlight of the day was when Davecee and I flew our TwinJets together - like we most always do - and he intentionally (yes, intentionally) flew into me. I recovered from a pretty ugly spin that was kinda low and kept flying. Hilarious! I did end up breaking a prop and ripping a motor out of the nacelle during a failed attempt at a slide -n- go!
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:47 PM
Joined Oct 2004
13 Posts
That T-34 didn't sound real good when it hit. Dave and I looked up and grimace when that bird hit. David was a cool guy I just walked up and I am a shy guy especially when I don't know a lot about something a little harder to strike up a conversation when you don't know what your talking about. I am not sure what time I got there but I talked to Dave Blum for quite a bit about his Cessna 182. He flew for a bit and we chatted for a bit and he began to pack up. You at that time seemed very focused and then began to taxi out for departure. I figured not a good time to strike up a conversation lol . I had to leave about that time and you began packing up the decorations around the tent and P.A. Dave B. told me that your planes where the ones just to the right of him.(If your facing the runway right infront of the hot dog stand.) I know what its like to be in an event like that. I run my R/C trucks in the local Monster Jam truck shows in Raleigh and Greensboro. I just figured if I had come up early you guys would have time to chat more. I really like the way the P-51 flys that was the first R/C Mustang I had ever seen fly it was sweet!! I think I saw your landing you just about scrapped the left wing on the ground but not bad. Hey at least it didn't crunch like the T-34 did. I don't know much about R/C flight but that was not the typical landing sound from that T-34. I hope it doesn't cost him much! Do you guys have a trainer and buddy box system I could maybe get a chance to check out? I have only flown on buddy box once and that was at a airshow and it wasn't really a relaxed atmosphere. I also own the SuperStar Ep I bought at HobbyMasters in Raleigh. My first flight I was alone and did good. Second was too windy for my ability and I basicly busted the motor and dented up the front real good.

Also what does that Citabria have under the hood er.....cowling . I expected to hear a gas sound and when it was electric I was shocked.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:54 PM
Joined Oct 2004
13 Posts
Hey Mike I think I saw you out there someone told you to check out Dave Blum's Husky on floats. You where the light haired guy in the Tan Tarheel R/C flyer shirt with "Mike" on the left side riight?
Old Oct 23, 2004, 10:01 PM
Aerobatic Extremist
United States of America For Which We Stand!
Joined Jan 2004
1,346 Posts
Quote:

Well shoot, here I thought I liked all of my airplanes whether they were gas, or electric, or glow. I guess I've had this thing all wrong for the last 21 years.
SharksTooth is offline Find More Posts by SharksTooth
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:30 AM
lone wolf
(us military)
Joined Mar 2004
787 Posts
told you there were some of you around
Old Oct 24, 2004, 07:10 AM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
I fly and like both. And both clubs I belong to fly both which is nice.
Although I do know more about electric flight than glow. Each has
advantages/disadvantages.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:27 PM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot 2 Be
Hey Mike I think I saw you out there someone told you to check out Dave Blum's Husky on floats. You where the light haired guy in the Tan Tarheel R/C flyer shirt with "Mike" on the left side riight?
I was there, yes, but I was the guy in the yellow jacket and the white QuakeCon 2003 shirt. I had a blue tent and flew the poor, beat-up gray A-10.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:57 PM
United States, IL, Bartlett
Joined Jun 2002
450 Posts
Guys such as myself often bring both an electric and a glow model to the field. I only live 5 minutes from my field so I get great use out of my glow stuff, and when I'm bored and dont feel like driving anywhere, I pop out in the backyard and toss up one my my electrics. Why do some have to choose between the two. I would think small engines of any power source are what most guys like to play with.
stamper is offline Find More Posts by stamper