SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:16 PM
Certified cat herder
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
HL He-162 Salamander Power System Options

My recient success with my GWS A-10 has gotten me somewhat hooked on EDF's. I was looking around my shop today, and I *think* I have all the gear I would need to put together a Hobby-Lobby He-162.

I have a himaxx 2015-4100 brushless motor that I have been using in my Ultimate (don't get me started on that piece of junk ). I have a 10 amp brushless ESC, and a 1100ma 3s1p lipo that I could run up to 11 amps. Could I use this gear with a Wemotec Micro fan in the HL He-162? Or will the micro fan, motor combo require more than 10 amps to operate?

FYI, my A-10 thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282707

Thanks!
--C. Alan
C. Alan is offline Find More Posts by C. Alan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:30 PM
ooooh yeah
Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Joined May 2004
1,593 Posts
Going by what other people have used the 2015-4100 and micro fan on 3s lipoly is a good steup, definately better than stock. Sorry I can't help you on the amp issue but it should still work pretty well at 10amps (hey a Salamander was not ment to go mach2 anyway right? lol)
Frenche is offline Find More Posts by Frenche
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:13 PM
Certified cat herder
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I get the feeling that I am going to be hard pressed to keep the power requirements under 10 amps. I may have to get a new battery and esc to make it work.
--C. Alan
Old Oct 25, 2004, 07:29 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
You should be fine with that setup in the Salamander. Run it up on the bench to test of course.

As for the plane, it flies well (scale, not fast) on about 70W in my config (Astro 010 8t, Microfan, 3s TP1320). It will hold altitude at half throttle, and in fact glides very nicely with the power off and full up trim; I have lights on mine, and quite enjoy taking it a long way up around dusk, hunting for lift for a bit, and then shooting touch and goes until they kick me out of the park.

The airframe was designed to fly (albeit marginally) at around 20oz; at 14 or so it's a real floater. Note that it will take quite a lot of runway to get it off the ground; the wing has little or no incidence, and the gear is relatively far aft of the CG, so hold the nose down, let it scoot along until it gets floaty, then give it a hair of up to pull the nose off the ground. Don't give it a fistful of elevator, or it will pop up and stall - though with the amount of power you will have, it will probably just keep pulling. The stock CG location is good, if a little conservative. Make sure you check that you have enough noseweight, you might want the elvator servo a long way forward...

All in all, it's a really relaxing flier.

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Oct 31, 2004, 05:23 PM
Cant fly enough
USA, CA, Berkeley
Joined Dec 2003
1,817 Posts
I agree that the Salamander is a real nice flier. Just keep it light. I am using the same set-up as Dr. Ziplok with an 8 amp esc so I would think your 10 amp should do fine if you do not get carried away.

The wing root could probably do with a bit of reinforcing. The internal foam spar just does not cut it. One failed in flight (Hobby Lobby gratiously replaced it), the other failed on landing when I got the wing tip on a large rock (the thing really floats!). I fixed that by adding a wooden spar parallel to the foam spar. So far so good!

The plan will loop and roll!

Enjoy

Greg

PS: Mike, when are we going to go flying?
Greg Beshouri is offline Find More Posts by Greg Beshouri
Old Oct 31, 2004, 11:11 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Greg,

When my schedule *'s less! I actually have a couple of planes that can reasonably be flown at Bushrod now... Everything else is a bit space-hungry. 8)

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Nov 05, 2004, 11:31 AM
Certified cat herder
Joined Aug 2004
260 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback. I picked up a used salamander with the Astro fan setup, and I will be using a 3s1p 1100 battery pack rated at 10c for power. It arrived today, and I hope to get it flying tomorrow. My field has a long, but somewhat rough runway.

It came with a brushless speed control that I have not been able to identify. I may post a picture of it over on power systems.
--C. Alan