HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2004, 01:57 PM
Bonn/Germany - Fort Lauderdale/FL.
Joined Oct 2004
288 Posts
Where to fly in south florida

hello to all

i am new to the board
i fly in bonn/germany club rheidt and i want fly in fort lauderdale FL. Makhampark where i wanna be a member in the next days.

if somebody knows other places on south floridas east coast to fly let me know.
modding pics and instruction will come soon !!

musclecar@gmx.net

greetings
easystern
Easystern is offline Find More Posts by Easystern
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2004, 06:31 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Miami Lakes, Florida, USA
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Markham Park is owned by Broward County. Aside from an AMA card or proof of equivalent insurance, you don't need a membership to fly there.

Tell me what sort of models you fly and I'll see if I can help you.
Miami Mike is offline Find More Posts by Miami Mike
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:25 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
The club I belong to, the Aero Modelers of Perrine is always looking for members... http://www.amps-rc.com/
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:31 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
AMPS is a good group. I've been to the flying site off of Krome Avenue and I've met the president. However, it's an extremely long drive for me in North Miami and would be much longer for Easystern in Fort Lauderdale.
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:39 PM
K4UAV
Miami, FL
Joined Jul 2003
1,749 Posts
I hear ya Mike, sometimes, depending on the time of day, it is faster for me to go to Markham Park and I live in Kendale (near the turnpike). Most often I just fly parkflyers at the soccer fields at Miami Dade Community College or on 127th Ave and Kendale Drive.
dalbert02 is offline Find More Posts by dalbert02
Old Oct 23, 2004, 08:45 PM
orlando fl
Joined Oct 2000
5,713 Posts
not exactly south, but central florida has RC world, and RCACF. I am a member of RCACF, a very nice field with a 700ft paved runway. a good number of E fliers (I fly mostly E jets). If you decide to go the disney it is about 30-45 min away. About 3.5-4 hrs from Ft laud.
dave morris is offline Find More Posts by dave morris
Old Oct 23, 2004, 09:33 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
The grand prize in South Florida would be the Dade County landfill just west of Blackpoint Park & Marina. You can see it to the east while driving the Turnpike extension. East winds are most common here and the eastern slope of that landfill is tall, steep, and grassy, and it faces the ocean where incoming air ought to be smooth, stable and non-turbulent. That hill could be the best slope soaring site on the east coast of the USA if someone could get permission to fly r/c gliders there.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2004
288 Posts
Thanks to all or the info :-)

Miami Mike....
i am new to flying model planes, i fly two easystars (foamies) with 480bb elektric power on 8 or 10 kan's.

do i nead an insurance for markham park ? how much would that be ?
thanks for your help
Michael
easystern
Old Oct 24, 2004, 03:27 PM
Pompano Hill Flyers
Joined Mar 2003
8,484 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easystern
Thanks to all or the info :-)
Any time! If you decide to get into gliders then we'll probably meet each other eventually. I know that both full-scale and r/c model gliders are big in Germany.
Quote:
do i nead an insurance for markham park ?
Yes. They have a frequency board at the flying field and you'll have to insert your AMA card into the slot for your channel before you turn on your radio.

If you're using radio equipment that you brought over from Germany, that could get a little tricky because they won't like you using a frequency not allowed in the USA.
Quote:
how much would that be ?
It's $58. Here's the site to get an application:

http://modelaircraft.org/membership_applications.asp

If you print it out and fax it along with your credit card number, you can get a temporary authorization right away. I've seen people get by at Markham Park by folding up and stuffing those authorizations into the frequency board slots!
Old Oct 25, 2004, 01:56 AM
Joined Oct 2004
288 Posts
Miami Mike......

thank you very much for the help and info, i will be at the park in the next days :-).
yesterday i ordered a eclipse 7 pcm spectre module and receiver for $260 :-) incl shipping from tower hobbys,hope that was a good choise.???

(following items will ship from Champaign, Illinois
Estimated Arrival Date: Between 10/29/04 - 11/02/04
LXGPH6 Hitec Eclipse 7-Channel Q-PCM w/Rx Only In stock, shipping 1 $277.99
PC7125 $25 Promotional Discount In stock, shipping 1 $25.00- )

in germany i have and older multiplex combi 80 on 35mhz band and i know 35 mhz is not alowed in the states and the 72 not in germany,but for the eclipse is a 35mhz transmitter modul available in germany and i can change it and use the radio here and there.:-)
see you at markhampark
michael
easystern