HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:37 PM
Just one more plane!
Port Saint Lucie, Florida, United States
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Edge 540 by Fancy Foam Models w/Pics

Well here it is,

I was asked to put some photos and info on the Edge 540 by fancy foam models in the threads. So, here it is. This is my first foam model. I wanted to get it to do some 3D practice.

Setup

Motor - Himaxx 2015-4100
Gearing - 6.6:1
Gearbox - MPI Aluminum box w/ heatsink
Prop - 11x4.7 APC SF
Battery - 3 cell LiPo 11.1v 1320mah TP
Receiver - Hitec Electron 6
Servos - 4 HS-55, 1 elev., 1 rudder, 2 aileron
ESC - Castle Creations 25 amp
Test - 10.2V, 10.8 amps, 111 watts, RPM will test later.
AUW - 13.0529 oz. / 406 grams

Photo 1 shows the condition of the package.
Photo 2 shows the contents and how they were packed.
Photo 3 shows what was in the box.
photo 4 shows the care taken with the carbon fiber.
JWarren is offline Find More Posts by JWarren
Last edited by iwadmin; Oct 22, 2004 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Just adding info.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:44 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Photo 5 shows all the hardware.
Photo 6 shows the small parts labeled
Photo 7 shows the illistrated manual.
Photo 8 shows the underside of the plane.

I was not able to take any construction photos sence my camera was taken by my girlfriend to do baby pics . I will come back with some construction photos on the next one.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:48 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Photo 9 shows the bottom of the tail section.
Photo 10 shows the top side of the tail section.
Photo 11 shows the belly of the entire plane.
Photo 12 shows the top of the entire plane.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:53 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Photo 13 shows the motor mount.
Photo 14 shows wider shot of the planes nose.
Photo 15 shows aileron servo and control horn.
Photo 16 shows both aileron servos and how I routed the antenna.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:59 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Photo 17 shows the bottom of the tail section and the Nyrod.
Photo 18 shows another view of the motor and prop.
Photo 19 shows me getting ready for maiden (top).
Photo 20 shows the same (bottom).
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:06 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Photo 21 shows the Edge after hand launch and a roll to boot.
Photo 22 shows me retrieving the plane after a sucessfull landing in the high grass field across the street.

Sorry there are not more in flight photo's. It seems my girlfriend was more interested in watching. I hope to have some more shots of the plane in flight to add to this thread.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:39 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
The maiden went great! The Edge 540 tracks realy well. I sighted up all control surfaces and needed no trim. I did find the original low throw setting needed to be turned up a bit from 30 to 45%. Other than that no problem. The plane went together quite easy. The kit is of very high quality and was very complete. Instructions could use a bit of proof reading. But, I was able to figure out what the Nyrod was and how it fit onto the tail section as a control horn. Maybe a photo of the small parts would be a good idea for the begginers.

I had been looking for a small plane which I could fly out front of the house. This one seems to fit the bill really nice.

The kit arrived two day after it was ordered and in great shape! The people at fancy foam models seem to be really nice. There is no doubt I will be buying another kit from this company. My experience has been top notch. My new plane has surely given me some enjoyment sence going through the two hurricanes that slapped us silly down here. There's alot of clean up still going on and there is no time to get the big birds out to the flight feild. Sure is nice to be able to fly again!

Hope everyone finds this thread to be of use. Thanks for looking!

John
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:33 AM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
John; Great review/pics... I've never been a fan of foam, but flying this thing sure has changed that. Right afer I flew mine for the first time, we had 2 more at the field, and a few more on the way.

Here's a shot my buddy took this weekend. I really wish it was clearer, and brighter, but it was a rather dismal day weatherwise.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Oct 25, 2004, 11:12 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Hey,

Thanks for the kind words. I searched for info on the plane before I decided to just go for it and could'nt find much. So I thought a few photos would be helpful for someone else considering this bird.

I just got back from flying it this morning and it just flys like a dream! Slows down really well and does really good acrobatic moves. I am not good at hovering yet but this seems to be a really good plane to practice with!

You did good with the colors on yours! Looks real good!

John
Old Oct 27, 2004, 08:05 PM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
One thing I did forget and also forgot to mention.

Before zeroing out all the servos prior to installing them into the plane, make sure you setup your flaperons on the transmitter. Then zero out all your servos.

I forgot to do this and the flaperons are zeroed in at half. So my flaps roll up half way and down half way.

I was able to fix this problem by setting the flapson the transmitter to zero. Removed each of the control horns on the aileron servos and put them back to zero. If you have to do this make sure you work over an area where you will be able to find the little screw if you drop it.

John
Old Oct 27, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwadmin
You did good with the colors on yours! Looks real good!

John
Thanks... My first attempt at checker boarding... I like the way you feathered the red... I tried this w/ the checker boarding... Need to work on this
Here are some clearer shots.

I found I don't use my coupled flaps or airbrakes. I set them up, but haven't used them since the first few flights.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 12:50 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
My transmitter is new and I have not figured out how to setup the ailerons without the flaps yet. I am using the Futaba T6EXA. Nice TX! Still learning the programming of it.

I did not spend much time on the paint job. Since it was my first. I'm sure it won't last long before I have to re kit it. More for orientation than anything else. The red did feather out nicer on the bottom of the plane. So did the yellow on top but just wasent as strikeing. I may go with a different color on top next time.

John
Old Oct 28, 2004, 08:22 AM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
I don't believe that the mixing can be turned off in flight on that Xmitter. We are talking about elevator-flap mixing... i.e when you give it up elevator it drops the ailerons, right?

You'd be surprised how durable the plane is... It will last longer than you think I try to hover over low over tall grass. When it gets out of wack, just chop the throttle.... 99 times out of 100 it "lands" with absolutly no damage.

If/when you do the next one, don't do symetrical patterns top/bottom. I did---big mistake. With any kind of light shining through you can see the pattern on the other side too.

Did you use the short cuts? I used an airbrush, and tried for the same feather effect, but I think the pattern was to small for this effect. Well that and I have no clue on how to use an airbrush properly
Old Oct 28, 2004, 11:21 AM
Just one more plane!
Joined Aug 2004
2,537 Posts
Yeah, short cuts, Found it at Micheals craft store. But they had very few colors. Picked out the two I like best and would show up good overhead.

I try to fly with as little mixing as possible, I don't want to get used to flying with it. I do setup expo's on channel 1 and 2 on new planes then like to back out of it as I get used to flying the plane. The flaperons is a mixed channel on the ailerons, no rudder or elevator in that mix. When the flaps knob is turned the flaps lower to to slow the plane down but the ailerons still work as they should. This is normal with this mix. But this plane slows down so nice I could just turn the flaps portion of the mix off. I'll keep reading the manual. There are a few other mixes I have not tried yet. I will try them when I get a little time.

Thanks for the hover tip!

John
Old Oct 28, 2004, 01:04 PM
Joined Sep 2001
3,521 Posts
Another hover tip: Not sure if the tranny does it, but I have about -25% expo dialed in on my throttle. Really helps w/ the hover.

For planes like this I find I like about -25% expo on everything on high rates, and none on low rates. Anything more and to me it's like flying with a rubber band as the control rod I can't use expo on a "normal" plane.

Only mixs I had set up on this one are coupled flaps ( elevator ---> Flap) and speed brake ( ailerons go up about 10%. Now Idon't use either . As the battery is near the end of it's charge, I just set the tail on the ground in a hover, and let it settle down. My buddie catches his. I'm not willing to try that just yet