HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:55 PM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Buying my first ducted fan jet..which one?

I am looking at hobby lobbies ducted fan jets....I would like one which is easy to build and fly...I know hard to find......I was looking at the F16 and Alfa mig....I am going brushless no matter what.....
I have flown...(Slowstick, Me 109, Small flying wing (25 inch), Large flying wing)....
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:08 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2002
1,034 Posts
Thor,

Check out the on-going thread on the Alpha Mig. From the reports there, it seems like a great airplane. I's chose it over the F-16. The Flying Styro F-16 takes alot of work to set it up. There are several threads here in the jet forums by those who have successfully flown it. Seems to fly very well on a Wemotec Microfan, Brushless motor and LiPos, but it's not a first time jet builder's project.

Another great first EDF is the Kyosho T-33 modified to brushless power. They're getting kinda hard to find now, but still pop up here and on e-bay occasionally. I love the way mine flies. Not a speed demon, but very pleasant flying and realistic looking.

Rob

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237377
NCC-1701 is offline Find More Posts by NCC-1701
Last edited by NCC-1701; Oct 21, 2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:21 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Welcome to the jet forum first off.

depending on your budget, how fast you want to fly, and ease of building, you didn't say if you wanted a balsa, FG, or foam jet, there are several choices to make. I'd do a lot of reading in the forum here first before deciding on anything.

The Flying Styro F-16 is a nice little jet, I have one waiting for me to build over the winter, runs best with a mini-fan and Astro or Razor motor set-up, but requires a "cheater hole" to allow enough air to get to the fan.

I don't know too much about the Alfa Mig, l've seen video's of it flying, again read the threads in the forum to get a better idea of it.

One jet that I have my eye on is a Wattage S-3 Viking twin edf. Nice stable plane to fly, and it doesn't cost a fortune to get up in the air LOL.

For all out balls-to-the-wall speed, take a look at a Jepe F-16 it's not cheap, nor for the faint of heart, but it's a screamer!!!

Another possibility is the Planes From RBC Kits and HET-RC these are a little tougher to build, and most require a bungee launch, but there all great performers.

Visit
www.warbirds-rc.com
www.eam.net
www.rtmodels.com
www.ejf.com

I'm sure there are plenty more, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head lol
I'm sure others will chime in and add some of their favorite sites and opinions too.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide.

Tom - Milwaukee

P.S. don't over look Ebay, there are a lot of jet kits sold there, and its a fantastic source for parts too, sometimes you can find a fantastic deal.
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Oct 21, 2004, 11:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2002
1,034 Posts
[QUOTE=RCParkflyer]
I'm sure there are plenty more, but I just can't think of them off the top of my head lol
[QUOTE]

I almost forgot, don't overlook the GWS A-10. Since it was upgraded to EDF-55's, it's become a nice little airplane, especially if you replace the Speed 300's with HiMaxx brushless motors.

Rob

Sigh, So many jets, so little time.
NCC-1701 is offline Find More Posts by NCC-1701
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:07 AM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
ALFA MIG.. I have built one and WOW!
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:58 AM
Cologne-Deutz R.R. Svc, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
I have the Alpha Huck, and saw the Alpha Mig-15 also on duty, I would not recommend as a beginners edf bird.

The RBC YAK-23 or LIP-20 is much easier to fly for first edf try!

Heiner
Heiner Skroblin is offline Find More Posts by Heiner Skroblin
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:40 AM
London Gatwick, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
4 Posts
I've just started the RBC A4 Skyhawk as my first edf.It's a very nice kit,with lots of building to pass the uk winter
jazz is offline Find More Posts by jazz
Old Oct 22, 2004, 04:54 AM
Cologne-Deutz R.R. Svc, Germany
Joined Jan 2002
1,085 Posts
RBCkits don't need the complete winter time! In 4 month you can build them all!

My RBC Blohm+Voss, I made the maiden at 1. of January 2004 after 10 days building period. The yak-23 I finished after 1 week ......

Heiner
Heiner Skroblin is offline Find More Posts by Heiner Skroblin
Old Oct 22, 2004, 10:39 AM
Ohio Wapak
Joined Feb 2002
3,710 Posts
Good stuff guys....I like to fly fast..but also scale...I have a unicorn Juiced up to 80mph......
Here is what I want...
1. Nothing to expensive but I will pay the extra for a nice jet.
2. One that glides very well..so must be light but can really haul (Speed wise)!!!
3. I would love one which takes off right from grass..but that is hard to find..I do not want one in which I have to launch it...I would rather hand toss it...
4. Nice flight times.....Poly battery with brushless motor.....
S-3 = What website???
Thanks guys
thor4944 is offline Find More Posts by thor4944
Last edited by thor4944; Oct 22, 2004 at 10:42 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2004, 11:13 AM
6 planes 2 jets 2 helis
United States, MA, Charlton
Joined Sep 2002
865 Posts
Check out the F/A-18 from warbirds rc it's an arf and does what your asking for.
Pacoson71 is offline Find More Posts by Pacoson71
Old Oct 22, 2004, 12:11 PM
Racine, WI AMA# 809291
Joined Nov 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thor4944
S-3 = What website???
Thanks guys

http://eam.net/EAMRC/edf.htm

Here is all of EAM's EDF Jets (Quite a large list too) , there are 2 S-3 Vikings listed one for Wattage and one for EAM (there own design I guess w/2 GWS EDF's)

Here is a video of one by JiminKentucky who has modified his with EDF 64's and Himax brushless motors. http://www.streamload.com/JIMinKENTU...shlessEdit.wmv
RCParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by RCParkflyer
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:02 PM
I am the BBQ Ninja
United States, MN, Woodbury
Joined Jan 2003
3,721 Posts
I am still going to go with the Alfa. It Fits all of your Criteria.

Matt
Willmsy is offline Find More Posts by Willmsy
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:49 PM
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Feb 2004
2,110 Posts
Another suggestion; if you're not looking for scale, consider the Wattage Turbo Vector. As an introduction to EDF it's pretty good.

Souped up on 3S Lithium and a Himax 2025-4200 (or the E-flite clone) it moves along very nicely, and has excellent energy retention (meaning it glides really well).

It's pretty easy to build, and being cheap and somewhat ugly you're not going to be heartbroken if you destroy it...

The Turbo Hawk has many of the same virtues, erring on the side of being even uglier (IMO 8).

= Mike
DrZiplok is offline Find More Posts by DrZiplok
Old Oct 22, 2004, 05:04 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Mike

Got the Walmart Life-Like Thunderjet, foam Lear-jet to fly using Kokam 640 3s1P with Firebird 180PH motor and 5x3 prop
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo
Old Oct 22, 2004, 09:39 PM
Austin, Texas
Joined Oct 2004
215 Posts
I have the KAVAN he 163.

it was my first airplane. fairly stable and forgiving w/o wind.
if there is wind it can be difficult.
I flew on the stock setup and it was OK, went brushless last week and love it.
RoyHolder is offline Find More Posts by RoyHolder