HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:55 PM
"I ain't got it!!!!!"
North Central Ohio
Joined May 2004
141 Posts
Rant
New LiPo Pack Won't Charge???

Just purchased a new 3-cell 1320 Mah Thunder Power LiPo for my new plane. The date on it is 9/28/04. Set my Triton charger for a charge rate of 1 amp at 11.1 volts, plugged in the battery and started the charger.

1. The charger showed a starting voltage on the battery of less than 8.5 volts, and a charge rate of .1 amp input to the battery.

2. After a few minutes, the charger shut off (the battery voltage hadn't reached 9 volts yet) and showed a "low battery voltage" report.

3. Restarted the charger. This time the battery voltage reached 9 volts without an auto shutoff. However, after over 4 hours of charging (at a constant .1 amp rate), the battery voltage FINALLY indicated just over 12 volts . I left it on charge for another hour expecting an increase in the charge rate (as per Triton's owner's manual) but it never happened, and the indicated battery voltage never got to 12.5 volts.

4. Did a discharge cycle at 2.5 amp rate with 9 volt cutoff, and it took less than 10 seconds to cutoff.

5. Went back to the original charge cycle and the charger showed a starting voltage of over 10.5 volts. Now the charge rate is no longer constant at .1 amp, but is varying up and down between 0 and .3 amps. The indicated voltage is up just over 12.5 volts.

I have a couple of other LiPo's but this is my first 3-cell. It looks to me like this one is either dead or REALLY sick. Anyone have any ideas that might coax it into taking a charge, or should I just give it up and get a replacement from my LHS???

Frothingslosh
Frothingslosh is offline Find More Posts by Frothingslosh
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:27 PM
United States, CA, Norwalk
Joined Apr 2004
2,704 Posts
Just to make sure I understand; this is a brand new pack and you never flew it?

You should check the voltage of any new packs to make sure they are at a voltage of approximately 3.5 volts per cell or higher. If it is in that range, completely charge the pack before you attempt to use it. If you're pack was at 8.5 volts when you first got it, you should have sent it back to the vendor immediately. You need to get them involved now. Tell them the situation, and they should replace the pack.

If you flew the pack, and discharged it too far, the vendor will be much more reluctant to replace it.

Dan
Dan Baldwin is offline Find More Posts by Dan Baldwin
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:48 PM
"I ain't got it!!!!!"
North Central Ohio
Joined May 2004
141 Posts
Dan -

Yes, it's a brand new pack, just out of the bag. I noticed the low voltage when I started the charge, but thought it might pick it up, being brand new. As it turned out, it didn't work. Just thought I might have overlooked some simple fix to get it going.

Tghe LHS has already been notified and will replace it.

Thanks for the reply,

Frothingslosh
Frothingslosh is offline Find More Posts by Frothingslosh
Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:23 PM
Permanently Banned
San Jose Ca / RSA flyer
Joined May 2003
8,030 Posts
Send back to TP for free replacement
hall woo is offline Find More Posts by hall woo