Closed Thread
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:11 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Mini-Review
F-15 Eagle Park Jet

Hereís the follow-on to my F/A-18 Hornet Park Jet. This model has similar dimensions and weights as the F-18 Park Jet and uses the same power setups and radio installation. Itís designed to be built entirely from either 6mm Depron or BlueCore foam.

The flight performance of this model is fantastic! It has a wide speed range and is happy doing either screaming fast low passes or very slow (~10 mph) high alpha slow passes. It has excellent handling characteristics and looks remarkably realistic in the air. For those that have flown the F-18 Park Jet, the F-15 handles just as well as the F-18 but is noticeably more stableóand thus easier to fly. However, itís not quite as quick on the controls as the F-18. So if youíve never flown a Depron jet pusher before, the F-15 Park Jet would be an excellent first jet! Iím hoping to get a flight video posted as soon as the weather cooperates.

Here are the specs:

Wing area: 257 sq in
Span: 27.9 in
Length: 42.3 in
Weight RTF: 15.7 oz as shown unpainted (estimate 16.5 oz painted)
Wing loading: 9.2 oz/ft2
Motor: Axi 2208/34
Battery: Etec 11.1V 1200 mAh Lipo
Prop: APC 9x6 SF
Current draw: 9.7 amps
Power loading: 100 watts/lb
Radio equipment: GWS R-6 receiver, GWS Pico and Hitec HS-55 servos, 10 amp ESC
Flight controls: Wing flaperons, full-flying horizontal stabilizer

Like the F-18, this model uses a flaperon/stabilator control system with 3 servos, which provides excellent control at both high speeds and low speeds. The best part of this control system is that it allows the use of flaps to not only improve takeoff and landing performance, but also improve maneuverability when mixed with the elevator to provide maneuvering flaps. This model can also be built with working rudders, but my flight testing so far has not indicated a strong need for them.

The design goals of this model were:

* True parkflyer: Able to comfortably fly in small fields, due to the light wing loading, high power loading, and excellent handling characteristics.

* Simple construction: The design features all flat sheet foam construction with minimal carving, which allows it to be built quickly. Balsa triangle stock is used at the corners to allow sanding the corners round, which greatly improves appearance.

* Capable of using inexpensive brushed motors: This model was designed to fly well with a stock GWS EPS-350C motor (5.33 gearing, 8x6 prop, 11.1V Lipo). Brushless motors will provide even better performance, but are not necessary for good performance. Ideally, any power system used in this model should provide 15-20 oz static thrust and 45-50 mph pitch speed. There are many motors available that will work well, including the Axi 2208/34 or 2212/26, geared Himaxx 2015 or 2025 series, geared Razor 350, or direct drive Mega 16/5/5.

Plans for this model are posted below. The only rule is if you build one from these plans, you gotta post a picture of the finished model here so we can all admire it!

And for those of you that donít have easy access to Depron or want to save time printing and tiling plans and cutting out parts, this design will soon be available as a laser-cut kit from www.3dfoamy.com. Levi puts out excellent quality kits that will save you a lot of time relative to scratch building! He expects to have the F-15 kits available in about 3 weeks.

Steve
jetset44 is offline Find More Posts by jetset44
Last edited by jetset44; Oct 21, 2004 at 02:14 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:13 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Here are some more pics of the prototype. Note that Iíve decreased the width of the aft fuselage/inlets about 0.5Ē on the plans relative to this prototype model, since I thought the aft fuselage looked a little too wide. The last picture shows the flaperons and stabilators at maximum deflection.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:15 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Here are a few more pics. The canopy is removable (via Velcro strips) to allow easy access to the battery compartment. The black wire is the receiver antenna and the foil-covered wires are the battery extensions. Because the battery leads are so long in this model, itís a good idea to wrap them with aluminum foil to reduce interference with the receiver. This foil added a noticeable increase in range during ground range checks!

These pictures also show the large flow-through inlets on this model. These allow the entire fuselage to become a large lifting surface, which contributes greatly to the excellent slow speed performance of this model. This inlet design also allows the model to be easily converted to electric ducted fans as well (a future project for me, but Iím sure one of you will beat me to it!).

The last picture shows the internal structure of the fuselage. Very similar to the F-18 Park Jet except that Iíve added some more scale details to the inlets (an inboard inlet side with working boundary layer diverter).
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:17 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Plans

Here are the plans for the F-15 Park Jet. These plans consist of two filesóa scaled assembly drawing that shows how everything fits together and a full-scale parts template. The parts template is posted in both tiled and non-tiled formats. Previews are posted below to show how the plans should look when assembled. Enjoy!

Steve

EDIT #1: Here's a link below to updated plans and construction guide for this model:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1647
Last edited by jetset44; Aug 23, 2005 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added link to updated plans
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:40 AM
Go FASST or go home...
Bergen, Norway
Joined Nov 2002
3,156 Posts
On behalf of everybody - Thank you Steve!!!!!!!!!!

You have made a dream come alive - my own F-15 And it looks soooo good. I bet thisone also will draw attention on may flying fields around the world!!

Ben_E
Ben_E is offline Find More Posts by Ben_E
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:41 AM
Ph.D in Depronology
Armageddon
Joined Aug 2004
491 Posts
Steve,

Thank you very much for the plans. Sorry about the nagging
I was going over the parts templates and found a small problem with the inch scale. It seems there's a shift there.
Photon is offline Find More Posts by Photon
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:43 AM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Thanks Steve!! Awesome.
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Oct 21, 2004, 02:55 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon
Steve,

Thank you very much for the plans. Sorry about the nagging
I was going over the parts templates and found a small problem with the inch scale. It seems there's a shift there.
Thanks for catching that problem, Photon! I just corrected the file and replaced it with a new version called Rev A. I had to squeeze things down a bit to get it to fit onto a single ANSI E sized sheet, and I didn't grab the whole scale when I was shifting things around...

Steve
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:04 AM
Zoom-Zoom
Switzerland, ZH, Dietikon
Joined Jun 2004
815 Posts
Hi there Steve!

Brilliant!!!!! Thanks a lot - Now I have a plan what to do with the last two sheets of Depron...

Best regards - Paco
RoverTomcat is offline Find More Posts by RoverTomcat
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:17 AM
Fly Brushless!
Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2002
3,136 Posts
Steve,

Where can I order an Axi 2208/34 motor from? And what do you recommend for an ESC?

Thx
Hawker is offline Find More Posts by Hawker
Old Oct 21, 2004, 03:37 AM
Park Jet Guru
Seattle, WA
Joined Jun 2002
5,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Steve,

Where can I order an Axi 2208/34 motor from? And what do you recommend for an ESC?

Thx
I got mine from www.parkflyermotors.com, but Hobby Lobby and www.aeromicro.com also carry them. I'd recommend the Castle Creations Phoenix 10 ESC. If you get the Axi, also get one of the adapters that lets you mount the Axi to a GWS-style stick mount. Makes it really easy to swap motors around and test different combos.

I had this motor and ESC in my ShockFlyer up until now, and I never would have believed it could fly a 16 oz Depron jet with any authority until Sal C convinced me to try it. I was already a strong believer in Axi motors, but I'm even more of a believer now! I highly highly recommend them.

Steve

P.S. If you get one for an F-15 or F-18, I'd recommend getting the larger 2212/26 over the 2208/34. I'm really happy with my 2208, but I'm working that poor little motor really hard in the F-15. The 2212/26 can handle these power levels much easier.
Last edited by jetset44; Oct 21, 2004 at 03:44 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:47 AM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,087 Posts
Thanks
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Old Oct 21, 2004, 08:51 AM
Paducah Barkley, Kentucky, United States
Joined Sep 2003
783 Posts
Thanks again Steve!

What colors is this one going to wear?

mike
umrk is offline Find More Posts by umrk
Old Oct 21, 2004, 09:03 AM
Will fly for food
Maryland
Joined Sep 2004
8,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Steve,

Thx
Aircraft-World (www.aircraft-world.com) has good prices on them. And I actually have gotten packages from them in Japan faster than some US companies.
Pinecone is offline Find More Posts by Pinecone
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:26 AM
Lowell, MA
Joined Feb 2004
594 Posts
Thanks a bunch Steve
flanker is offline Find More Posts by flanker
Closed Thread