HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 20, 2004, 06:46 AM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Slow Stick AP: MIA: Presumed dead

My slowstick was acting weird yesterday around the house. It was as if the entire battery just cut out. It has a GWS 4PN receiver, 350 engine and a 2 MP pencam, ICS 300.

It slowly circled down into a tree. It seemed ok, and on the ground, it responded to control inputs. (after smacking the tree).

I went out to an open field to test it out. I rearranged things (after the smacking), and sent it on it's way. A minute or so into the flight, it dived hard. I cut the throttle, and pulled up on the elevator. It started to respond, so I gave it full throttle. It behaved normally again. I wasn't certain if this was the same thing as before, or if it had just flown into a wierd wind gusty area. I'm in a hilly region so it's possible.

I'm gaining altitude sweeping around the edge of the field, and it dives hard again, no response, it goes below the horizon of trees on the edge of the property. But, I heard no 'thump'.

It was dusk, I looked for it, but found no trace. I came back with flash lights, but the fog had rolled in. 50%/50% chance it's in the middle of a neighbor's field. I reallly couldn't tell where it went down as the view became obstucted by trees.
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 20, 2004, 08:59 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,255 Posts
That's awful - hope you find it and damage is minimal.

Usually, anyone with lots of experience in r/c has lost an aircraft due to mecanical, electronic or human failures - it's just all part of the game.

Good luck,

Buzz
Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Oct 20, 2004, 09:05 AM
Trying to defy gravity...
USA, NY, East Northport
Joined Dec 2003
2,896 Posts
Damn, sorry to hear that. I hate reading about someone loosing a plane, but an AP plane...

I'll use GWS RP4II receivers for my cheap parkflying foamies, but my AP Stick has a full range, dual conversion receiver with a full length antenna...it just makes be feel better.

Hope you recover you plane with a minimum of equipment damage.

Jimsky
jimsky is offline Find More Posts by jimsky
Old Oct 20, 2004, 12:05 PM
define("BEASTMODE", "1");
United States, LA, Moreauville
Joined Jan 2002
4,368 Posts
Sorry to hear about the loss, hope you find it.

As for the loss of control, it sounds like either a broken wire or loose connection somewhere, or possibly the crystal isn't a tight fit. I had that problem one of my GWS receivers, and tried this and that, checking here and there, and finally noticed that the servos would jump when I touched the crystal. I pulled it out and bent the legs a little so it fit back snug, and haven't had a problem since.

Edit - Fixed the typos...
KeithLuneau is offline Find More Posts by KeithLuneau
Last edited by KeithLuneau; Oct 20, 2004 at 03:03 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 02:57 PM
Clintwood, Virginia
Joined Jul 2003
1,146 Posts
I've never had a GWS RX without having Xtal problems. Bend the legs like a banana, an hot glue them in. I believe a lot of the GWS bad rep is from this very problem.
I hope you find your plane! If you give your location, maybe someone close to you can do a flyover.
Newberry is offline Find More Posts by Newberry
Old Oct 20, 2004, 04:09 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Sorry to hear of MIA SS, hope you get it back soon.

Another of the known GWS RX issues is the antenna lead itself. The wire insulation can pull back exposing the center conductor. An occasional wiggle and/or vibration causes it to short out on the PCB and then it's glitch city. I lost two micro helis, one acted jittery before involuntarily burying itself and the other simply shut down and crashed. After finally figuring it out, all my GWS RX's have their antenna leads 'staked' down by hot glue or epoxy.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Oct 21, 2004, 01:33 PM
Registered Lurker
Joined Aug 2004
2,611 Posts
Soggy Slow stick found

I found the plane yesterday. It had spent the entire night out in the rain.

All things considered it could fly again, but I think it's time to retire it, and use the parts in smaller less critical projects.

Camera still takes pictures (pencam).

The footage taken (every 2-3 seconds). Shows clear sailing then nothing, then
a bunch of black (after it hit the ground, and the battery lead reconnected).

I believe this whole thing was caused by a deans to JST connector I soldiered myself that
cracked a few days ago.

Of course, now, I found the link how to properly solder a connector (and allerc.com is also instock, so I bought some decent ones, instead of the mush I put together)
Nethole is offline Find More Posts by Nethole