SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 17, 2004, 12:02 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Outstanding work U812....gave me some ideas for endcaps...thanks. Another source for plastic, whatever you want in plastic, is "usplastics.com and McMaster-Carr.....they have a very large selection and sell in smaller orders as well. Best of luck with the u-boat U812.
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2004, 01:11 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Hey Mike thanks a lot! Ah it's my first sub and I still have so much to learn but the forums really help. Thanks for the tips on plastic suppliers!

Steve

BTW

Just tested the WTC. Kept it at 1 ft for quite awhile and not one stinking leak!!!! So now to put it back in the sub this weekend and get the video of the maiden voyage!
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Last edited by U812; Nov 17, 2004 at 01:28 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2004, 04:37 PM
Dubai U.A.E
Joined Oct 2003
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by U812
...... So now to put it back in the sub this weekend and get the video of the maiden voyage!
Steve: There's an rc bike guy pulling for you here! First rate project execution, good luck with the maiden voyage!

regards,
kevin@rcbike.com
vaz2107 is offline Find More Posts by vaz2107
Old Nov 17, 2004, 06:25 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Hey thanks Kevin!

steve
Old Nov 19, 2004, 03:47 AM
Vtol Builder
High Wycombe, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
that is looking nice.. i have been umm-ing and arrr-ing about doing this (cheep(ish) way of getting a nice scale sub going!) i have some tiny servos and some of the 250 motors and all that guff so it would be the price of the kit (50) and any other little stuff needed!

are you using the scale plastic props or are you using after market ones?
what rc gear are you using.. is it plane stuff or have you bought a 3 channel surface radio?

thanks

keep up the good work
Lewist is offline Find More Posts by Lewist
Old Nov 20, 2004, 02:00 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Lewist,

First thank you. I'm planning on trying the plastic scale props but just realized they are for a counter rotating set up and both of my motors are turning counter clockwise just like a plane.

So I can either open up the WTC and reverse the wiring on one of the motors or try to find some boat props or make my own. I have a feeling the plastic props won't last long as they are not very strong. I may just make my own.

I'm using a aircraft radio right now but if everything goes well I'm going to order a 5 channel radio on ground frequency. 5 because the next sub will be static diving.

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2004, 03:49 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Update

Well I put her in the pool. She filled up with water floated very nice for a minute and sank straight to the bottom. LOL

So I dragged her back up, checked the WTC, all nice a dry.

So then I added some white foam I use to cut wing cores forward and aft. Tried it again and she sits perfectly a bit below the water line. Perfect for dynamic diving.

Radio was not on in this trial and I just pushed her along in the pool. It wants to dive if I aim the dive planes down and also turns when I set the rudders. So far so good.

I ended up making my own props. Not an easy thing but they turned out well. A little brass, some wheel collars and solder. Oh some grinding too.

I'll post pics tomorrow of her in the pool and the props. If all goes well I'll fire up the radio and get some video.

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:04 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
did you get pics of her going to the bottom?

cant wait to see her under power Steve!
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:18 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
No it was 12:00 am when I did this and kind of dark. It's hard to resist when the pool is right outside the hanger door (or my office door). LOL

Ah it's going to be great. All ready starting on the Russian Kilo.

Steve
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:21 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
doh! i hope to have the temptation you do someday! well, other than when i'm house sitting at a friend's place.

Steve, you are a building maniac! keep it up! heh.
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Nov 23, 2004, 06:54 AM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
Ok. counter rotating may be better because it will eliminate prop tourque, although i doubt there wil be a great deal with the motors you are using it still may affect the sub.

i converted a tiny little PT boat (revell plastic model) using servos motors and the servos boards as the ESC (just turned the EPA down on the TX and used a v tail mixer to sort out the thrust diffentail steering and that woked well but the first time i had both motors running the same way and there was so much touque (even from those tiny motors) that it actaully almost went under when i gave it full throttle, i coverted it to counter rotating and it is soo much bettr.. you may or may not find this with your sub..

look forward to pictures and a video!
Old Nov 23, 2004, 10:49 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,748 Posts
Quote:
i had both motors running the same way and there was so much touque (even from those tiny motors) that it actaully almost went under when i gave it full throttle, i coverted it to counter rotating and it is soo much bettr.. you may or may not find this with your sub..
The WWII PT Boats made in the US had 3 right hand pitch props (all turning the same way). Prop torque was countered by rudder and prop shaft offsets.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Nov 23, 2004, 04:37 PM
Vtol Builder
Joined Jul 2004
997 Posts
yeah.. i noticed the kit moulded plastic props all were the same hand!

I didn't have the weight allowance or room to have 3 motors or proper rudders!
Old Nov 24, 2004, 11:56 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Lewist,

As it turns out the two left hand props did just fine. Did a full test in the pool tonight and everything went well. As it turns out,my pool,besides being dirty is,too small.

Although the boat turns well the pool is just too narrow and I can barely get her around.

She wants to dive but again I run out of room by the time she's up to speed. At half throttle this boat is very fast. Too fast for scale. she will be happy in the lake and there's a large one near by to my flying filed I'll try her at next.

Shot some video but it's too dark. So after the turkey day I'll shoot some day light pics and video.

Here's some of it in the pool tonight. I'm happy she doesn't leak and everything operates smoothly. I'm only running and old 7 cell 350 mah pack so 2 minutes and it's over. So i'll have to switch to a larger capacity pack next or get stuck out on the lake.

I'll post more on Friday.

Steve

P.S. starting on the Kilo next this will make a good pool sub and I'm planning at this point to make it a static diver. Just need to fine the right sized pump and bladder.

The other is a kit I picked up that came with a WTC set up for free running. I may make it RC. Not sure yet as it's tight on space. Oh what fun.
Last edited by U812; Nov 25, 2004 at 04:48 AM.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 12:26 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Here's one of the props. I'll have to clean them up now and add the spinner as they did work so well.

Steve