HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 06, 2004, 10:44 AM
Montreal St. Hubert, Canada
Joined Jun 2003
201 Posts
Steve thanks for the motivation.Like everyone here I am in to electrics and sailplanes.My buddys are trying to get me into turbines since they all fly kangaroo's and cyclones.I was wanted a sub but some guys discouraged me from buying the robbe u-boat and the other models are way to exapensive.I am going to a local hobby show tommorow and I am going to get the same model and hopefully get it to look like yours.Great sub!keep us newbies posted.

Daniel
GHOST RIDER is offline Find More Posts by GHOST RIDER
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2004, 03:06 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
U812, that is one fine sub matey, weather it a tad more for that hard worked, battle-hardenned Unterseeboot of Karl Donetz's kriegsmarine.

by the way, to prevent the vessel going down totally, as there has been a lot of work gone into her, id fill the entire hull with polystyrene foam, to make the vessel positively bouyant so takes a lot of effort to sink her, even if she does flood.

by the way, how did u weather her?
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 06, 2004, 03:10 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
stoke on trent
Joined Oct 2004
8,052 Posts
daniel, the U47 or seawolf by robbe, have a go, u'll have plenty of fun with her
Ghost 2501 is offline Find More Posts by Ghost 2501
Old Nov 06, 2004, 03:33 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Thanks guys! Really it's my first boat. I'm a jet jock ( www.stevejets.com ) but have always loved subs since I grew up around them. My dad use to work at Mare island.

I just used enamel paints to weather the boat. Made some rust washes and water mark washes with thinner. I then used a couple of soft brushes. Was lots of fun really.

I'm too thinking of the Robbe boats but they will take a great deal of detailing to make them look as scale as this Revell model. However that's half the fun.

Thanks again men,

Steve
U812 is offline Find More Posts by U812
Old Nov 06, 2004, 10:12 PM
Montreal St. Hubert, Canada
Joined Jun 2003
201 Posts
I will probably still buy the ROBBE kit but I think I will try the revell kit and see if I like it since it is really a low cost alternative to available kits.

Daniel
GHOST RIDER is offline Find More Posts by GHOST RIDER
Old Nov 07, 2004, 03:27 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
heh, i'm in awe of steve's skill. not only jets, but subs too! i think i'll go back to my lowly gws tigermoth now.

but i have been eyeing this kit. even more so now!
Synwpn is offline Find More Posts by Synwpn
Old Nov 08, 2004, 01:08 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Synwpn,

thanks a bunch buddy!

Steve
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:32 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Well I have a little leak in the WTC. Not too bad but enough. Think I found it and will test again this weekend. She likes to lay on her side so ballast (as I expected) will be placed in the boat and she should sit nice in the water. Tweak tweak just like an airplane.

I hope to get her sailing this weekend and I will post video. This is a lot of fun. I should have done this long ago. Can't wait to scratch build a bigger sub next!

Steve
Old Nov 10, 2004, 02:54 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
heh. no emergency dives on her own then eh?
Old Nov 12, 2004, 05:32 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,397 Posts
Steve -- nice to see you modeling in this area too. Your U-Boat has amazing detail--conning tower gratings and deck gun, for example. Did you use any aftermarket parts, such as photo-etch or is that the level of detail in the kit?

I was thinking of using some PVC pipe and end caps for my WTC, but I will have to confirm that the right diameter is available at the local building supply.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Nov 13, 2004, 01:30 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Hey Pete!

No I built it stock out of the box. I did make a few brass parts for strength but not much. You can make the WTC that way and I wished now I had. You can use clear plex which allow you to check on leakage without have to open the WTC.

Plex you can get in more sizes than PVC.

I love subs! I've started another and i'll post a new thread soon.

Steve
Old Nov 16, 2004, 03:42 AM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Well I couldn't stop the leaks on the first WTC I made so I did it the right way.

2 inch OD acrylic tubing did the trick. Just fits. I used Bondo to make the end caps. I used a cut piece of the tubing. Glued it to ply. I wrapped some PETG around the outside. Waxed it and then a little PVA and poured the Bondo.

It released well. It shrinks a bit but i plan to use some silicone to seal the ends.

It was a bit of a trick to get the parts all inside but only took an evening to do.

Tomorrow I'll test for leaks. The whole WTC can be removed and everything inside has easy access. This is a much better way to go.

Soon we should see the boot in the high seas.

Steve
Old Nov 16, 2004, 05:13 AM
go fly! no crashes!
Honolulu, HI
Joined Jun 2003
2,845 Posts
pair of johnson250s for motors?

nice wtc Steve!

i saw a waterjet propulsion device the other day. dont we have a corvette or frigate sized ship that is powered by such a system? i could do one of those. roll 'depthcharges' (ok, IEDs but if they explode underwater, doesnt that make them depthcharges?) off the stern or something. heh.
Old Nov 16, 2004, 07:18 AM
Lorton, Va
Joined May 2004
390 Posts
U812:

'2 inch OD acrylic tubing did the trick. Just fits. I used Bondo to make the end caps. I used a cut piece of the tubing. Glued it to ply. I wrapped some PETG around the outside. Waxed it and then a little PVA and poured the Bondo.'

Can you please point me in the direction of where to find acrylic tubing? Do you buy it locally, or mail order? Also, what does PETG and PVA stand for? I am thinking about casting some WTC lids like you did. Thanks for the info and great looking sub!
sjgusmc21 is offline Find More Posts by sjgusmc21
Old Nov 16, 2004, 04:03 PM
Joined Sep 2002
7,938 Posts
Synwpn,

Hey thanks man. Don't know much about the surface boats. Get building my ME.

Oh...you are. Oh the motors were for a Wright flyer from great planes. * bucks for two.

sjgusmc21,

I got it from a local plastics store. It's very common and about 2.50 a foot.

PETG is a plastic sheet materail I use for vacuum forming but any abs styrene even 1/64 ply will do as long as it wraps around.

PVA is a mold release used for fiber glass parts. A good plastics store should have all these items.

Thanks for the kind words!