SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:27 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
looking for the next challenge?

I got back into slope soaring about a year ago after a 15 year hiatus! I've built and been flying a couple of combat wings during this time and am craving something with a little more "zing". Anyone have any reccomendations? I definately want more performance/speed but don't want to get in over my head. I've been looking at some of the planes from Art Hobbies and also considering the Gulp or M60?

Trying to keep it under $200.00....Any tips would be great!
JEB21 is offline Find More Posts by JEB21
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:46 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Hmmm... M60's are great. All the Arthobby planes I have seen fly very well. Gulps are smooth, but from what I have read are a little better suited on the backside. In this case I would say it depends on your local slope- if it is smooth and crunchy friendly go Arthobby or Redback Pro. If it is rough, turbulent or rocky try the M60 or the Gulp. The M60 is faster on the front side, and has a huge following up here in Denver. Another plus for the M60 is that it needs 1 less servo and can take a pounding. Go for the ballast option!

I'm sure you will get lots of feedback. Everyone has their favorites.

Cody
Cody WIlson is offline Find More Posts by Cody WIlson
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:48 PM
Crikey never leave beer behind
Mt Annan Sydney Australia
Joined Dec 2003
23,381 Posts
sawtooth 60 your option Cody has details he's being a bit slack in building one though lol
sorry Cody couldnt resist it
SteveW
steve wenban is offline Find More Posts by steve wenban
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:56 PM
Ninja of the Nasty
Joined Jan 2004
10,647 Posts
my vote.... JW... fast on the frontside, the best in the backside, and super durable and super simple to build....

www.bowmanshobbies.com

JOe
KingOfTheHill is offline Find More Posts by KingOfTheHill
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:49 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Steve- I know I know... I should probably get off my lazy butt and just cut some formica templates! By the looks of things the CNC won't be going untill next year at the earliest!
My "interface" guy has been out of the country every week for the last two months!

Cody
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:05 PM
Feeling FrSky
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
20,091 Posts
Maybe a PSSer? They're always fun IMHO. CSD makes good glass ones, and LEG makes good EPP ones. Just a thought!

Steve
surfimp is offline Find More Posts by surfimp
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2004, 10:44 PM
I want my MoM, again!
Concord, California
Joined Jul 2004
354 Posts
Another vote for the M60. I know this guy (not me ) who has hit a truck, two trees, a large rock, a weasel, and several attempts at the ground, with an M60. They bounce real well, fly even better, and allow you to attempt stuff a little over your head without fear of a total wreck. I agree, ballast is a good idea as are servos with metal gears.

All the best

Barry
Barry_DVRC is offline Find More Posts by Barry_DVRC
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:26 PM
plane obsessed
Denver, CO.
Joined Nov 2003
3,885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_DVRC
allow you to attempt stuff a little over your head without fear of a total wreck. I agree, ballast is a good idea as are servos with metal gears.
Except maybe a concussion

Hey- do I know you??? You already know how I fly and I dont even own an M60!
Old Oct 18, 2004, 11:50 PM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Feb 2004
2,968 Posts
Lots of good suggestions here. I agree with Cody, factor in your local conditions. If you want to stay with foam, I'd like to suggest the Moth. My Moth (48") seems more aerobatic than my buddy's M60 (60") when the lift is moderate. And since its lighter, I don't have to worry as much when landing hot. Mine has an 8oz wing loading unballasted and gets up to 15oz/sq-ft when the ballast tube is filled (adds 16.5ozs to the AUW). The only deal with the Moth's and M60's is they're finicky on the CG position so it takes a little experimenting to dial them in the first time. Good price and cheap to run, only needs two HS-85MG's. Heres a good build thread with photos for Moth/M60:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5&pagenumber=1

I like Steve's suggestion for a PSS'er too. In fact, I just ordered an Airacobra from CSD. There are lots of build threads to reference, here are two:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ight=csd+cobra

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234089

I've seen Surfimp fly his and they are a blast when the lift is up.

Lance
hydrogin is offline Find More Posts by hydrogin
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:33 AM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
The PSS stuff is great for "Hey, that sure looks cool!" and the zippy EPP stuff is great for "Hey, I'm sure glad that wasn't one of my nice PSS planes" after watching your EPP plane tumble across the hill after some dorked landing or something and then walking over and launching the plane for more fun...

You really need some of both!

In the meantime, have fun choosing!

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Oct 19, 2004, 01:52 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! I'm leaning towards the M60 but I've heard the build can be kind of a hassle? Is the fuse pre-shaped or is there tons of sanding involved? I've seen them fly and the performance is amazing.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:24 PM
Southern California
Joined Sep 2003
6,903 Posts
Get used to sanding anyway--- you'll need it to build anything in the future if you really want cool planes and top performance. IMHO

Tim
timmig is offline Find More Posts by timmig
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:37 PM
Just tape it, it'll fly
Broomfield Jeffco, Colorado, United States
Joined Jun 2003
649 Posts
Compared to a lot of things, an M60 build is a cakewalk (but I didn't have the patience to do the thinned goop thing on mine).

I don't have a Gulp, but I do have an M60 (duh), a 48" Moth, a CSD P-39, a LEG Me109, an Art Hobby Sierra and a Boar. I love them all for different reasons. The Sierra and the boar will fly in just about all conditions, but they break, you know? The CSD and the LEG tend to be high energy planes (like all PSS as far as I know) and you've gotta actively fly them, if you know what I mean. The Moth 48 just flies great all the time. I don't have a ballast tube in it, so it's a little goofy in heavy air, but not too bad. The M60...pretty much does it all, especially with a ballast tube. It might be my main go-to plane. Setup can be finicky, but indescribably rewarding. In short, get all of the planes, but maybe the M60 first.
Pete-O is offline Find More Posts by Pete-O
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:40 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmig
Get used to sanding anyway--- you'll need it to build anything in the future if you really want cool planes and top performance. IMHO

Tim
Yep, Tim is right, you gotta do some sanding if you're gonna build. For me, it's like laundry. I whine and complain, but once I just shut up and get started, it's no big deal. Just don't be in a rush, take your time and let the dust clouds fly...

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Oct 19, 2004, 02:55 PM
Sayonara
Agoura Hills,CA
Joined Mar 2004
656 Posts
Looks like I'll be putting my order in to NCFM and picking up some sandpaper on the way home!