HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:54 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Discussion
Still flying in Connecticut

Don asked us to close out our first thread, here we are opening up a second.
If you're in Connecticut, drop in contact us, come join us!

Dennis Phelan
Hamden
F3B, HLG, free flight, a little slope, a tiny amount of e- and....

Info on our sites and stuff can be seen at the following post #'s

Talcott Mt and Cromwell pics
Directions to Bristol slope
Pinkwing = #85
Deplanx =#115
Video, Over the Rainbow
Map/Directions to Durham
Tx Mitt info = #294
My weather sites = #650
Thermal activity
Suffield directions
Mt Higby pic = #789
Higby Initial report
Mt Higby Conquered
Seaside Park pics = #938
Bat pic = #963
East Rock Map
Mt Chauncy
East rock pics
East Rock video
Seaside Park pic's
Mount Higby Video's
Directions to Mt Higby
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Last edited by dephela; Jun 19, 2008 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added info locations inside thread
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:33 PM
North Branford, CT
Joined Jun 2001
690 Posts
Ayuh, still flyin in Yankeeland

Steve Syrotiak, ole geezer fumblin' with TD, electric sailplanes, and such. Ready for any kind of flying as long as the aspect ratio is at least 12:1, and the bird doesn't fall outta the air without power being applied...
stephen.s1 is offline Find More Posts by stephen.s1
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:51 PM
Connecticut USA
Joined Sep 2003
119 Posts
Tom Vaccaro, badly bitten by the F3B bug (again). Many other interests,e-3D, big electric gliders, free flight scale/little time--until next year!
tomv36 is offline Find More Posts by tomv36
Old Oct 18, 2004, 06:56 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Stuart Hall, newbie glider pilot just getting really into this soaring thing and relying upon the generosity of the three gents who have posted thus far. TD with a 3M RES plane, a very little slope action with a foamie, and parkflyer electric.

Tom, so if you are badly bitten does that mean you will be traipsing across the country next year attending F3B events? I am sure Dennis will be pleased to have someone to fly with. I'll always volunteer my time to call Base B for you guys.
fprintf is offline Find More Posts by fprintf
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:24 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,368 Posts
Got back into R/C flight this year after 2 short lived attempts many years ago. Been mostly flying e-powered packing material. Found this group of very helpful gents when I got interested in sailplanes. Got bitten hard by the DLG bug.

Oh...and I like to go fast

- Felix Tang
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Oct 19, 2004, 09:15 AM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Maybe some of you have used my favorite site for looking at current wind conditions? You noticed it was gone? This is the second time, but I found it again and he's changed it once again, for the better again. Much easier now to view even more weather info. Best part is the change so you can pick a "special" presentation, like current wind for the NE and save that URL and it will come back to that one!

http://coolwx.com/cgi-bin/getanalysi...t&field=stream

Tom, did you see that? Felix says he likes to go f..a..s..t!
Old Oct 19, 2004, 11:35 AM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dephela
Nice weather site! I have bookmarked that one (again!). Here is one of my favorites that shows thermal updraft velocity and is a pretty darn good predictor of macro thermal conditions (you need to register to get to see the image):
http://www.drjack.info/BLIP/RUC/NE/viewer.html

Here is the image from today:

Quote:
Tom, did you see that? Felix says he likes to go f..a..s..t!
Uh oh...

-------------
edit:{here is the image described earlier:}
Last edited by fprintf; Oct 19, 2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 03:03 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Nice Video

Dudes,
I was cruising around, checking out planes and ran into this. It's the slope we always want in or backyard?

http://www.hangflug.ch/video/elita_f3f.wmv
Old Oct 19, 2004, 03:25 PM
North Branford, CT
Joined Jun 2001
690 Posts
Geeze Dennis, Why do you do something like this...

Seriously, thanks for poppin it up! Nice ds clips. Oh yeah those knolls in the background aren't too shabby either.
Old Oct 19, 2004, 06:03 PM
Connecticut USA
Joined Sep 2003
119 Posts
Wow Dennis! I recognized the site right away. It's clearly Mt Southington. Right dowm the street from me.
tomv36 is offline Find More Posts by tomv36
Old Oct 22, 2004, 02:04 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Nice video.

Anyone going to be flying Sunday? Weather is getting colder, wind is most persistent, but I still have a jonesin' for some flyin'!
Old Oct 22, 2004, 03:36 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Joanne has the upcoming week off. Sometime during that, we'll be going to Virginia for some camping. It's almost back to flying HLG's at Durham time. Saturday morning is W&O at Durham, I haven't a clue as to the rest of the weekend.

I think I finally got the links straight within my website. It might be difficult to find access to everything from the homepage but it's all there! Look carefully for the link to the 2004 F3B TS Contest. http://www.geocities.com/dephela/index.html

Yahoo gives me a nice editor to use but lately I haven't been able to get it to work so I had to make pages using "MS Word and Front Page".The homepage finally got a few edits by going right into the HTML[ugh]. The Yahoo File manager was the only bright spot but I made a few errors while running from program to program. I like flying a lot more than I like putting up a website.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 02:16 PM
[intentionally blank]
Cheshire, CT, USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,528 Posts
Today I learned that I should pay attention to the master and that EPP floats.

I had heard that Lighthouse Point only really works in NW or NNW winds. The forecast for today seemed perfect for the Highlander at a steady 10 mph, but from the N or NNE. What difference does one letter on the end of the direction make anyway?

When I got down there the wind was coming more along the shoreline than I would have liked. At the best spots it was coming in at 30 degrees to perpendicular, and at worst it was 45 degrees off. I decided I couldn't do *too* much damage to the Highlander, so I flew it anyway. I got a few 90 second flights in but the lift really wasn't strong or wide enough to put the nose down, and keeping the trim up made the plane float backwards out of the lift or stall. Lesson #1 - listen to Dennis. That site is only best as NNW or NW. I took out my compass and discovered there is quite a difference between the various wind directions and those wind directions are optimal in that suboptimal location.

On my last flight I put the Highlander in the drink. Doh! Fortunately the wind was onshore and the plane was within reach that I got it out of the water within a few seconds of its landing. That was it for the day, so I packed up and when I got home I dried everything out. There was no need to rinse the plane as the only electronics that got wet was the on/off switch and I am replacing that with a switchjack next year anyway. Lesson #2 - good thing EPP floats and is pretty well watertight with all the tape!

Dennis, if you need help with the HTML, send me an email. I am migrating a site at work that has over 3000 pages so I think I can help out a tad bit if you need it. Also, if you ever see the need to migrate to a real, free, and robust server based on RCgroups (e.g. fprintf.rchomepage.com) with FTP, email etc. capabilities let me know and I can manage that too.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 04:41 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,015 Posts
Thanks Stuart,
My only problem is that the java program that's used to open the editor I use for my pages has become unavailable to me as it seems my computer[due to my screwing around] won't allow it to. Sounds like a good time to learn to use another tool for making them. I used MS Frontpage to post the pic's but I don't think I liked that little freebee thing. I'll try using it to make another homepage to replace the current one and see how that works, then maybe on to something else.

Lighthouse takes 20mph inds to work. Direction is critical. It's fun we're after, if you didn't have fun at least you got some experience.

Dudes all,
The indoor free flight season is upon us.
If you have any interest in seeing or flying, the dates at the Glastonbury High School Gym for this winter are:
Nov 14, 8-12:30
Dec 19, 8-12:30
Jan 9, 8-12:30
Feb 13, 8-5 Contest
Mar 13, 8-12:30
Apr 10, 8-5 Contest

Ugh, I hated to use the "W" word!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 05:05 PM
North Branford, CT
Joined Jun 2001
690 Posts
and today...

.. I flew dhl in Durham. Fast moving lift (outta the North) kept me busy.

A good thing to do. Was kinda surprised not to see any other glider guiders on the field.