HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2004, 12:51 PM
There are FOUR LIGHTS !!!
Long Beach Municipal, California, United States
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
What do you do if your frequency isn't open?

What do you do if your frequency isn't open when you get to the field?

I have a Hitec Flash 5, and it looks like the only way to change the TX crystal is by sending it in to Hitec. (I've read through all the debates on the other threads).

So, is the only other way to go around this is to get another TX with a different freq, and a set of RX crystals using that freq?

Or is there any other options?

I would hate to get to the field and find out that my freq isn't open.
psycho_klown66 is offline Find More Posts by psycho_klown66
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:07 PM
Newark Ohio
Joined Sep 2001
573 Posts
You Wait

You wait until it becomes open. When the guy is done flying, he turns in the freq. pin and you take it. Take Turns. If there is a frequency hog, thats another story, talk to the club officers. (edited by moderator)
Hivoltage is offline Find More Posts by Hivoltage
Last edited by Mark Wood; Oct 18, 2004 at 01:14 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:11 PM
just another $$$ hobby
Rustburg, Virginia, United States
Joined Aug 2004
1,033 Posts
IMO...get a different Freq radio, wait your turn....Hopfully if someone else is using your same Ch they wont hog it up all day.
At the Club I joined, they have a gentlemans rule about stuff like that. IF you arrive and someone else is on the same Ch you just let them know that when possible you'd like to fly...most guys will fly once give the Freq clip..take there TX batery out so the other can fly..kinda of an annoyance but you get to Fly
radcast2 is offline Find More Posts by radcast2
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:27 PM
Lawrence, Kansas, United States
Joined Sep 2004
458 Posts
Here's some very good advice that was given to me prior to purchasing my radio. Get a hold of the club member frequency list (member names and their radio frequencies) and see if there's one that's not used by any member. Get that one! If they are all taken then figure out what days you'll be flying and find out frequency will be most likely in use on those days. Bottom line, stay away from the ones used by the most active pilots.
DaGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaGuy
Old Oct 17, 2004, 01:38 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the good advice!

I wish I got a hold of the club member freq list before I purchased the TX. I'll talk with one of the officers to see the list anyways... maybe I'll luck out.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 02:02 PM
Sacramento
Joined Nov 2003
964 Posts
Get a radio with a spectra module and a few extra xtals for your reciever, that way you can choose your frequency at the field
crashingagain is offline Find More Posts by crashingagain
Old Oct 17, 2004, 02:18 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,301 Posts
Yeh, find your club freq. list.. That's what I did.. Everything I fly is on 1 freq..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:54 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
Right now, I'm somewhat wishing I bought a TX with a spectra module... oh well...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:23 AM
Right Head - Wrong Planet
London Luton Intl, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Aug 2004
218 Posts
We are all in the same boat. It is a nuisance when someone else is on your frequency but it is all part of the hobby. If you cannot change frequency then explain the situation to the other guy and ask if he could change his frequency. Most flyers would be happy to help.

However, if the other guy refuses to change crystals then UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE YOU TO MOMENTARILY SWITCH YOUR TRANSMITTER ON WHILST HE IS FLYING AND THEN CONVINCE HIM THAT THERE MUST BE INTERFERENCE ON THAT CHANNEL THAT WOULD PROBABLY BE CURED BY CHANGING FREQUENCY!

This is a rotten and underhand thing to do that cannot be condoned in any way.
A-hem
Rabbit Leader is offline Find More Posts by Rabbit Leader
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:33 AM
WAA pilot #21
Princeton NJ
Joined Dec 2003
3,166 Posts
In the 5 months or so ive belonged to a club, ive never had a frequency problem. Even if i did, it wouldnt break my heart to just sit and watch some of those guys fly. Theres usually at least one guy with a .90 chopper, a way-over-powered 4stroke bipe, or the 80 year old guy who can barely see but can fly the most beautiful and perfect patterns you could imagine.
Sometimes i'll just land and watch anyway if there is a really good show going on.

There are a lotta things i want to spend money on - a spectra module is way down on the list.

If the 'other' guy on your freq. is at the field EVERY day for hours, then thats a different story. If that was the case though, just politely ask him to letcha know when hes done. The polite thing to do would be for him to finish his flight, pass you the clip so you can get in a flight, pass the clip back, and so on.
Vanning is offline Find More Posts by Vanning
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:05 AM
Letchworth, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jul 2004
11,715 Posts
Yeah. Even the guy who is at the field EVERY day for hours has to come down some time to change cells (or refuel), have a drink, etc. Personally, I like to take at least a 15-minute break between flights, so sharing a frequency with one other person is no problem.
abenn is offline Find More Posts by abenn
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:45 AM
P-61 WWII Night Fighter
Sylmar, CA
Joined Jan 2004
1,538 Posts
A lot of fields have time limits, like 15 minutes. Ask who is on your channel and agree to take turns.
Solcat is offline Find More Posts by Solcat
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:11 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,443 Posts
Go to the park

Regards,

Tom
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Old Oct 19, 2004, 10:42 AM
Joined Sep 2004
1,134 Posts
So far (the only two times I've been out), I've been lucky. I've seen a couple of the regulars (I used to watch them fly before I bought the plane), and they've been using other freqs. At least I know what to do if it does happen.

Thanks!