HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:19 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Rubber powered free flight conversion- Arrowjet

Hey guys,

Last year after seeing Paul Bradley's cool Rascal free flight-to-R/C conversion, I decided I wanted to try my hand at this too! I talked to Paul about it and eventually decided to try the Arrowjet. Paul has color files posted of this and many other vintage free flight models on his web site ( http://www.parmodels.com/ ). The color files can be printed directly to balsa giving you a pre-painted and decorated plane to work with! Paul has instructions on his site for printing to balsa. I tried it, but unfortunately my home and work printers could not handle 1/32" balsa sheet. Paul was kind enough to print one for me after hearing of my dilemma.

Building the plane was really quick, installing the gear took much longer! I used a JMP receiver, 2 cell conversion board and plug-and-play actuators. Cells are a 2x145 pack. Getting the tail setup was a real hassle. The Arrowjet has swept tail feathers. I won't go into great detail about the pain that caused me, but let me just say that I built 2 different rudders and 4 elevators before getting something that moved properly. In the end I had to square the surfaces to get proper action. Here are some pics:
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:30 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I wish so bad that I could tell you this was a great flying plane! Unfortunately it was plagued with problems right from the start. I used the free flight CG mark to start with. The first flight was short and wild, the CG was too far back. I moved it forward and had similar results. I made some repairs and moved the CG even farther forward. At that point I could fly straight and level, but as soon as I gave rudder it would spiral in. About this time the DEAF event occurred and I saw Paul and Ralph there. We looked over the plane and Paul thought maybe it needed more rudder surface area. Everything else looked OK. I increased the rudder area and tried again. This time it flew farther and higher than ever (about 15' up and 80' out). When I gave it rudder, it went straight for the ground. There were far too many pieces to glue back together that time I have no regrets, it's like Paul said when you try these experiments you never know what's going to fly and what isn't. It was a fun project, I wish it would have flown as nice as it looked. As a replacement (a new home for the gear) I ordered the Micro Swifty from Dynamics Unlimited, it kind of reminds me of the Arrowjet
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:47 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
What a downer. That's a nice looking build. I've got the Rascal started myself. FWIW: The Micro Swifty is a great flyer. I powered it with a M-20 Kenway setup on two cells. It was a rocketship at full throttle. It only needs a single cell. The only thing I would do differntly with mine is cover the wing with tissue or litespan instead of solite. I've gotta get it airworthy on a single cell power setup. Maybe a good test bed for some falcon 1.7g servos.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
Old Oct 16, 2004, 10:59 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Thanks! You'll like the Rascal, I've seen Paul's fly several times and it's sweet! He flew it in some pretty heavy wind last year and it held its ground just fine.

Thanks for the info on the Swifty! I did a search on it here before buying it, but didn't turn anything up on it other than a picture in a "new release" thread. Glad to hear it flies well Did the SoLite add too much weight, or warp the airframe?
Old Oct 16, 2004, 11:18 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
I like the Guillows LG. Have you tried any others? He really does have some nice models there for download.
Pete P. is offline Find More Posts by Pete P.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 07:06 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
What a nice little model, I hope others will follow suit, there is a massive selection to choose from and you can scale at will and use foam or balsa, Paul has done us proud and you have done him proud with this model.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres Wright
Did the SoLite add too much weight, or warp the airframe?
It was my first experience with solite. I didn't have trouble with it sticking to itself. I did not appear to want to shrink much. I hit it with the heat gun and got it nice and tight AND crushed most of the right wing panel

Repaired and recovered ok. But, the dark blue shows every speck of dust and fingerprint. It looks like hell most of the time..
Old Oct 17, 2004, 10:05 AM
Joined Sep 2002
6,533 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Stabler
What a nice little model, I hope others will follow suit, there is a massive selection to choose from and you can scale at will and use foam or balsa, Paul has done us proud and you have done him proud with this model.

Graham
Having printed a Rascl directly on balsa, I would suggest anyone wishing to attempt one print using Gordon's printing on tissue method. I was able to get an HP 1220c to feed 1/32 balsa, but it was rough on the wood. The Rascal is back in the forseeable queue, so I shoulkd have it airworthy soon.
Last edited by Graham Stabler; Oct 18, 2004 at 11:48 AM.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 03:45 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Pete, this is the only one I've tried. If I could print them out myself I'd try again.

Graham, many thanks! I regret not getting it to fly before making toothpicks out of it

T, I've been using SoLite for quite some time now and really love it. It requires some specific techniques though, because it's not like other coverings. I never use a heat gun on it, even when covering large areas. I only use an iron and frequently adjust the heat (less for tacking down and initial shrink, more for final shrink). It'll shrink a LOT under a heat gun.

Is there a thread somewhere about Graham's technique on how to print to tissue? Paul mentioned to me that someone had done exactly that with some of the files off his site. He said it worked really well.
Old Oct 17, 2004, 05:51 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
I believe you use a dusting of 3m77 on a sheet of regular paper, attach the tissue, print, then let it dry fora min and peel it off. I believe that's how it went....I'll have to try it!!!
Old Oct 17, 2004, 08:11 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Sounds easy enough. How do you attach it to the balsa, watered down white glue? And how do you keep the ink from running when applying it?
Old Oct 17, 2004, 09:14 PM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
White glue, dusting of 3m77, I'm not too sure what's lighter. We'll ask Graham! Or Ralph himself?
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:01 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
I have one of Paul's articles from Model Aviation where he detailed Ralph's method, but I don't think he's ever used that for tissue that has been printed on. For regular tissue Ralph gets really nice results, it looks like stained balsa when he's done! I think the glue would make the ink run on printed tissue though.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 05:38 AM
Brandon Mississippi/Independence Kentucky
Joined Oct 2000
553 Posts
I have used thin white glue (thinned with Alcohol) to apply printed tissue with no problem. Dope and dope thinner will not cause the printing to run but water will.

Ralph
Ralph B is offline Find More Posts by Ralph B
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:29 AM
Frequent Poster
South of Boston
Joined Mar 2004
846 Posts
Thanks Ralph! For pointers and the model!